HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   VickieH - trailblazing Pazopanib (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40877)

StephN 08-26-2009 12:51 PM

VickieH - trailblazing Pazopanib

Dear Vickie -

I noticed that you have begin your new trial drug, Pazopanib. In looking it up, I see that it is basically a new type of angiogenetic drug, which cuts off nourishment and cell growth stimulents to the tumor(s). This is really exciting, expecially in that it has been effective in diferent cancers.

Please let us know how you are feeling with the drug. Side effects, etc. Also, how did you get dialed in with this one?? You are the first person I know who is taking this, so am interested in more details.

Besides you have all my best wishes for some positive news when you have tumor markers, scans, etc.

SOME BASIC INFO:
By inhibiting VEGFR, PDGFR, and c-kit, pazopanib may stop or slow the rate of tumor growth and development. pazopanib is currently being studied in a number of different tumor types; clinical trials are currently underway in RCC, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, soft tissue sarcoma, NSCLC, cervical cancer and other solid tumors. It is being evaluated as a monotherapy,(4) in combination with targeted therapies(15) and in combination with cytotoxic chemotherapy.(16) More than 1,400 patients have been treated to date in clinical trials. For further details please visit http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. pazopanib is not approved for marketing by any regulatory body.

Mary Anne in TX 08-26-2009 12:59 PM

Re: VickieH - trailblazing Pazopanib

I'm sure cheering for ya, Vickie! Are you doing this in California?
ma

vickie h 08-26-2009 08:11 PM

Thanks Steph and MA,
My two sweet sisters!
My mets were spreading through the breast skin and lymph so rapidly that my Onc suggested this trial, which is being studied at several sites. Dr. Rosen in Santa Monica (my Onc's partner) Is conducting this study, so I was very fortunate to get in as I have exhausted all the chemos.
I will be on this first leg of this for 12 weeks, then CT scans to see if it is working and if it is then there is the possibility of adding Lapatanib with it.
I have been on it for over a week now and so far have experienced a little fatigue and even less nausea. The biggest SE is low white counts. If I can keep those above 1,000 then I can continue with no interuption. They can't administer Neupogen or Neulasta on this trial, so I'll cross my fingers that all goes well.
The drug seems to be showing some great results so far and I feel very encouraged, though there are days when the itching (from the IBC mets) is a bit hard to take. I've seen no improvement or regression yet, but it is early and I have hope.
I will keep you informed as to it's efficacy. There are not many more places I can go with this, so please keep me in your prayers as you are always in mine.
Love and trust and hope,
Vickie

Mary Anne in TX 08-27-2009 07:14 AM

Vickie, as always, you are one heck of a brave person! A trial drug that has the potential to rid you of those awful mets. I'm prayin' my heart out that you are the superstar of this program!
Please, please keep us informed and let us pray with you through this trial and the side effects that come with it. I know that you are making the very best of each day and doing more than your part to make things work. Much love, ma

vickie h 08-27-2009 07:37 AM

Thank you, MA, you have truely been such a big part of my journey and I fee; blessed to have you in my life.
I am taking it one day at a time and praying for the best. Whatever the outcome, I feel no fear right now, just acceptance for what is.
I love you,
Vickie

Yorkiegirl 08-27-2009 07:51 AM

Vickie many prayers and keeping all finger's, toe's and crossed and the furkid's will cross all paw's that this new drug works for you. I'm sorry you are so itchy, I know it has to be a horrible feeling.

suzan w 08-28-2009 01:55 PM

Go Trailblazer, GO!!!

Becky 08-28-2009 07:34 PM

I just want to add my "Ole!" to the mix.

My thoughts are with you.

vickie h 08-28-2009 08:39 PM

Becky, Suzan and Vicki,
Thank you for your support. It is a rocky path we walk but so much easier with friends like you nearby.

I love you all,
Vickie

StephN 09-10-2009 03:38 PM

Dear Vickie -
Been thinking about you and curious about the effect the new drug is having on you mets? See any improvement with your skin mets? For that you don't need wait for a CT!

Sending positive prayers for best blessings your way.

Sheila 09-10-2009 06:49 PM

Vickie
Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you as you trail blaze this new drug.....I hope it can bring a miracle to you.....and get you to NED once and for all! Please keep us up on all the details.,..you are our eyes and ears on this one!

ElaineM 09-10-2009 09:21 PM

Good luck Vickie. I hope you are successful. Keep us posted.

ammebarb 09-11-2009 12:37 PM

I'm thinking of you too, Vickie and hope that this does mighty things for you!

Barb A.

Patb 09-11-2009 01:35 PM

Adding my thoughts and prayers that this will
be the answer. I hope things are going ok and
your counts are staying up.
patb

Bill 09-11-2009 07:51 PM

You go, girl! We're here praying and cheering for you. Love, Bill

IRENE FROM TAMPA 09-13-2009 09:29 AM

Vickie - so happy you found this trial and were able to get on it.

I wish you much luck with it and let us know how it's coming along.

Mary Anne in TX 09-13-2009 11:17 AM

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_1_216.gif Hi Vickie! Just sending extra positive vibes your way today!!!!! Much love, ma

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp...p=ZRxdm429YYUS

Faith in Him 09-13-2009 11:21 AM

Hi Vickie,

Just adding my prayers to the rest of the group. I hope you are doing well.

Love,
Tonya

MJo 09-13-2009 01:42 PM

Thank you for testing this new drug. Looking forward to hearing more reports from you.

vickie h 10-18-2009 09:10 PM

Hi my sweet sisters and brothers,

The trial didn't go well I'm sorry to say. My mets have become extensive to the skin and my latest PET shows mets in my lungs now. I was taken off the trial after 6 weeks and they are now trying Gemzar with Cisplatin as the only weapon against this. Because my port is covered with the mets, they are trying to find veins to deliver the chemo, which has been difficult.
I am afraid I am losing my up-hill climb, though I hang onto every branch and patch of grass I find in this journey.
I want to thank my dear sisters and brothers here for all your support over the years and your love and compassion. I will continue to live each day to the fullest with grace and spirit and hope.
I haven't been on the boards lately because it has been a challenge to come up with the words to let you know what is going on. I feel so many others are going through such trying times (Barb, Marie, Joy, Pam) that I didn't want to add to toll that is being taken. But I love all of you and feel I needed to let you know.
Please pray for me and the others who seek hope and strength right now.
I love you all dearly,
Vickie