HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Update on My Sister (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46838)

Becky 09-23-2010 03:29 PM

Update on My Sister

Dear Friends

I figured I would update on my sister today. She had her lumpectomy and they also took 6 nodes (before even testing if it was only dcis as the biopsy said - they told her today they did this because the first one looked suspicious). But she only had dcis (6.7mm). She found out today that it is high grade, ER+ 99%, PR+ 70%. They do not run Her2 on dcis apparently, it isn't routine. She is having blood drawn for BRCA testing (my cousin and I were negative and I am thinking my sister will be as well but you never know). If positive, she will have a bilateral. If negative, she will have radiation. She is holding up very well, working etc. The lumpectomy and node dissection was September 2. I am worried though since high grade dcis is not a good thing but it is better than high grade invasive cancer.

It will be interesting to see her BRCA result. If she is positive, I am going to get Muriad to relook at that section of my dna. Mistakes are made which would be a shame as it would have "saved" my sister since when I got tested, she said if I was positive, she would test. And if she was positive, she was going to do all the prophylactic surgeries straight away.

Hope you are all having a lovely day.

tricia keegan 09-23-2010 04:26 PM

Re: Update on My Sister

Becky, thanks for the update and while I know it's not routine to test for her2 on dcis, if I had this I'd want to know the results.
Can she insist on getting this done???
Everything crossed for a negative result on the BRAC and hope she recovers soon:)

sassy 09-23-2010 06:02 PM

Hey Becky,

I'm glad your sister has your knowledge to draw on. Although HER2+ is supposedly not hereditary, all things considered, could she push for HER2+ testing? The more knowledge, the better.

Becky 09-24-2010 02:37 PM

When I told my sister that she should push for it, she said the doctor said they don't because dcis is non-invasive cancer, most dcis is Her2+ but most changes to something else if it becomes invasive and there is nothing that is given regardless.

Oddly, there is a study for using Herceptin for dcis. My sister is going to look into it and get the info from her onc. Apparently they are trialing Herceptin in newly diagnosed dcis patients to see if it helps in recurrence prevention. Very interesting.

tricia keegan 09-24-2010 03:07 PM

I had heard of this trial too Becky which is why I asked the question, so glad your sis is looking into it and that she has you to help advise her:)

karen z 09-25-2010 08:02 AM

Becky,
Thanks for this update and I, too, am SO grateful that your sister has you to help her sort out everything and find the most up to date treatment plans. Please let us know what happens next.
Love,
Karen

lexigirl 09-26-2010 03:56 PM

Dear Becky,

Your sister is lucky to have you by her side throughout this. I am relieved it is DCIS, but it is still terrible no matter. I am hopeful that whatever decision is made for her tx that she will have peace in her mind and heart. It is no fun...

Hugs to you and your dear sis,
Lexi

krisvell 09-26-2010 04:00 PM

Becky,
Sending my support, prayers and love to your sister (an you too!).

Kris....

MJo 09-26-2010 04:43 PM

I know a woman who had DCIS 7 years ago and now has bone mets. She says her doctor told her she is the 1% of DCIS women who recur. I am glad she has you in her corner.

caya 09-26-2010 06:56 PM

Good luck with your sister Becky!!

all the best
caya

Jackie07 09-26-2010 07:53 PM

I just sent the following to my Sisters overseas:

Over the course of a lifetime, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
Risk factors you cannot change include:
· Age and gender -- Your risk of developing breast cancer increases as you get older. The majority of advanced breast cancer cases are found in women over age 50. Women are 100 times more likely to get breast cancer than men.
· Family history of breast cancer -- You may also have a higher risk for breast cancer if you have a close relative who has had breast, uterine, ovarian, or colon cancer. About 20 - 30% of women with breast cancer have a family history of the disease.
· Genes -- Some people have genes that make them more prone to developing breast cancer. The most common gene defects are found in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. These genes normally produce proteins that protect you from cancer. But if a parent passes you a defective gene, you have an increased risk for breast cancer. Women with one of these defects have up to an 80% chance of getting breast cancer sometime during their life.
· Menstrual cycle -- Women who get their periods early (before age 12) or went through menopause late (after age 55) have an increased risk for breast cancer.

Other risk factors include:
· Alcohol use -- Drinking more than 1 - 2 glasses of alcohol a day may increase your risk for breast cancer.
· Childbirth -- Women who have never had children or who had them only after age 30 have an increased risk for breast cancer. Being pregnant more than once or becoming pregnant at an early age reduces your risk of breast cancer.
· DES -- Women who took diethylstilbestrol (DES) to prevent miscarriage may have an increased risk of breast cancer after age 40. This drug was given to the women in the 1940s - 1960s.
· Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) -- You have a higher risk for breast cancer if you have received hormone replacement therapy for several years or more. Many women take HRT to reduce the symptoms of menopause.
· Obesity -- Obesity has been linked to breast cancer, although this link is controversial. The theory is that obese women produce more estrogen, which can fuel the development of breast cancer.
· Radiation -- If you received radiation therapy as a child or young adult to treat cancer of the chest area, you have a significantly higher risk for developing breast cancer. The younger you started such radiation and the higher the dose, the higher your risk -- especially if the radiation was given when a female was developing breasts.
Breast implants, using antiperspirants, and wearing underwire bras do not raise your risk for breast cancer. There is no evidence of a direct link between breast cancer and pesticides.
The National Cancer Institute provides an online tool to help you figure out your risk of breast cancer. See: www.cancer.gov/bcrisktoolwww.cancer.gov/bcrisktool

Joan M 10-15-2010 05:59 PM

Becky,

Glad to hear that your sister is holding up and has you for support.

I would also push for HER2 testing. I had two tumors in the same breast, one was dcis and the other invasive. Both were tested for HER2, but perhaps because an invasive tumor was involved.

Joan