HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Going back on Abraxane (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63438)

Mtngrl 07-07-2015 06:24 AM

Going back on Abraxane

I just had another one of my "mixed" scans. We were hoping that increasing my Xeloda dose would do the trick, but it didn't. My scan showed less glucose uptake in my lower lungs, but the size didn't change, and I've got more uptake in other places, including a couple of newly active lymph nodes.

Monday I will go back on Abraxane every three weeks, staying on Herceptin and Perjeta. The hope is that the chemo will knock back the cancer, after which H&P can keep it at bay.

I won't have to have steroids, which greatly contributed to my discomfort the last time around. But Abraxane causes hair loss, and I'm kind of bummed about that. Fortunately, I still have all my scarves, caps, hats, and wigs from before.

I'm going to be proactive about boosting my immune system and heading off neuropathy, by getting lots of protein, taking L-Glutamine, and doing more walking and biking. I just ordered a juicer, too. I am not one who thinks juice is a panacea, but I figure it can't hurt to get more vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, enzymes, etc. Plus it'll give me something to mix my protein powder into.

Last time around I was told I needed to get "more protein," which I found frustratingly vague. How do you know how much I get now? How much is "more"? Eventually I figured out the number is 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, about double the usual amount. For me that's about 115 grams per day. To put that in perspective, an egg has 9 grams of protein.

It's been almost 5 years since I've had "heavy" chemo. I'm grateful for the break. Does anyone have additional hints for me?

ariana 07-07-2015 07:11 AM

Re: Going back on Abraxane

MNTGRL, In my prayers that all works out.

Mary

Becky 07-07-2015 10:21 AM

I can help with the protein requirements. 3oz of canned tuna has 25g, 4oz of chicken breast has 36g, 1/2 cup walnuts has 9g, and a cup of oatmeal has 6g. Avocado - one cup is 9g and a cup of chickpeas is 12g. I cant remember if you are vegetarian but having chicken really can get you there as 4 oz is only the size of a deck of cards. Putting on salad with chickpeas and sunflower seeds could get you at least halfway there for lunch alone. Let me know if you are vegetarian though and I will research more for you. A cup of oatmeal has 6g and if you make it with milk it adds another 4g for half a cup of fat free. You can get 19 with that kind of breakfast and a banana has some. 5oz of greek yogurt has 11g. You have to be pretty diligent but if you do eat chicken and fish, you could do it.

I think about you often and will help you anyway I can so this treatment kicks cancer-butt.

thinkpositive 07-07-2015 02:37 PM

Amy,

I'm sorry to hear that your scan results were "mixed". Lets hope that Abraxane does the trick for you and has your next scan showing everything looking better. I'm sure it must be tough mentally to face going back on chemo. However, as you pointed out, at least you were able to have a 5 year break from "heavy" chemo.

I've never taken Abraxane so I cant offer any specific tips for you. However, as far as being proactive in keeping your immune system strong I'd like to pass on a few suggestions that I read about in Andrew Weil, M.D.'s book: 8 Weeks to Optimal Health - A proven program for taking full advantage of your body's natural healing power.

1)garlic -eat more fresh garlic in your food. Garlic boosts activity of the immune system, stimulating natural-killer cells which are our main defense against cancer.

2) astragalus - this herb enhances immune function by increasing activity of several kinds of white blood cells and boosting production of antibodies and interferon, the body's own antiviral agent.

3)maitake - these mushrooms have significant anticancer, antiviral, and immune-enhancing properties.

4)reishi - these mushrooms improve immune function and inhibits the growth of some malignant tumors. Additionally, it shows significant anti-inflammatory effects, reduces allergic responsiveness, and protects the liver.

Amy, I keep you in my prayers every day. I'm inspired by your attitude and the guidance that you provide to all of us on this site.

Take Care,
Brenda

Mtngrl 07-07-2015 03:30 PM

Thanks everyone!

Becky, those are helpful numbers to memorize. I do occasionally eat meat and I often eat eggs and dairy. I make my own Greek yogurt.

Whole grains, beans, and leafy green vegetables actually have a respectable amount of protein in them. And I like smoothies made with yogurt and protein powder.

Brenda, I appreciate you too! I have Dr. Weil's "Antioxidant Food Pyramid" on my fridge. I don't always have all the veggies and fruits that I should, and I don't walk every day (though I do walk most days). I'll work on those habits.

Onward!

Amy

Nurse4u2day 07-07-2015 03:42 PM

I really hope this next round of chemo knocks the cancer on its ass!!! Sorry you are having to deal with this. Sometimes it seems like a never ending story.Who knows maybe this round will send you to NED. I truly pray that it does. I don't post as much on here these days but think of you ladies often. You ladies really have seen me through some scary times with your remarkable journeys and great wealth of information. I have had a recent scare and I just think back to this group and it calms me. Thank you and always praying for us all.
Tamara

caya 07-07-2015 06:31 PM

Good luck Amy - I have a juicer and I love it. One tip - if you are juicing leafy greens, roll up larger leaves like kale and swiss chard around smaller ones like spinach and then put in the juicer. Also depending on what juicer you have, you can put the juiced greens/berries etc. through it 2 or three times. You will be amazed at how much more juice you get. I put fresh ginger in it too. I also put a few drops of pure vanilla extract or unsweetened cocoa and some stevia in too, if I'm not using fruit in that particular juice.

all the best
caya

Pamelamary 07-08-2015 12:29 AM

Good luck with the Abraxane, Amy!
Best wishes..... Pam

michka 07-08-2015 02:26 AM

Amy, I am so sorry you have to go back to harder chemo. I understand so well what you mean about your hair. For many oncs it is not important but we know here what it means. Hang on to the idea that it will only last a few months and that Abraxane already worked for you. It is going to work again. Hugs.

Lien 07-08-2015 08:08 AM

Sorry about the tougher chemo. Of course you hate to lose your hair! I never had chemo, but I have a chronic gut infection that makes me look very pale. People kept commenting on that, and it made me feel worse than I needed to. Found a solution: fake tan. Now people tell me I no longer look sick... So I may feel like crap, at least I don't have to hear about it all the time. So I hope you have stunning hats, caps, wigs, shawls, etc. which will make you look so awesome that nobody notices your lack of hair... (by the way, they don't notice the fake tan stains on the inside of my hands either)

May the chemo kick those pesky cancer cells to where they belong (I'm trying to keep my language respectable here)

Love

Jacqueline

Carol Ann 07-08-2015 08:32 AM

I am so sorry, Amy, that you have to go back on Abraxane. This sucks. I am sorry about your hair, too. Another not so nice word I'd like to use here about all of this!

Here's hoping this will get you back to NED!

Carol Ann

BonnieR 07-08-2015 11:10 AM

Just coming by to offer love and support. Keep the faith!

Laurel 07-09-2015 04:37 PM

I am sad that you must go back on the Abraxane, but may it be a med that hits those new nodes and uptake areas a powerful punch!

Mtngrl 07-10-2015 08:26 AM

Thanks, everybody!

I love you all.

Pat94 07-10-2015 01:57 PM

I just wanted to take a minute to tell you how much I have appreciated your support, encouragement, and shared knowledge as I have journeyed down the road of HER2. Thank you for always reaching out to those of us who started down the path after you.

thinkpositive 07-10-2015 03:12 PM

Pat94,

I couldn't agree with you more regarding Amy. So many reasons why we all love her.

Take care,
Brenda

linzer 07-10-2015 04:42 PM

Amy, you're in my thoughts. Sorry to hear about the Abraxane, but hoping it does exactly what it's supposed to. You have received great suggestions regarding the protein and juicing. I will keep you in my thoughts... keep us updated!

Linda

Dakini52 07-12-2015 07:22 PM

Amy, thinking about you and hoping that your treatment tomorrow goes smoothly and is successful.

Mtngrl 07-14-2015 07:51 AM

Well, that wasn't too bad.

The three-week dose of Abraxane took only 30 minutes to infuse, so my time in the chair was not a whole lot longer than usual.

I slept a lot last night. I feel a little woozy today, plus I have diarrhea, but other than that everything's OK. I have literally years of experience managing diarrhea, so I don't expect it to get out of hand.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who's offered me support, encouragement, information, and friendship. You make it so much better than it would be without you.

Love,
Amy

Carol Ann 07-14-2015 10:00 AM

Hi Amy!

I am so glad and relieved to hear it hasn't been too bad so far. Here's to that every day, and that it blasts you back to stable/NED!

YOU make my day better every day too, my friend!

Carol Ann