HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   12 years, but who is counting? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66166)

Laurel 10-21-2017 01:43 PM

Re: 12 years, but who is counting?

Karen,

It is very brave of you to tackle that old "Everest" from your past! I am betting you will surprise yourself and enjoy the challenge. It is nice to hear you are well and settling into retirement life. Those second chapters in our lives can be wonderful! Good luck with the class!

Laurel

karen z 10-21-2017 03:52 PM

Thanks for your kind words Laurel. I decided that if I was going to start doing art again that I DID need to go back to Everest !

Class number 2 is coming up this week and I look forward to it, although I will say that some of the clss assignments in the first class (well, one in particular) was very challenging for me.

But, I am going to give this a try and do the best I can. Thanks for checking in and take good care ~~~ Best, Karen

suzan w 10-31-2017 08:01 PM

12 years!!! Yay for you!!! 12 years this year for me too. A nice even dozen!!!

karen z 11-01-2017 06:14 AM

Hi Susan,
Many congratulations. Twelve IS a very nice number and praying for more good numbers.
Take good care.

CutiePie 01-30-2018 09:40 AM

Congratulations, we never stop counting! I'm 13 years out, fear (anxiety) never really leaves but we need to focus on today & tomorrow.

karen z 01-30-2018 09:58 AM

Hi CutiePie,
You are so right. I am still plagued (even though it is not something I think about daily, it is triggered often) by fear and anxiety. Thanks for the reminder to focus on today and tomorrow. I forget that too often. k

StephN 02-01-2018 07:55 PM

Hi Karen,

We are still kicking after all these years. I have not taken up art classes, but wonder how you are doing putting your creative juices to work?

Staying in the "here and now" is not always so easy when we have to also plan for "tomorrow"! Take good care, as there are some very nasty bugs going around.

karen z 02-01-2018 08:25 PM

Hi Steph,
I have now taken three classes and really loved two (good teachers are helpful). I will keep taking art classes and have decided to initially take shorter classes to see if I enjoy the type of art as well as the teacher and then move into longer classes over several weeks. I really want to try and explore many different topics. I am lucky that we have a center with incredible classes that is not too far away from me.

At the moment I am also trying to learn Italian as my older brother recently bought a second home in the town my maternal grandparents were born. My brother and his wife are going on a work/hang out with our relatives trip in April (for three weeks!) and made me an offer I could not refuse (they are treating me to all). So we will go to Milan to look for furniture, fixtures, doors, etc. and to Cassamassima for two weeks (my brother can talk to a construction crew as a few things will be changed and I can get to meet my relatives and explore the town where my grandparents on my mom's side grew up). I am not mentioning this my brother or his wife, but I bought a three month subscription to Rossetta Stone and am trying to spend at least one hour a day (I might have to increase that!) so I can at least talk a little. My maternal grandmother never learned to speak English and I understood her perfectly as a child. So, we shall see!! So good to hear from you. Take care. K

StephN 02-07-2018 02:48 PM

Wonderful, life-after-breast-cancer projects! You are making great use of your time. I bet your Italian will come out of the back reaches of your memory since you are working on it. A good phrase-book may help while you are there.

Going back to your European roots will be exciting!

karen z 02-07-2018 04:36 PM

Hey Steph,

Jumping into retirement after teaching/doing research at a university for decades was not the easiest, even though I felt it was time. It has now been a little over a year and I am learning to (try and) relax and find out who I am without a job and what I love besides psychology. Art is high on my list. And am having so much fun learning (re-learning) Italian. I can definitely see some "savings" from all my many Italian conversations with my grandma (but, of course, I was not required to write in Italian back then and I am not finding it easy). Steph, I am SO HAPPY that I will be spending two weeks in the town my maternal grandparents were born. I CAN NOT WAIT to meet my relatives (who have my mom's and grandpa Luigi's last name). This is an incredible opportunity my brother and sister-in-law have given me and I am so so appreciative. It sounds like you are doing great and I am happy and grateful about that. Your "signature" remains amazing. I miss our rookie days in San Antonio and I miss Joe and Christine !!!!!!
Love,
Karen

BonnieR 03-30-2018 10:20 PM

I have also been AWOL for awhile. But felt compelled to check in to this place that helped save my life 11 years ago
I especially related to what Karen Z posted. Finding the courage to attempt a new, scary challenge. I also worked in psych but always wanted to explore art. In my case, it was newfound sobriety that gave me permission to try something new and be bad at it! Now I’m quite good at it!
Keep the faith

Carol Ann 03-31-2018 03:33 PM

Hi Bonnie! So glad to see you here! Glad you are doing well. :)

Carol Ann