HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Another short lived treatment (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29363)

kareneg 07-30-2007 01:36 PM

Another short lived treatment

Well Doxil has stopped working. It seems the last few treatment have lasted only four or five months. I seen the doctor today and he told me that two spots in the liver and the spot on my pancreas have doubled in size the largest being 5.7x4.2cm in the liver. So starting tomorrow I will be on Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. I just hope and pray that it keeps these pesky buggers at bay longer than four or five months. I have been having fevers for almost two months was in the hospital for two days and they could find no reason for the fevers well this is the cause it was the tumors growing. I just hope I get some relief soon these fevers have knocked me right down. In this nine year rollar coaster ride I have never felt so sick. And this will be the fourth time I will be losing my hair. I have been holding off on dying it good thing I did lol. All I want to do is feel better, thanks for listening to me vent I love you all and this site has kept me going for along time know.

Believe51 07-30-2007 02:01 PM

Keep The Chin Up!!!

Hard to do Lovey, I know. Hubby is in the same spot except our journey is just beginning (9/7/07 is one year!! Whew!). I will continuing to pray for you Darling, it is a matter of finding something that does work for you and my hubby. Right now we are a little afraid but I am sure once we have something that works we will settle down a bit. The anxiety is making me crazy!!!

You will be in our continued prayers and we are sending out positive vibes. You know I love my candles and burn two per day, well today you will have one all of your own!! Keep that fighting spirit and keep the faith!!

Waiting For A Miracle...and commanding one soon>>Believe51

tousled1 07-30-2007 03:03 PM

Karen,

I'm so sorry to hear that the Doxil stopped working. TCH is a good combo and I'm praying that this new regime will knock the mets out once and for all.

G. Ann 07-30-2007 05:08 PM

So many others on the website are more knowledgeable and experienced with what you are now going through than I am so I don't have any personal comments to offer. But I sure hope and pray the new combo of chemo drugs is tolerable for you and eliminates every last nasty cell once and for all.

I'm sending you positive thoughts and prayers all the way across the country from Lincoln, CA.

chrisy 07-30-2007 05:17 PM

Karen, I bet you feel pretty discouraged about all this. I don't know what you 've had before chemo-wise, but I had T/C/H and it really blasted my extensive liver mets. I hope this will be true for you and that it will keep them at bay for a long time.

Have you tried Tykerb/Xeloda? lots of ladies are having very good success with that.

Hang in there my dear.

Real quick, you could dye your hair purple just for fun? Of course with my luck, if I did that my hair wouldn't fall out after all!

Mary Jo 07-30-2007 06:54 PM

Hi Karen,

Just wanting to say that I'm sorry you are feeling poorly and that the treatment you were doing is no longer working. I do pray that the new "cocktail" will do the trick.

I'm sorry Karen. I wish I had more to offer as far as words go, but know that I truly care and would do anything if I could take this all from you.

May God's Peace surround you,

Mary Jo

Karen Weixel 07-30-2007 08:54 PM

I am praying for you Karen. As mentioned above, the combo you are going to be on is a good one. That's all it takes, is one good one!

Stay strong.

Hugs and prayers,

Karen

Vanessa 07-30-2007 09:05 PM

I hope this drug combo works well for you and you are feeling better soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Soccermom 07-30-2007 09:20 PM

Dear Karen..
I too am hoping that the new treatment will do the job and cause you to feel better. In my thoughts and prayers,
Marcia

Lolly 07-30-2007 09:32 PM

Karen, you have lots of hugs and prayers coming your way, and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as you start this new combo which I know is a good one. Let us know how it goes when you feel up to posting again, and stay strong.

<3 Lolly

kareneg 07-31-2007 04:29 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all the well wishes it means the world to me. I sailed through the treatment today and now we just have to wait and see what happens. I have to go back tomorrow the Onc wants me to have a Neulasta shot this is my first time having anything like this. So if anyone has any info on side efffects on this if any I would truly appriciate it. I love you all and I pray for us all everyday. I will keep updating as soon as I get some results

Mary Jo 07-31-2007 04:41 PM

Hi Karen,

I'm so happy today is done and you "sailed through it." Yahoo!!!!

As for Neulasta, I had that shot the day after chemo also. The Neulasta shot (I think) kept my blood counts "awesome" throughout my 8 cycles of dose dense A/C & Taxol along with herceptin. Never once did I have low blood counts. I'm assuming that was because of Neulasta (and of course God's hand). Neulasta does (or at least caused me) shoulder pain and quite a bit of that. My onc. nurse told me though to be thankful for that as it meant I had good marrow. So everytime I was achin' I would thank God - (man that was tough - hahahahaha)

So, good luck. Keep us posted please.

Love & God's Peace I pray you,

Mary Jo

Catherine 07-31-2007 09:34 PM

Karen,

Glad to hear from the other gals that the TCH is such a good combo. I will hope and pray it works longer than the 4-5 months you mentioned. You have obviously been brave through all these treatments. Keep up the good work. Why does it have to be so hard.? We are all behind you.

Hugs and Hope, Catherine

Gerri 08-01-2007 07:56 AM

Karen,

Neulasta can cause bone pain but I never experienced any. I do have a tip for cutting down on the sting of the injection. The drug is refridgerated until use but if the nurse rubs it between his/her hands for a few minutes prior to administering it it makes a world of difference. Once I knew that I was sure to remind my nurse to start rubbing before injecting!

Best of luck to you with your treatment.

doh2pa 08-01-2007 08:54 AM

Hi Karen,

Gerri is right about the shot, getting it to room temperature does make it hurt less. Also, ask them to push it slowly.

For the bone pain, just take some Tylenol, it did help.

TCH totally wiped out my liver mets last year, hopefully it will do the same for you.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted on your progress.

Donna

Shell 08-01-2007 02:21 PM

Doxil did not work for me either - I hope the next course brings you comfort...

Regards,

Vanessa 08-04-2007 11:42 AM

I forgot to mention above that TCH also knocked out my extensive liver mets. They are nowhere to be seen at this time. I do get the results of my petscan on Monday, hopefully it will be clear. Best wishes to you. I am glad that you tolerated your first round of TCH well. The major side effects I had were naseau, fatigue and sore lining inside the mouth. It was definately doable.

StillHere 08-04-2007 01:31 PM

Joe, It seems that my profile picture ended up on Karen Weixel's profile. I sure hope Karen Weixel is not too offended. Is there anyway for you to move it, or does Karen W.need to delete it and I added it to my Stillhere handle. Thanks for any help.

StillHere 08-04-2007 01:36 PM

Karen, Good luck on TCH. Have my fingers and toes crossed for you. Peace Karen Schneck

Mary Anne in TX 08-04-2007 02:50 PM

Hi Karen!
I took a Neulasta shot at the end of each of my Taxol, Carboplatin, Herceptin treatments. Had no problems with it and it kept my blood counts great!!!! Best of luck with your treatment. I'm praying that it is exactly what is needed. Keep up the good fight. This just might be THE answer for you. ma