HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Salad Suggestions (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54523)

Mtngrl 05-26-2012 05:33 PM

Salad Suggestions

Hey everybody, summer's almost here (in the northern hemisphere, anyway). I'm in the mood for getting at least some of my nine-a-day fruits and vegetables raw. Here are some salads I invented recently.

Carrot Mango Salad

Grated raw carrot. Slivers of dried mango. Golden raisins. Cashews. Dressing made with yogurt, a little cider vinegar, a little agave nectar and a dash of coriander.

Carrot Beet Salad

Grated raw carrot. Grated raw golden beets. Grated fresh ginger. Turmeric. Salt. Olive oil. Cider vinegar. Agave nectar. I was out of golden raisins or I might have thrown some in.

Red Beet Salad

Grated red beets (about 3 cups). Juice of one orange plus grated peel. A little bit of sesame oil. Olive oil. Sesame seeds. Dried cranberries would probably be good in this.

Turmeric and ginger may have anti-cancer properties, but turmeric is so darn yellow it's hard to use without wrecking the color of foods. The carrot/golden beet salad is already quite orange and yellow, so it's a good vehicle for a hefty dose of it.

ElaineM 05-27-2012 10:29 AM

Re: Salad Suggestions

Love the carrot beet salad !!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!

I will have to think about some of my salad creations and get back to you.

lshill929 05-29-2012 02:22 AM

Thanks for the recipes; I would love to taste Carrot Mango Salad.

TanyaRD 05-29-2012 08:33 AM

These sound great, Amy!! Thank for sharing. I can't wait to try them!

Mtngrl 06-03-2012 02:58 PM

Here's another one, for vegan "egg" salad:

Cook a medium-sized russet potato in the microwave (microwave 4 minutes, then wrap in foil).

Make "mayonnaise" by blending in a blender: 1/2 package of soft tofu, about 1/2 c. olive oil, 1/4 c. vinegar, 1 tsp. powdered mustard, 1/2 tsp. salt, dash cayenne, dash garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. lecithin until smooth. Taste it and fix the seasonings or add a little more oil if needed. This tastes pretty vile until you get the seasonings right, but it looks a lot like real mayonnaise and it has no cholesterol.

Mash up the potato with about a 1/2 c. of the dressing you just made, some more olive oil, and about a 1/2 tsp. of turmeric. Add minced onion, minced celery, minced pickle (or anything else you like in your egg salad), parsley, thyme, and salt. Mince up about 2/3 of a block of extra firm tofu to look like chopped cooked egg white and stir that in. Taste and correct seasonings, adding more mayo if you need.

KDR 06-08-2012 08:03 AM

Amy, these are great!
Here's one of our Egyptian favorites:

1 can Foul Mesdammes, undrained
1 T. tahini paste
1/4 c. olive oil
1 T. cumin
1 red, ripe tomato, wedged

Mix first three ingredients till bubbly. Mash beans if you don't care for whole beans.
Add tomato wedges, and sprinkle with cumin.

Serve on hot or grilled whole wheat pita.

Yummm!

sdstarfish 08-06-2012 01:05 PM

KDR, that sounds delicious! In fact, they all do.

Here are some more of my favorite salads:
Golden Beet Slaw
Passion Fruit Salad
Daikon & Orange Salad

Lisa

www.pinkkitchen.info

Mtngrl 08-09-2012 07:28 PM

The last time I made the carrot/beet salad I left out the turmeric. I put in some radish. I also used lemon juice and some grated lemon zest. It was refreshing and delicious.

Donna Sue in Texas 08-10-2012 04:42 AM

I just started the Tykerb yesterday but with the Xeloda. Stopped the Herceptin. How have you felt on the Tykerb? What have been your side effects?

NEDenise 08-13-2012 05:47 AM

Karen,
Foul Mesdammes? This sounds delicious...but I've never heard of those beans. Any idea where I might get them? Whole Foods? Trader Joe's?
My family LOVES anything with cumin in it! So this sounds like a winner...and...our tomatoes are just ripening now too. Yum!
Denise

sdstarfish 08-13-2012 06:39 AM

Hi, Denise:
In case Karen doesn't see your post - Foul Mesdammes are fava beans. You can find them in Middle Eastern markets, or regular supermarkets in certain areas.

Lisa
www.pinkkitchen.info

Mtngrl 08-13-2012 03:22 PM

The fava bean/"foul mesdammes" concoction looks delicious!

KDR 08-13-2012 06:34 PM

Hi, there...yes, foul are beans that are found in specialty stores or online. Best from Lebanon. The Progresso-type fava bean would not work. If you can get them, get them! Sorry I didn't make the "brand" more clear earlier on, thanks, Lisa.
Karen
Foul is the Arabic word for beans.