HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Recurrence in Neck Lymph Nodes? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66767)

WolverineFan 01-10-2018 07:37 PM

Recurrence in Neck Lymph Nodes?

Hi Everyone,

I am nearly nine years out from being diagnosed, and I was early stage (stage 1 invasive, and DCIS). I feel great and have for a long time, but about a month ago I felt a lump on a lymph node in my neck. After researching, if bc does recurr in the lymph nodes, it is most often above the clavical, whereas mine is on the left side of my neck. Two weeks after I found the lump, I had a regular check up with my onc, and she didn't think it was anything to worry about, but asked that I keep her posted if it hadn't gone away in another 2 weeks. It didn't, so she scheduled an ultrasound for me, which I had the other day. It turns out that I have three enlarged lymph nodes, the one that I can feel, and two others on the right side. I am now scheduled for a biopsy on Tuesday, the 16th. I've not been sick with a sore throat or anything like that. I am nervous, but from everything I've read, it is unlikely that breast cancer will recur in the neck lymph nodes. Additionally, it is hard for me to believe that given my bc was caught very early, I had a mastectomy, chemo, Herceptin, a full hysterectomy and was on Femara for nearly 7 years that I could actually have a recurrence, but you all know how it is once you've been diagnosed with cancer. So, my question is there anyone on here that had a recurrence in the lymph nodes in the neck? How far out were you and was it actually a recurrence or a new bc?

Thank you so much for your input!

StephN 01-11-2018 12:02 AM

Re: Recurrence in Neck Lymph Nodes?

Hello,
Sorry for your plight. Remember that cancer is sneaky and can lie still for many years. Yes, we have had members here over the years have their cancer come back in nodes in the neck area, so not unheard of. Even a couple that were stage 0 or DCIS to begin with. Head and neck cancers are also something to be aware of, so very good that the diagnostics are moving ahead.

Good news is there are more treatment options available now that can be very effective.

Not how you want to to begin the new year, but early January is when my stage IV condition came to light - back in 2002! So, I have been over a few road bumps but am here to cheer you on.

WolverineFan 01-11-2018 05:41 AM

Wow! You are an inspiration for sure! Thank you so very much for responding. I keep thinking that if it is a recurrence, hopefully, I could fight it long enough for a cure to be found. 16 years at stage IV is amazing! I hate that you are at stage IV, but you give me hope, that if it is cancer, hopefully, it can be managed long enough until there is a cure. Thank you so much for responding, and please know what an inspiration you are!

Carol Ann 01-11-2018 06:42 AM

I am so sorry ... praying that it is not a recurrence.

Carol Ann

ariana 01-11-2018 07:34 AM

YES me ---About 8 month after everything was done, reg. check ups, I found
several tiny lumps that only I could feel. Doc. had problems with feeling it.

Ordered CT and found 6 tiny tiny dots on lung. Herceptin and perjetta cleared it up,
but would forever be on treatments. AFTER Yr and 1/2 it quit working and lumps came
back and had to go on Kadcyla which is still working. Almost 2 yrs on it. Hope this helps.

MaineRottweilers 01-11-2018 04:32 PM

Sorry you have to even think about this. Waiting for results and stewing over the possibilities and what if is sooooo stressful. Offering you prayers and positive energy is all I can do, they are yours for the taking.

WolverineFan 01-11-2018 07:07 PM

Thank you for the support everyone! This is why I love this board. So greatly appreciate the prayers!

Mary Jo 01-15-2018 06:07 PM

Hi Hayley,

I am a senior member here. I don’t check in here very often anymore but sometimes the group comes to mind and I like to come back to check on others. I read about what you are going through above and I just wanted to say that I will pray that Jan. 16th biopsy will come back benign. I am a 12.5 year survivor who was diagnosed when I was 45. I was diagnosed a stage 2B with 1 lymph node positive. Praying for you.

WolverineFan 01-15-2018 06:41 PM

Hi Mary Jo,

Thank you so much for the prayers! I am feeling better about everything, but I so greatly appreciate the prayers. I will keep you posted on what we find out.

On a different note, I noticed you are from Sheboygan, WI. I grew up 50 miles south of Cheboygan, MI on the Lake Huron coast. Love, love, love that part of the country!

Thank you again, and I will post my results as soon as I know!

Hayley

Mary Jo 01-15-2018 06:48 PM

Wow, that’s cool. I just found out a few years ago that there was a Cheboygan in MI. We just got about 9 inches of snow today. The fluffy/pretty kind. I just said a prayer for you Hayley that all goes well tomorrow. Love and hugs.

WolverineFan 01-15-2018 07:13 PM

Thank you for the prayers!!!! Can never have enough of those!

I miss the white, fluffy snow and all the outdoor fun in it. My kids love ice skating, snowmobiling, sledding, ice fishing, etc, when we go there to visit my family. As you know, summers are amazing up north!! Our favorite place to go in the summer!

Emy 01-21-2018 08:21 PM

Feb 2017 pet scan had 1 positive lymph node..had repeat scan sept 2017..same size more active..had biopsy..turned out to be breast cancer...i have been ned 3.5 years...on herceptin and perheta...dr said to just watch..if increase in size or activity then will either add taxol or consider radiation...next pet scan on feb12

WolverineFan 01-26-2018 01:20 PM

**UPDATE** I truly appreciate all the support on this site. The surgeon did bilateral biopsies. Ironically, the left side, where I felt the lump, came back as a reactive lymph node, however on the right side, where I didn't know of anything, it came back with atypical cells. The surgeon said that the pathologist was concerned with either lymphoma or luekemia, which rarely can occur as a secondary cancer after breast cancer. I couldn't believe it. This morning, the surgeon removed the lymph node that was biopsied on the right side as well as a neighboring salivary gland. The surgeon told my husband that he didn't see anything concerning, so we are cautiously optimistic. We should have the results back by Tuesday at the latest. I will post an update once we know for sure, but wanted to thank everyone again for being so supportive!

Hayley

Emy 01-26-2018 03:26 PM

Please let me know where you had surgery..the surgeon told me surgery was not an option..only radiation and chemo..

Laurel 01-26-2018 04:31 PM

Hayley,

I am sorry you have to deal with the stress of waiting, but so glad you have good reason to be optimistic! Hang in there. warrior lady! Prayers for a big batch of NOTHING on Tuesday!!!!

jra40 01-29-2018 08:10 AM

Prayers to you for good news tomorrow! Keep us posted

caya 01-29-2018 12:37 PM

Good luck Hayley! Hoping for a big fat NOTHING!!

all the best
caya