HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   bladder dysfunction may be associated with herceptin use--anyone with symptoms? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47731)

Lani 11-27-2010 09:36 PM

bladder dysfunction may be associated with herceptin use--anyone with symptoms?

Urol Int. 2010 Nov 27. [Epub ahead of print]
Observation of de Novo Bladder Dysfunction under Treatment with Her2-neu Antibodies.
Hinkel A, Strumberg D, Noldus J, Pannek J.

Department of Urology, Marienhospital, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Bochum, Germany.
Abstract
Purpose: We diagnosed de novo bladder dysfunction in several breast cancer patients under cancer-specific therapy with trastuzumab. The goal of this retrospective analysis was to investigate whether bladder dysfunction is common in a larger population of breast cancer patients receiving trastuzumab therapy. Patients and Methods: We identified 93 patients who received at least two doses of trastuzumab at our institution in the years 2003-2006. 57 of those patients were still alive at the time of this analysis. We mailed a validated global questionnaire for the assessment of incontinence (King's Health Questionnaire, KHQ) to them, additionally asking for bladder dysfunction observed under trastuzumab therapy. Results: 43 (75%) of the patients returned the questionnaire, 11 (25%) of them reporting severe de novo bladder dysfunction under therapy. Significant differences between symptomatic and asymptomatic patients were detected in all KHQ subscales. Previous conditions and surgeries as well as medications, especially hormonal therapy, were excluded as underlying causes. However, there were more patients under taxane-based chemotherapy in the symptomatic group. Conclusions: The epidermal growth factor receptor is involved in the cellular response to mechanical stretch in the urinary bladder. Based on our findings, we hypothesize that interfering with this pathway may well be the cause of symptomatic bladder dysfunction in patients under trastuzumab medication. A prospective study is required to further elucidate this hypothesis.

Copyright © 2010 S. Karger AG, Basel.
PMID: 21109724

Chelee 11-27-2010 10:30 PM

Re: bladder dysfunction may be associated with herceptin use--anyone with symptoms?

Interesting...although no problems here that I know of.

Chelee

ammebarb 11-28-2010 08:04 AM

Re: bladder dysfunction may be associated with herceptin use--anyone with symptoms?

My sis told me that during her treatment, she barely made it to the powder room upon many occasions. She said that there was little time between the urge to urinate and the need to "be parked". Interesting study....she'll be glad to know there may have been a real reason!

Mary L 11-28-2010 09:08 AM

I definately have very little warning when it is time. I run to the restroom. I had alot of Herceptin!!! Mary L

Nancy L 11-28-2010 09:38 AM

I definitely have this side effect and it is helpful to now know which drug is causing it. I have been on Herceptin almost six years. I wonder if the researchers looked at any of the current incontinence drugs on the market to see if they would help us.

StephN 11-28-2010 02:56 PM

Interesting. It seems that most drugs can cause any number of side effects, and the more people that take a given drug the more SEs will be reported.

My over 7-year experience on the drug gave me no such problem. Only that I have to use the potty once in the very wee hours some nights, but not all the time. This can be caused by mere aging or increasing fluid intake.

Now that I have been off Herceptin for 2 years, I really notice no change in urination habits.

pennyvphoto 11-28-2010 03:53 PM

Thanks for posting this lani it explains a lot!!

caya 11-28-2010 08:37 PM

I was always prone to UTIs, chemo and Herceptin added to this problem. I am on a daily antibiotic to stave off them off, not fun. This would explain alot, Lani. Chalk up another wonderful s/e...

all the best
caya

Hopeful 11-29-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

The epidermal growth factor receptor is involved in the cellular response to mechanical stretch in the urinary bladder.
Hmm, that is interesting to me. I did not experience urinary problems while on Herceptin (or since my tx), but the bladder is not the only organ that "stretches". I had (and still have) an issue with vaginal stretching, despite hormonal tx for Vaginal Atrophy that my gyne tells me was 100% successful, based on the re-eptihelialization of the cells. Wonder if the year of Herceptin is the culprit in this?

Hopeful

Mary L 11-29-2010 08:53 AM

Nancy L, Good morning! I read that you have been on Herceptin for nearly 6 years. Are you having any of the usual side effects, ie: red, dry eyes, hand & foot neuropathy, red face along with hot flashes,fatigue, chemo fog. I was on Herceptin for 5 years and I am off it for 3 years. I still have all of the above except for red eyes. I was just curious. Mary L

Nancy L 11-30-2010 03:39 PM

Mary L---Congrats on being NED for 3 yrs!

I must admit, it is often difficult for me to determine which drug caused a problem. For example, I didn't find out until four years out that Taxotere was the reason I didn't get my hair back (1-3% of women experience this nasty surprise). The four years I was on Herceptin only, I experienced fatigue, red tearing eyes, peeling nails, incontinence and a constant runny nose. I have been on Herceptin plus Tykerb for 21 months. Most troubling new side effects are chronic diarrhea and rash.

I also have a severe case of vaginal atrophy and the docs won't give me anything to help even though I am estrogen receptor negative. Glad to finally know Herceptin may be the culprit. I always figured is was the AC. My experience has been that the oncology community doesn't really want to talk about quality of life issues. The attitude here in California is as long as you are still alive and a side effect doesn't keep you from getting treated, you should be grateful.

Managing the side effects of BC is a challenge and sometimes I get depressed. The list of things I have had to give up (including sex and my hair) because of this disease is long. But then again, if I hadn't taken Herceptin I wouldn't be around to even think about it.

Karen Wheel 12-01-2010 08:37 AM

Wow --- interesting as I had so many problems with my bladder when I was on Herceptin... it was like I was almost scared I had bladder cancer (as it was just not wanting to give me even a few weeks rest from symptoms). Now that I am 6 months out from Herceptin it l seems to be almost gone. I still take a cranberry supplement daily and drink lots of water to try to keep it that way!

Interesting... Now I know I am not crazy! :-) Thank you!

Karen

msleslie 03-02-2011 10:50 AM

I'm currently on herceptin & Tykerb and just recently noticed a problem with incontinence so I came here to see if I was crazy or if this was a known symptom. Surprise, surprise - glad its not just me being lazy. LOL

SoCalGal 03-02-2011 09:51 PM

Definite differences with frequency and urgency. Definite challenges with stretchiness and s to the e to the x. Still trying to remedy whatever I can whenever I can to increase quality of life.

msleslie 04-26-2011 02:37 PM

I'm beginning to feel like I need to wear a diaper. I just had my Herceptin treatment last Thursday and right now have frequent urgent need to urinate - I'm literally running to the bathroom. After about a week it will get a little better but returns with each herceptin dose.

Karen Wheel 04-27-2011 09:22 AM

Another good thing I found that worked (or at least helped!) when I was on Herceptin and actually even now almost a year out from Herceptin I still use this! But search at your local healthfood - Vitamin store (or search to order on-line) for a product called D-Mannose. I really had the best success with the powdered version of this from a company named Pure Encapsulations. It is a super good grade and it really does help a LOT! But it is a natural sugar that somehow helps the bladder. They use it for bladder infections as it helps attract the bacteria to the "sugar" and then you pee the bacteria out (in theory) but even though I wasn't actually having a bladder infection (just felt like it!) it did help with the bladder overall - so I am not sure what other healing properties it might have for the bladder in general. All I know is it was all that kept me sane when I was on the Herceptin.

Give it a try! Also .... I take (and took during treatment) a very high dose of Vitamin C which I believe that Vitamin C cures everything. It is a super immune booster and I think this also would really help you! I started with 2,000 - 3,000 mg (2-3 grams) a day and upped that slowly (as you have to build up over a week or two to higher doses or you end up with the runs!) but I now take 7 grams (7,000 mg) to 10,000 a day. I use a powdered concentrate that is like 5,000 mg for a smalll teaspoon full of powder and I put it in my fresh juice daily.

And.... I have not been sick since I started the vitamin C. Not a cold, a sore throat, cough, flu ... NOTHING ... And I am still NED too! I accredit this to the Vitamin C and my other supplements, but as strange as it sounds, I am more healthy (lots!) now than I was before I got cancer!

There is a bright side!
:-)
For more info please feel free to email me directly - "wheelistic@yahoo.com"
Karen

v-ness 05-04-2011 01:07 PM

fascinating.

since i've always been a big water drinker, i've always had to go to the bathroom, but i noticed this past year that i could no longer make it through the night. and of course that was the year i was on herceptin.

i'd taken effexor for hot flashes but it ceased to work so i started my own quest for anything else that would help. i was having about 30-40 bad ones a day. i discovered oxybutynin which happens to be for exactly what you're talking about. it's original design is to help with incontinence and because it is drying it staves off the hot flashes. i am down to just a couple a day now and usually only after coffee or when it is warm. i only take 2 pills a day, though i was prescribed 3. i certainly have to pee a LOT less, which is a blessing. dry mouth comes with it, but eventually fades. the funny thing is that with dry mouth you drink more which means i still get up once a night. but once a night is a small price to pay for salvation from hot flashes.

btw, oxybutynin is a very safe drug.

valerie