HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Herceptin and chills/joint pain? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53179)

gqmom 02-11-2012 04:01 PM

Herceptin and chills/joint pain?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced chills (no fever) and/or joint pain while on Herceptin only? I'm taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen two to three times a day and the joint pain improves but doesn't go away completely. Also very stiff.... I'm not trying to complain because it's a small price to pay if it saves my life!

dx at 33.....stage 2A (T1aN1miM0) ER-/PR- Her2+ A/C then Taxol with Herceptin...now on Herceptin only once every 3 weeks

CoolBreeze 02-11-2012 04:14 PM

Re: Herceptin and chills/joint pain?

I have severe joint pain but it isn't because of herceptin. My doctor thinks it's lack of estrogen - chemo killed my ovaries. The only SE I have from herceptin is a runny nose!

Gerri 02-11-2012 09:54 PM

I had constant chills with Herceptin. It felt like I was freezing cold from the inside and nothing I did helped warm me. Also had joint pain and stiffness but I'm not sure if it was from the Herceptin, Tamoxifen, or lasting effects of chemo. My nose was constantly dripping so I never went anywhere without tissue.

Lettik 02-18-2012 05:08 AM

gqmom
When I first started Herceptin, I was told about the fever, chills and possile bone pain. Luckily I didn't experience any of those. But..... and I don't mean this lightly, I have had what is called "loading doses" 2, in the past 6 months. Both times, the most recent as of last week, I had terrible chills, then a fever of 100.5 and I could not get warm. I do believe the joint/bone pain was the worst I have ever experienced. The only consulation is that is only lasted 24-48 hours. Hang in there!!

Lauriesh 02-18-2012 08:23 PM

I had severe joint pain, and realized it is from the Herceptin. I went off of it in Oct, to do a trial and within a month all of my joint pain was gone.

I just had my first dose again a few days ago, and I am worried that the pain will be starting again.

I am planning on seeing a physical therapist to help me with exercises that could alleviate some of the pain. I also ice, and sit in a whirlpool tub, which also seems to help.

Laurie

Lettik 02-19-2012 11:56 PM

Lauriesh,
I am sorry to hear about your continous joint pain. I didn't know it could become chronic. But, my question would be, is the treatment working?
I am currrenly on Herceptin and Tykerb and even though my last CT showed my cancer was not progressing, I have alot of side effects from the Tykerb.
Hope the physical therapist will be able to help you.
I've been considering accupressure/accupuncture. Ever tried it?
Good luck.
Lettik

Lauriesh 02-20-2012 08:59 AM

Hi Lettik,
Yes, it is working. On Feb. 25, I will be one year NED. I only take 750 mg of tykerb,(3 pills) and if the side effects get too bad, I will take a break for a awhile to let my digestive system get back to normal.
I have never tried accupuncture.
I hope the combo works for you.

Laurie

Pray 02-20-2012 02:07 PM

Laurie, We look forward to your post on the 25th How wonderful for you and your family!!!!

Lani 02-20-2012 02:57 PM

some ladies here reported that if you ask the pharmacist mixing up the herceptin for use for you to leave out the benzoyl alcohol (preservative, reportedly only needed if there is some left in the vial to give someone else later) from the vial only given to you, it cuts down on the total preservative infused (only that from the vial shared with another patient which requires the preservative be mixed with it) that they had less joint pain. May be worth inquiring about.

rachelhmmd 02-20-2012 06:08 PM

For the shaking chills associated with herceptin, my docs gave me low dose Demerol. Worked like a charm. Though they couldn't tell me the exact mechanism, they thought it was something about the opiate receptor, which makes sense...

Lettik 02-20-2012 09:12 PM

Lauriesh,
I was sooooo happy to hear the treatment is working and you are NED for almost a year. Kudos!!

Great suggestion from Lani and it seems it would be worth a try.

Do you all get "premeds" before Herceptin treatments? I get (2 tylenol, and a benedryl).
Just my opinion, but I have no faith that tylenol works for anything. Too much can damage the liver. Scary for those of us with liver met. The benedryl just makes me tired.
Everyone is different.

Take care
Lettik

mschwab 02-21-2012 03:34 PM

I have stiffness and muscle pain on Herception, and the drippy nose. I've had 3 Herceptin-only infustions so far, and it seems that the muscle pain was a little less this time around. Hope that pattern continues.

Lettik, I don't get any pre-meds with my Herceptin infusion.

Maryann

MCS 02-29-2012 10:20 AM

during herceptin only, I had joint pains that I thought i had bone cancer too. Took vicadent-did nothing.
I took Iburofen and went and lied down in bed, almost every night by 7pm and that worked.
I did not try massage but you may want to find a good mmt massager, sometimes as part of a chiropractor's office, that could massage your joints. Some are covered by insurance.
Good luck
Maria (mcs)

bevilj 03-01-2012 09:02 AM

I've experienced joint pain/discomfort, constant chills, and a runny nose since I started taking Herceptin. Since I've been taking a slew of other meds along the way, I never associated it with Herceptin alone. But, it makes sense after reading all of these posts.

I wear wool socks most days in the winter to help stay warm. I also take 2 ibuprofen every night before I go to bed. It helps me sleep better because I'm not concentrating on the achiness.

Thanks for posting this question - it's good to know we're not alone with our side effects...