HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   12 years, but who is counting? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66166)

karen z 05-21-2017 07:17 AM

12 years, but who is counting?

I just wanted to post (and hope this post will help some folks) that I have been NED for twelve years, as of May 10th, 2017.

I have gone from 53 to 65, just attended my beautiful and kind daughter's college graduation (older mom here), retired from being a university professor for decades (retirement effective Dec. 1, 2016) and hoping to close on my house in June (keep your fingers crossed) so that I can downsize and move into a beautiful apartment (with NO yard maintenance- I do have arthritis so yard work is tough but a patio garden would be great).

My daughter is taking a gap year or two (if a legal job requires it) and then applying to law school. She would like her dad and I to move closer to her when she gets a bit settled and renting will allow me to make further moves when the time is right.

Take care everyone. Karen Z

jaykay 05-21-2017 09:39 AM

Re: 12 years, but who is counting?

Congratulations, Karen and glad to hear from you!

tricia keegan 05-21-2017 10:47 AM

Karen that's wonderful, it's twelve years for me in July all going well. Many congrats and I hope all your plans turn out exactly as you want them to.:)

Pamelamary 05-22-2017 12:48 AM

Congratulations Karen - I don't think we ever stop counting.
Best wishes.... Pam

caya 05-22-2017 01:04 PM

Big congrats Karen!

all the best
caya

Donna H 05-22-2017 01:42 PM

Wow! 12 years is great to hear!!! Congrats.

karen z 05-22-2017 10:00 PM

Thanks for your kind words JayKay ! I appreciate them very much.

karen z 05-22-2017 10:03 PM

Hi Tricia and congratulations as well. I think if I can get through the due diligence process on the potential sale (OMG), retirement will be great. Best to you !

karen z 05-22-2017 10:04 PM

Pam
You are right. I have my annual mammogram on Wednesday and I have been thinking about it a lot. It is always "there" but, perhaps, smaller and further back (but, there).

karen z 05-22-2017 10:08 PM

Many thanks Caya !!! Very kind of you.

karen z 05-22-2017 10:09 PM

Thanks Donna. I hope it is good to hear. We have so many folks on here that have been NED a long, long time (more than me). Keep moving forward.

lkc Gumby 05-23-2017 05:25 AM

Congratulations Karen. So very happy for you.

Melissa 05-23-2017 07:57 PM

Karen,

I am so happy for you and for your daughter. It's wonderful that you and your husband get to be closer to her.
Enjoy those retirement years!

jra40 05-24-2017 10:10 AM

I'm counting and 12 years is fantastic!! I'm 5 years behind you and feeling like my cancer battle is just a memory now. Hope you continue counting the years, we have reason to celebrate!

Whonoze 07-06-2017 07:07 AM

Fantastic! Congrats!

janieR 07-06-2017 11:42 AM

Karen, so pleased for you.

Janie

StephN 07-06-2017 10:33 PM

Good news, and we never do stop counting!
I have been somewhat "otherwise occupied" myself so missed your post. Very glad to hear that things have moved along basically well for you and Bella. I can recall when you were taking her to interview colleges!

Be in touch off the board. Think of you from time to time, hoping things are on the good path for you.

Nurse4u2day 07-11-2017 02:14 PM

Love to hear this news. It always gives hope to others just starting out and even for those of us that are years out

sassy 10-14-2017 07:20 PM

Karen, I've been AWOL for a while but some head to have you join the 12 year club. Glad things are going well fir you. Congrats on the retirement and the graduation.

karen z 10-21-2017 05:06 AM

I have been off the board for awhile but many thanks to those who have written in response to my last post- I appreciate it (hi Steph and Sassy- pls send along your emails-mine is still the same). I went a bit crazy with purging work files after retirement and accidentally deleted two computer storage "cabinets" with family/friends emails. Steph, I remember all of those college visits very well too. Oh boy, what a time. I can not believe that Bella has graduated, that I actually retired, sold my house, found a beautiful temporary apartment, relocated 20 miles further outside of ATL and (although taking everything day by day) am doing well. I just started an art class and hoping to take more if I survive this one (I started off as an art major, lacked self-confidence, and immediately switched majors back in the day when I felt "I can not do this" and be good. Although discovery psychology was a huge blessing and I had a great career in psych., I have always wondered if I could do "this" and (from time to time) have taken classes in photography and pottery. I am now down to the kind of basic drawing class, which "did me in" and made me feel I could never handle art, but so glad I am trying it again. Anyway, guys, write me when you have a chance and catch me up on your lives. K