HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   question on skin mets (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52626)

micheleu 12-27-2011 04:32 PM

question on skin mets

Is skin mets usually along the scar line? I'm freaking out becuze i noticed a spot not on my scar line but above my scar from drain. It looks like a cigarette burn. I looked at some pictures online and it looks like it could be mets!

Delaney 12-28-2011 02:03 AM

Re: question on skin mets

It could just be a dry patch of skin. See if it increases in size and then a biopsy will tell you. Mine grew rapidly so if you are looking at the same size patch you should be ok.

StephN 12-28-2011 12:39 PM

Dear Michele -
When can you see your doctor? Like Delaney says, if it grows or changes without going away, gt a biopsy. I think they call it a "punch" biopsy for the skin.

There is an interesting trial here at the U of W Tumor Group for HER2 skin mets. There is a topical cream called Imiquimod that is used. Seems to be effective for several people. (This trial has been a little slow to accrue, and I think is still open.)

Hope it will just be some winter dry skin.

Mandamoo 12-28-2011 04:32 PM

Hi Michele
My skin met is not near my scar at all. It initially looked like acne (no head) but red, inflamed area - the other acne went but not the met and then after about 3 months it changed starting to grow and spread in a starlike fashion. Apparently it still didn't look typical of a met but punch biopsy proved otherwise. It is worth getting checked - its probably dry skin but go with your intuition and then you will know for sure.

tricia keegan 12-29-2011 02:53 PM

Hi Michele,

I had a scaly itchy tiny spot on my leg which I had checked and thankfully it was Bowens disease which you may know is a precurser for cancer, I still needed tx but my point is if at all worried get it checked as any skin change may be not what it appears to be!

sassy 12-29-2011 09:14 PM

Hey Michele,

I hope this is just dry skin, but keep us posted.

It was one of your posts that helped me find this site-and gave me lots of hope. So keeping you in my prayers and all my fingers and toes crossed!

bejuce 12-30-2011 01:12 PM

Hi Michele,

I had a couple or red/pink dots show up on my skin near my scar and freaked out too. I went to see my surgeon and he told me it was probably nothing but given my stress level he agreed to biopsy it. He was right and the spots were indeed nothing.

Here's hoping that yours turn out to be nothing as well! As Rhonda said, you're an inspiration to us all and we look forward to your posts of NED every year.

Many hugs,

Marcia

Rohm 12-31-2011 07:47 PM

This probably sounds a little over the top, but I found it really useful to take a weekly picture of my rash (that in my case turned out to be skin mets). It made it really easy to see it getting better (and worse).

In any case, get in to see a doctor to get a biopsy (it is easy). Try not to make yourself crazy wondering.

Sheila 01-04-2012 07:03 AM

Mine showed up on the scar line in my neck area, where nodes were removed and found to be the BC returned. Mine grew slowly at first, but now are very reactive and feel free to rear their ugly head or lumps when a treatment quits working! Get it checked to be on the safe side!