HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Nervous - Alkaline Phosphate and Calcium Tests (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27176)

CherylS 02-26-2007 04:40 PM

Nervous - Alkaline Phosphate and Calcium Tests

I had my 2 year chest x-ray and bone scans today, and am a bit on edge. I just wanted to put a question out there for someone, like, say Becky or another smart person like her. I got my labs back already, except for the markers of course, and I have just been noticing a gradual climb in my blood calcium and alkaline phosphate levels since May. They are still within normal range, but the calcium is barely. It has gone from 9.1 to 9.8 to 9.6 to 10.2. They say 10.4 is the top end of normal. My alkaline phosphate from 36 to 66 to 93 to 101. Anything unthreatening that could cause this kind of mild increase. As usual, I am the only one freaking out about this. I have been on lipitor for about six months now too. It isn't doing a thing for my cholestorol, but could it be doing this?

Appreciate the chance to maybe sleep tonight.

skeetur 02-26-2007 05:41 PM

Are you taking femara? Are you taking calcium supplements?

Some of the AIs reduce bone calcium levels and that could increase blood calcium level, I would think.

I had high (above the normal range) calcium levels for quite a while pre-breast cancer. I had an adenoma (tumor) on one of my parathyroid glands. The adenoma was causing overstimulation of my parathyroid gland which caused more parathyroid horomone (PTH) to be given off causing my calcium levels high - calcium was being pulled from my bones. I have osteopenia because of it. I had the adenoma removed a year ago - they are 98% benign and mine was nothing.

Coincidentally I've had problems with alkaline phosphate too. Mine is bouncing around but I believe it is because I take so many vitamins. I had gastric bypass surgery and have to take quite a few supplements. Been trying to tweak them to see if it helps the level. Even tylenol can affect liver enzyme levels. Lots of other meds can effect liver enzymes and YES lipitor can cause them to be off!

Hope all is well.

Skeetur

Hopeful 02-26-2007 06:30 PM

Cheryl,

Have you been taking any proton pump inhibitors (PPI's), i.e., Prilosec, Prevacid, Nexium? JAMA published an article in Dec. 2006 that discussed women taking these medications had a greatly increased risk of hip fracture. The Havard Women's Health Watch says it may be because these drugs inhibit the pumping of hydrocloric acid into the stomach, and acid is necessary to absorb calcium. If you take one of these drugs, it could prevent your body from absorbing the calcium causing a higher blood level. My onc was really upset when the news hit late last year, as he said it was not uncommon for his patients to be on both PPI's and AI's, with the previously unknown potential for serious bone depletion.

Best of luck to you,

Hopeful

Becky 02-26-2007 06:32 PM

Cheryl

If the tests are in the normal range, I am sure all is well. Are you on an AI? If so, are you taking adequeate calcium and vitamin D? Are you on a bone hardener? If not, you may be losing bone mass which would cause both alkaline phosphatase and calcium to rise? If you don't know if you are starting to get osteopenia or osteoporesis, you should get a DEXA test to see the status of your bones as these conditions occur when on AIs.

Any other info because this is all I can offer right now. Any bone pain that has not gone away or anything - I doubt it or you'd have said so. I know its not a load of help.

heblaj01 02-26-2007 06:38 PM

Cheryl,
Since your calcium & ALK are still within normal ranges, you should not worry but start monitoring more closely.
A PET/CT scan may give you further reassurance that nothing wrong is going on in the bones & liver.
In the unlikely case your serum calcium goes overboard, Zometa may be used to clear the problem as it is prescribed for hypercalcemia.

CherylS 02-26-2007 07:14 PM

Wow, thanks you guys. Becky, I am on Femara and have not been doing very well with my Calcium and D. I don't know why I forget this! Must start doing better. Also, as Hopeful said, I have had some indigestion problems lately and have been taking some Pepcid.

Thanks all,
Now I can go to bed and wait for marker and scan results with more peace.

heblaj01 02-27-2007 12:16 AM

Cheryl,
Besides the possible causes of bone density problems mentioned by Hopeful,taking Femara seriously raises the risk of osteoporosis. Even if you were carefull to consistantly supplement with vitamin D & calcium, Femara is such a strong estrogen suppressor that in some patients it can nevertheless cause severe osteoporosis. You should have bone density scans at long intervals of time & at shorter intervals, serum or urine tests for bone resorption markers such as N-Telopeptide. These latter markers do not measure bone density. Consecutive marker tests at 6 to 8 weeks intervals provide an indication of the trend of bone density so as to monitor the side effects of cancer treatment on bone & the efficacy of counteracting bone strengthening drugs.
Relying only on bone density scan at the rate of one per year may not always catch in time a quickly deteriorating bone condition.

Rupali 02-27-2007 06:01 AM

Hi Cheryl,

First of all throw out Lipitor for cholestrol lowering. Go to a good nutriotinist and a naturopath, make lifestyle chnages...
We should reduce as many medicines as possible....
Try eating garlic in the morning, its going to help with your lipid profile...
I might sound a little harsh here but I think thats the way to go....
Stop eating any meat if u eat any....get onto Vegetables and yoga and check your cholestrol after 1 month....u will see the difference...