HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Profiles In Courage (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   I Miss mY Eyelashes (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52934)

Lorraine 01-21-2012 06:38 PM

I Miss mY Eyelashes

I miss my eyelashes the most

The way they held my tears
let them fall, intermittently,
on the same path of pain. They followed one another til I wiped them away.
Without eyelashes it's just over active tear glands......there's no timing, no meaning and no reason, just tears smeared.
My eyelashes could tell me when there was a symphony on the way....I would know when they would begin......and end.
I felt I'd had a good cry.
I want to get through this.......
Where are my conductors?
I miss my eyelashes the most
Release the tears with the feeling of having had a good cry.....

By Lorraine M. Newton

Becky 01-21-2012 07:59 PM

Re: I Miss mY Eyelashes

Very nice poem indeed and I agree - I missed my eyelashes (and brows) the most

NanaJoni 01-21-2012 08:45 PM

My eyelashes fell out three times after I stopped chemo and went on Herceptin only every three weeks. When I stopped Herceptin, it never has happened since. Another one of those "not" side effects. But well worth it.

Jackie07 01-22-2012 05:29 AM

Excellent poem!

But don't worry - they will grow back.

I'd had chemo both in 2003 and 2007. I still have mY Hair and Eyelashes... :)

candlegranny 01-22-2012 11:03 AM

i missed my eyeleashes the most too. not only are they blond and i always wore black mascara, i hated the tears all the time. it was like seeing hte world thru tears all the time. so glad my "new eyelashes" took over and now the teary eyes are over!

Laurel 01-22-2012 05:42 PM

Lorraine,

Loved the poem and so true! I think I missed my eyebrows even more than the lashes. I remember looking into the mirror one morning, hairless, expressionless without my brows to frame my face. I recall saying out loud, "Man, I look like a St. Jude's kid." It was the moment I realized I was sick....really sick. I had cancer. Shit.

Lorraine 01-22-2012 05:50 PM

Thanks to all of you. It is a great comfort to share, knowing there are those whom understand.
Yes, the runny nose had me regress to my childhood of wiping my nose on my sleeve! Lovely.
Firework,
Lorraine

JillaryJill 01-22-2012 06:18 PM

Hi Lorraine,

I missed my eyelashes the most also!

My eyelashes only fell out in my right eye, the left ones thinned. Talk about looking goofy! I had little fallen eyelashes on my cheeks quite often. I used Latisse to hurry along the process, and I wore big hoop earrings to make myself feel better.

My license renewal came up because we moved and I had to have a new photo taken, I had my wig on, no right eyelashes and you can see my neck was burned from radiation since the picture was taken at the end of my radiation. So I probably have the worst license picture on the planet....got to just laugh!!!

Jill

rhondalea 01-27-2012 04:54 AM

I lost all my eyelashes, and I hated every minute of it. Around the time they started growing back in (badly), I received one of those annoying advertising emails from Real Age. This time, though, I gave in to temptation and followed the link to the DermStore. I bought the advertised product--SmartLash--because it was the only time I've ever seen it on sale for a reasonable price. It's usually $100/tube, and I got mine for $29.95. There was also an option to sign up for 30 or 60 day automatic deliveries at the same price. To sweeten the deal, they sent me a free bronzer (that I didn't need) and a one-year subscription to Shape magazine (that I also have no use for).

Really, I'm not sure what's up with all that--if they'd just offer the product at a reasonable price to everyone all the time, they'd have plenty of sales (based on the reviews, it does work for most people, and unlike Latisse, it won't make your blue eyes brown).

With all that said, a couple of days ago, another one of those emails arrived in my box. I can find nothing in it to prohibit my sharing the link, so if anyone here ever wanted to try SmartLash, here's your chance.

BUY NOW >>

Well, that's embarrassing. I have no idea why it pastes that way (I've never seen a copied link do that), but if you hover on it, you can see the unobfuscated link. It will send you straight to the DermStore through Real Age. Maybe they get a commission.

This one time I have to say "thank you, Dr. Oz, for spamming me," because my eyelashes are growing in thicker than they've been since I was in my teens.