HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   14 Year Survivor (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053)

ElaineM 01-13-2013 03:29 PM

14 Year Survivor

I was diagnosed in January, 1999, so that makes me a 14 year survivor. I am happy to be living long enough for age related health problems. I had quite a few of those last year. I am still recovering from some of them.
I still see most of the medical professionals I have seen for many years, including oncologists.
My plan is to keep going and live to at least 90 years old or beyond !! I will do everything I can to accomplish that goal. If one thing doesn't work for a health problem I will find something else that will work for whatever health problem I have or another doctor who is willing to help me with that problem. That is what I have done for the last 14 years. That is just the way I do things.
One of my doctors said he will be retired by the time I am 90. No problem. I will find another doctor to help me. His latest worry is that I will live longer than he will since two of my doctors passed away since my diagnosis.
I told him he is younger than I am so he shouldn't worry about that and I wish him a long life !!!!!!!
I am blessed to be alive. Life on earth is a tremendous learning experience. I want more of it !!!!!!!! I want to be around to see all the things that are coming in the future. I will hang in there, I will keep finding solutions to my health problems and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

valleygirl 01-13-2013 04:05 PM

Re: 14 Year Survivor

Such great news!!! I hope to be lurking on the board when you come post on your 90th birthday telling us you out lived another doctor.
Keep us posted it gives us all hope!!!
Denise

Jackie07 01-13-2013 04:23 PM

Congratulations! Elaine. Be sure to let us know when you are turning 90! :)

Mary Jo 01-13-2013 04:49 PM

Great post, Elaine. Thanks for sharing your great news and wonderful attitude.

Mary Jo

Becky 01-13-2013 05:28 PM

Congratulations. This is a huge deal. Enjoy the day.

kvogler 01-13-2013 05:53 PM

Thanks for posting this for those of us in the middle of treatment and freaking out about every little thing. You inspire me.

Sandra in GA 01-13-2013 08:00 PM

Elaine,
You are terrific!! With your determination, youjust might live to be 100!!!
Sandra :)

Joan M 01-13-2013 08:24 PM

Elaine,

Congratulations! You have been very supportive of me and others over the years. You inspire me to look forward to a long life. Something I often forget about. Thanks for the reminder!

Joan

caya 01-13-2013 09:53 PM

Big congrats to you Elaine!! You are well on your way to 90+++!!

all the best
caya

Pray 01-13-2013 10:55 PM

Awesome Elaine! Thank you so much for your post! Every time some one reaches a mile stone it gives me such a rush of Hope. How absolutely wonderful for you!

Mandamoo 01-13-2013 11:42 PM

Woohoo! Congratulations!

IrvineFriend 01-14-2013 10:13 AM

Happy Anniversary! I love your post, it gives me hope.

KsGal 01-14-2013 11:15 AM

Congratulations. :) Prayers for many, many more healthy years.

chrisy 01-14-2013 11:30 AM

Big deal, indeed. May your doctors all live to ripe old ages...and STILL be outlived by you!

ElaineM 01-14-2013 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone. I hope my post inspires everyone to keep going, don't accept defeat and find solutions when the going gets a little rough.
I have had my share of ups and downs, but I am determined to keep going.
I told my physical therapist today that she needs to teach me some additional exercises so I can regain the full strength in my legs. I will find another therapist if she doesn't. I have done the same with doctors. Sometimes it is just time to move on and find success somewhere else or with another medical professional who might know something the medical professional I was working with didn't know enough or was not willing to provide the help I needed.

tricia keegan 01-14-2013 07:11 PM

Elaine, all I can say is wow!!!! huge congrats!!!

CoolBreeze 01-14-2013 07:25 PM

You are an inspiration Elaine. I now know this won't be me but I do think hearing your story will help a lot of people. Congratulations. I not only wish you to make it to 90, I hope you make it to 100. Full of health and vibrancy, and being the one who beats the odds.

suzan w 01-15-2013 09:51 AM

That is wonderful! Inspiring! Hopeful!!! Just what I needed to hear today!!!

Kkmom 01-21-2013 03:48 PM

I was just diagnosed with cancer - December 2012 - I just found this thread by chance. I have had a lumpectomy and just got the details for my treatment on Thursday (Jan 17th). Needless to say, I felt like I was thrown off of a horse and I can't get back on it quiet yet. This entire weekend, I have been going all over the Internet trying to find info on who are the survivors of Her2 Neu. I knew they had to be out here and I do believe I found my answer.
Right now, I am so scared. Typically, I am as tough as nails, but cancer has brought me to my knees. After reading the hallalujehs on this thread - I believe I can look ahead.
Please keep on posting all of your milestones - for us out here at beginning of this new part of our life - you are leading us.
From the bottom of my heart - thank you for your post.

Bunty 01-21-2013 06:03 PM

Kkmom, you have indeed found us, and it's a wonderful place full of inspiration and information. (Sorry you have found us by the way, but you will see there is hope). Being diagnosed now with Her-2+ BC is much better than being diagnosed back when Elaine was diagnosed (and myself). There are a lot of treatments for us now, and more on the way.

It is very scary getting the diagnosis, but it will get easier as time goes on. I always find that when treatment starts there is a sense of relief that you are eradicating any nasties.

Best wishes
Marie