HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   To PET or Not To PET, Just CT (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61020)

KDR 05-18-2014 05:24 PM

To PET or Not To PET, Just CT

Hi, All,
Wondering...some oncos do not do PET scans. They rely on CTs alone. I recently consulted with a well-known (ok, world-reknowned) doctor who refuses to do PETs. What does YOUR onco prefer?
Thanks,
Karen

Adriana Mangus 05-18-2014 05:32 PM

Re: To PET or Not To PET, Just CT

Hi Karen,

My oncologist requests Pet-scans every 6 months, or if during treatment (s) the numbers are high. Since my ca is located on the chest area it does makes sense to just do the Ct-Scan- we do these more often-- but we include abdomen as well.

Also, if a developed a nagging pain somewhere in the body, the doctor rapidly sends for a full body scan-- not a density scan. We found a small spot on the rib right side, it was radiated and is gone- - hope so, no pain anymore.

If anyone can think of any other scans we might need please share your knowledge with us.

Thinking of you, my beloved Karen.

Adriana

Bunty 05-18-2014 05:39 PM

Hi Karen, very interesting subject you bring up. My onc generally prefers CT as I understand he believes them to deliver a clearer picture of the 'state of play'. However, he has also sent me for a few PET scans, but they were done specifically to see if the tumours were active. I know this is a weird way of explaining, but we wanted to see if only the liver tumour/s were active, as that meant we would seek local intervention (which of course finally occurred for me with the liver resection a couple of week's ago). If my lung tumours had lit up on the last PET scan, we would have had to undertake systemic treatment, which probably would have been TDM-1.

Cheers Marie

Adriana Mangus 05-18-2014 05:43 PM

Dear Bunty,

Let's pray you are NED after the third of you liver being resected.

Hope you are doing great.

Take care,

Adriana

suzan w 05-18-2014 07:13 PM

My Inc did not think pet scans were necessary...just did CT scans.

sarah 05-19-2014 06:19 AM

Found this comparison:
http://www.diffen.com/difference/CT_Scan_vs_PET_Scan

michka 05-19-2014 10:02 AM

Hi Karen
My weak spot for some time was my liver so my onc would alternate a MRI (no radiation) and a Pet/scan every 3 months.

StephN 05-19-2014 08:01 PM

For those of us who have been left with spots of scarring where a tumor has died, it can be confusing as to what is or is not "active" cancer.

Also once in a while we can develop a cyst in our lung or elsewhere or something called a hemangioma, and these are not very well defined by CT alone. If they don't change after a long period an assumption could be made, but in my case I would want to know and not get a surprise down the road.

Maybe the CT technology is coming along and is more reliable for these questions? Would love to know the venerated doctor's reasoning.

KDR 05-19-2014 08:10 PM

Oncologist's reasoning is, "O.K., so there's glucose uptake...what do I do with this information?" I liked that.

Karen

Henny 05-20-2014 08:50 AM

Personally I would have the PET/CT scan. The CT shows only morphology (shape and form). The PET shows cell metabolism (cells that are actively growing take up more of the radioactive sugar and show up on the scan)

Why not get more info rather than less? And as far as radiation dose.... really at this point in our treatments a little more radiation isn't a big deal in my mind especially if it can help us get treatment earlier.

StephN 05-20-2014 02:32 PM

Henny - Thanks for posting about the PET/CT. Reminded me that I did have that 3 or 4 times for my annual checkup. My onc wanted to better follow some of the spots and cysts. Last year I just had the CT, as nothing had changed and my blood work/tumor markers were all good.

This is an expensive combination scan, but my onc seems to feel that it is useful for certain patients.

P.S. KDR - from your signature it looks as though you have had the combo PET/CT as well. Were they useful?

KsGal 05-20-2014 10:05 PM

My oncologist has only given me one PET scan, and that was after I was diagnosed but before surgery. I get CT scans every three months of my abdomen and pelvis, but MRIs of my brain every three months as well. I have actually asked for one, as it has been over two years, but he just keeps telling me that we will wait for symptoms that indicate I need it. I feel like I am okay with that for now. It's just my paranoia that keeps me asking for them about six months.

Catherine 05-23-2014 08:11 PM

Hi Karen,

Just want to say hi an say I am glad that you are working with a world-reknowed onc! I am hoping he is treating you well and helping you to the best of his ability. I have no information to add about the scans. Just want you to know I am sending good vibes your way!

Hugs,

KDR 05-24-2014 05:35 AM

Hi, Catherine,
He was my second opinion. Great man, great doctor. Some new ideas. I still have my own doctor, I'll never give her up. What became clear to me during the second opinion process (which was in a different state) is that my doctor is doing all she can for me, above and beyond, and I personally know she has twisted some arms on my behalf. I went because I like learning, and I wanted a new set of eyes on my paperwork. Just to see. I don't know how much differently it was going to be: my doctor and he are both colleagues and close friends.
Love
Karen

KDR 05-24-2014 05:42 AM

StephN,
Re: PET-CT
I just do what they say. Usually, and "usual" is that I have been on some trial or other, there is a protocol set out. Most likely, a CT scan. I would imagine I have almost as many PETs as CTs. I've also had the PET/CT many times.
Some oncologists prefer to do only CTs. I guess it is a matter of choice among doctors.
Really hoping that I get out of this and don't have to do ANYTHING.

Thanks for your input and experience, everyone.
Karen