HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Stroke after tamoxifen (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66999)

europa 04-06-2018 04:46 AM

Stroke after tamoxifen

Hi everyone.
My saga continues. In 2015 after 4 years NED, I developed a blood clot in my leg as a side effect from tamoxifen. I got off tamoxifen and have been fine since. But Monday I was rushed to the ER. It was discovered I suffered a tiny stroke caused by a 2mm infarction. I was told that having had cancer puts me at a higher risk of hypocuagulation and therefore a stroke. Has anyone heard this? I’m ok. Just really scared because I’m only 43 and wasn’t expecting to be a risk for something as scary as a stroke.

Donna H 04-06-2018 08:21 AM

Re: Stroke after tamoxifen

WOW! I have not been told that cancer could lead to a higher risk of stroke. That is scary. I am glad you are doing ok after it. Hopefully someone else on the board will have insight into this.

Lucy 04-06-2018 08:58 AM

Sadly this doesn't surprise me. Last year I was under a lot of stress and started having chest pains. I had mentioned it when I went to my oncologist's office and they're ordered an echocardiogram because they said that chemo can cause heart problems years after you're done with treatment. Something I wasn't told before treatment. I doubt it would've factored into my decision to have treatment if I had known but it would've been nice beforehand.

Glad you're okay. We just have to be vigilant in knowing our bodies and trying to jump out ahead of things.

Cathya 04-06-2018 12:32 PM

europa;

I had a lacuna stroke at some point during my treatments for bc. It was picked up later during an mri looking for brain mets. I was put on aspirin and following a TIA while walking through IKEA of all places, my drivers license was pulled for 6 months, tests were done and I was put on aggrenox, sandoz candesartan and ratio-atorvastatin (all of which have more common names I'm sure but one's a blood thinner, ones for the heart and ones a statin I believe). I was retested and got my drivers license back. All this was about 10 years ago and I have had no problems since. However, I also had radiation for a left side tumour and so that combined with the chemo's (Doxorubicin aka the red devil), herceptin and arimidex, it's not hard to figure that we could have longer lasting heart/stroke issues in my mind.

Having said all of this, I have had no issues with my heart or stroke since that time.

God bless,

Cathy

jra40 04-09-2018 10:20 AM

Oh wow, this is very scary! So sorry Europa but thank you for posting your experience. I have noticed I have an irregular heart beat lately and it's been getting progressively worse. I will talk with my oncologist in May to see if I can get it checked.

Always something with this damn cancer journey!

Jessica

Becky 04-09-2018 03:12 PM

My sister had to stop tamoxifen due to a blood clot in her calf. I got the oophorectomy because I felt I was going blind while on tamoxifen. I was premenopausal so I had to get an oophorectomy to go on Armidex which agreed with me fine.

Nothing's ever easy.

Juls 04-09-2018 04:49 PM

Hi Everyone,

Oh! - didn't know about stroke risk, but did know about blood clot risk with Tamoxifen.

I was given Tamoxifen 5 years ago without any discussion. I checked side effects & noticed blood clot risk so called my nurse to say I had family history of blood clots & I wasn't keen on taking it. Can't say they were very pleased with me questioning it. Eventually Doctor agreed to give me Femara instead.

Jessica-
I'm now on Kadcyla - it reduces potassium & magnesium in body & this can cause palpitations/irregular heartbeats. I'm sure AI's can do this as well? As you say always something!

Juls

jaykay 04-11-2018 12:39 PM

Oh jeez, Europa! I'm glad you're okay now but it must have been frightening for you

tricia keegan 04-11-2018 01:28 PM

Europa sorry to hear of your issue's which must have been scary. I remember being warned before chemo that it could lead to heart problems in years to come but didn't think I was at a higher risk of stroke.