HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Preparing & Praying!! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57538)

SusanN 03-10-2013 10:59 AM

Preparing & Praying!!

Hello Everyone...I'm VERY new and have been reading your posts/comments, etc...
I've had quite a ride the last several months...from finding a lump on right breast, biopsy...DCIS to lumpectomy, no clear margins, another reexcison, same report, then a mastectomy...decided to go with reconstruction, then at followup, found out my incision was infected, that I needed to have it repaired with the expander removed immediately.
Same time, also had pathology report with my final diagnosis:
Stage 2a breas cancer , 1 of 5 lymph nodes positive, (removed), found a 2.7cm tumor in the upper outer quadrant, (removed)...
The tumor was NOT detected until I had my mastectomy.

Tomorrow, I am to have my port placed, Thurs, Mar 20, meet my Medical Oncologist for my treatment plan...the PRAYFULLY I will get started with my journey and get this going to have a TESTIMONY LORD WILLING!!

The unknown has been sooooo stressful...as I wait...I am told by my BS that my treatment will be TCH for 8 weeks, followed with Herceptin for a year. We will see if that is the same plan with my medical oncologist.

I am ER/PR negative...HER2+ (+++)

I get all my medical treatment through the VA, thus I am VERY blessed...however, there are pro's and cons.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR READING MY STORY!!

ANY FEEDBACK IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

lkc Gumby 03-10-2013 12:39 PM

Re: Preparing & Praying!!

Hi Dear. I am sorry to her that you are going through this. I think the first days and weeks are the hardest. Wrapping your head around. The diagnosis and all the uncertainties that goes along with this. I found once I had a good treatment plan in place and a great medical team, I felt a bit better. It's perfectly normal to be blindsided and have down feelings. It's all a process. I am also er/ pr negative and her2 strongly positive. I was literally hit over the head with my diagnosis almost 8 years ago. Thankfully Herceptin had just been made available ( for non met cases ). Despite poor prognosticators I am now well and living life large. You will too, time will pass, treatments will be memories, you will wake up without thinking of first of BC and you will get through it.
God Bless.
Linda

vballmom 03-10-2013 12:59 PM

What a ride, huh? My story is very similar to yours, minus the reconstruction. The biggest thing I've learned is that cancer doesn't play by any rules. We need to learn to take one step at a time, and make the best informed decision at the moment. We can't look back and think "I should have..." because it doesn't help anyone. Chemo isn't a walk in the park, but you already are learning how strong you can be when you have to be. I was terrified of the port procedure and it turned about to be no big deal. I was sore for a few days and kind of mad because I was already sick of being sore, but I am thankful for it more times than I can say.

Wishing you minimal side effects and here's a big hug!!!

tricia keegan 03-10-2013 02:49 PM

Hi Susan,

I dreaded having a port and didn't have one fitted until half way through my chemo and really wish I had had it sooner as it really became my best friend and saved me so much stress when my veins refused to work! I was just a little sore for about a week and then it settled down, you've been through a lot but each day is bringing you to the end of this so good luck and do keep us posted!

europa 03-10-2013 03:53 PM

I had my port in put in during the lumpectomy....and I will be damned if they take it out of me. i love my port. I hate needles and have to go through an entire ritual to get blood drawn through my arm. But with my port, I don't feel a thing. My oncologist wants me to get it removed because I now am done with treatment. But I am holding onto it until I am done with my trials. It just makes life SO much easier.

Adriana Mangus 03-10-2013 04:46 PM

Hi Susan,

Welcome to this fabulous site!

As you go through some of the stories posted by all of us, you will realize you are in the right place for information, support and the latest about breast cancer treatments.

Feel encouraged by some of us who have dealt with this disease for a long, long time.

Please do not hesitate to send us a line anytime, we are here for you.

The best of luck in your upcoming treatment(s), and keep up the faith. I will pray for you.

Love,

Adriana

Laurel 03-10-2013 05:42 PM

Welcome, Susan, you have just joined a wonderful group of people from the world over. Best darned online support group goin'! IMHO. Stick around learn and live along with us.

sassy 03-10-2013 07:50 PM

Welcome Susan! Come here often for support, understanding, knowledge, to vent or celebrate. You will always find someone to share your journey.n

SusanN 03-10-2013 09:08 PM

You ALL have been such a huge blessing of encouragement today!! ":)

I'm soooo humbled and grateful for such support!!

Here in Nebraska...we've once again had an unexpected snow fall...more than we thought...therefore, I will have to reschedule my port placement. Hopefully, I will still be able to meet my Medical Oncologist this Thursday...just so much going on...
This JUST might be a good thing waiting on the port as I haven't felt the best the last few days, and I KNOW I'll need all the energy I can get for my next turn!! ":)

Thank you so much, I know I have already found some AWESOME new friends!!

Jackie07 03-10-2013 11:56 PM

Hi Susan,

Hope you are staying warm at home.

My surgery/treatment almost six years ago (June 2007) was very similar to yours. The tumor was about 2.5 cm with 2 lymphnodes containing cancer cells. Because it was a recurrence and because cancer incidents of other family members, I had a genetic test done and later had a prophylactic hysterectomy/oophorectomy. It's the best decision I'd made as I've been feeling so much better (no longer having peeled skin on my lips - surgeon had told me the uterus already was showing hyperplasia...)

You've sure been through a lot in such a short time period. Herceptin + chemo (TC) has been proven to be effective in treating Her2+++ breast cancer. Be sure to read the Nutrition section (where exercise has been discussed as well) and get yourself strong for the upcoming treatment.

NEDenise 03-11-2013 05:06 AM

Susan,
Welcome! Sorry you had to find a BC support group...but I agree with my friends here...you have undoubtedly come to the right place. You will find unbridled love and support here. And, just as important (IMHO) you'll find great info about treatments, side effects...and stories of hope, life...and moving on!

Chemo is definitely do-able. Just keep reminding yourself to put one foot in front of the other...and keep plodding through. It will be over in no time...a memory...

And...like a lot of our 'HER2 sisters' it will be a distant memory before you realize it!

Good luck digging out of the snow...and with your new med onc!
Check in again soon!
Denise

frankp 03-11-2013 05:47 AM

Susan--as you prepare for chemo, ask your doctor about monitoring HER2 in your serum. you can learn more at www.oncogene.com. A new article is discussed in the March blog at www.hertestonline.com

BonnieR 03-11-2013 09:44 AM

Just to say welcome Susan. It's always easier to get through a challenge when you have friends who have already been there. That's us! When it gets closer to treatment day we can give you handy hints to make things as comfortable as possible. Keep the faith

caya 03-11-2013 09:51 AM

Hi Susan,

Sorry you had to join the club that no one wants to belong to - but it is a great support group, as you have noted.

FYI - I had a clean mammogram and ultrasound in July 2006, and then had a breast reduction in October 2006 - my plastic surgeon found (and removed) the tumour - that's how my BC merry-go-round began... As others have said, the shock of the diagnosis and the uncertainty at the beginning of it all does get better once you have your treatment plan in place.
My number one bit of advice is to take all the help you can - if your friends/neighbours want to drop off a casserole, do your grocery shopping, entertain your kids for a few hours - let 'em. This is no time to be a hero. You need to focus all your energy on your treatment and recovery.

all the best
caya

Kkmom 03-11-2013 03:20 PM

Europa - You are so funny about not giving your port up. When I got my port I was scared of the mere thought of it - but it has turned out to be great. I don't even notice it now.
I noticed you are in the vaccine program for HER2 at Walter Reed. How did you get into it? I am at the beginning of chemo and herceptin - but I am already thinking long term

jaykay 03-11-2013 05:45 PM

I'm with Europa - love my port, don't even know it's there

SusanN 03-11-2013 10:46 PM

Thanks so very much again for your wonderful encouragement!! Amazing women I'm meeting with stories to share!
I'm ready to get going...get healthy...get the port...FINALLY meet my Medical oncologist...
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention, during my mastectomy, while I was being intibated, a lesion was noticed on my vocal chord!! JUST what I DON'T need now...have a consult with ENT March 20th...TRUSTING GOD!!! GEEEZZZ...