HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Chemo Failure #3...now I'm doing what??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57533)

chrisy 03-08-2013 12:51 PM

Chemo Failure #3...now I'm doing what???

You all know I'm notorious for not posting updates, particularly not-so-happy ones. I tend to sneak little hints in other posts...

But as my her2family, I know you want to hear what's going on, even if it's scary:(

As Denise would say, I'm definitely on a "one set of footprints" track and am seriously running out of options.
If you don't want to read the details, don't...but I am again asking for bold prayers for next week - I know that when I don't feel well its nearly impossible to keep my head and spirit in the right direction!

So, here goes: hard to believe that a year ago next week I started on a trial that shrunk my stupid liver tumors by like 70% over the course of 5 months! Then stopped working in August.

Since then I've been on a sampler tour of the diminishing list of chemos untried; first taxotere/perjeta (although I think the perjeta helped, the taxane failed), followed by navelbine and then gem/carbo. The stupid tumor not only refused to lie down, but grew through each of these!

It's challenging my HOPE (both Rugo and in the larger sense of the word). But we are not giving up.

Monday I will undergo the first of multiple TACE procedures (trans-arterial chemoembolization) to hopefully get some stability and buy time to set some other paths.

It is multiple procedures because I have so much disease and other complicating factors which make it riskier, so the plan is to "go gently, not just cowboy it". Direct quote from the IR, who I like very much. The procedure itself is not supposed to be painful, but the aftermath can be as "we're shooting a crapload of chemo directly into the tumor and it really pisses it off" (another direct quote). Well, a liver full of tumors + mild ascites and bloating is painful already!

She has had some patients not do well with the side effects, while another went to Bali during the 2 week break before treatments. Maybe I should buy tickets now:)

I told the people at Genentech to get their a$$es back to work and pronto. Don't rest on your TDM1 laurels, now it's all about Chris because she's so greedy for life.

Thanks always for your love and support. I haven't posted much lately because I just haven't had the energy...but know that I think of and pary for you daily.
Chris

NEDenise 03-08-2013 01:06 PM

Re: Chemo Failure #3...now I'm doing what???

No! No! No!
Chris,
There may only be one set of footprints in the sand...but there are lots and lots of us following behind...praying and lifting you up!

From now, through Monday, and until I hear an update, I'll be banging on the gates of heaven on your behalf. You've been so brave, fought so hard for all of us...you deserve a break.

And, sister, I'm just the one to pester the Lord till he's sick of hearing it!! I'm on a mission. Our Chris needs a full-blown, spectracolor miracle! And dammit! I'm gonna ask for it...shamelessly...boldly. I'm even going to add in that you don't need any ugly side-effects to deal with. (Tickets to Bali, are of course, optional.)

Sending you prayers, love, and a warm healing hug across the miles.
Try to rest, in His arms, and ours...
Denise

phil 03-08-2013 01:45 PM

i forget details of how long t dm-1 worked, etc., could it be tried w/ pert ? , has herc/tyk been tried ?

Jackie07 03-08-2013 01:45 PM

Chris,

The procedure sounds promising. I'm sending you good vibes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACE

StephN 03-08-2013 01:46 PM

Prayers - YES.

Tix to Bali - YES. I am ready to return ... know a great guide.

Chemoembolization - very little talk of that on this board, so we will look forward to your description when you feel like posting it. Here's to a real "pisser" of a direct hit.

Hopefully this approach to the stubborn liver tumors will give the rest of your body a little break to recover. Been missing your cogent and insightful comments.

Redwolf8812 03-08-2013 02:20 PM

Prayers going up! You're due for good news and this is it!

- Penny

Barbara H. 03-08-2013 03:31 PM

Chris,
Your post just broke my heart. I remember when you went on TDM-1 and it was working so well for you. We were on it for a while at the same time.
TDM-1 was working so well for you that I actually thought that you might remain NED and never have to switch to something else. I'm hoping that your procedure will buy you some more time to find your magic bullet again.
My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you.
Kind regards,
Barbara H.

europa 03-08-2013 03:45 PM

Praying HARD. I hope that visualization works as I am visualizing the cancer screaming as it breaks apart and dissolves as they do the procedure.

Midwest Alice 03-08-2013 05:17 PM

Chris, praying the cancer gets pissed off and dies.

tricia keegan 03-08-2013 05:37 PM

Chris, you are one hell of a strong lady and will find something to beat this I'm sure, but I'm saying a few prayers too which can't hurt!!!

sassy 03-08-2013 06:13 PM

Loads of prayers for you my dear.
With a side of mole' to boot!
You will kick butt yet again, no doubt.

Bill 03-08-2013 07:04 PM

Hey, Chris! You have my prayers, Young Lady. (The entire lot of you do). Thanks for keeping us in the loop. You hang in there.
Hugs, Bill

Paty 03-08-2013 07:20 PM

All my love and prayers for you Chris! Hugs, hugs.

KDR 03-08-2013 07:31 PM

Aww, Chrisy, I saw your post and had to walk away for a few hours. I just can't believe what some of us have to endure.

The letdown of a failed regimen feels like our skins are ripped off. No protection. No progress...no success. These are the times we, The Conquerors, get up and stab the XXXXer in the heart. I'm so mad I could scream.

You have been a beacon for so many, look at you...you are not a paper tiger. You, my friend, are the real thing, and you and Genentech and your team will figure this out.
From NY to CA, one big warm hug,
Love
Karen

Soccermom 03-08-2013 07:33 PM

Chrissy, Am favoring the concept of the cancer "dying"! Yes, Genentech we need you to get to work !!

Sending love,strength and hope..

Marcia

'lizbeth 03-08-2013 08:06 PM

Chrisy,

I hope the procedure gets you right back to health.

Wishing you a smooth recovery!

BonnieR 03-08-2013 08:17 PM

Chrisy, wow, you even got Bill to come out of the woodwork! You have some serious horsepower on your side. I love the feisty quotes from the radiologist. And then you said"she"! What a formidable team you will make! Take no prisoners, you two.
You know I love you. We all do. Keep the faith

Emy 03-08-2013 08:31 PM

Chris...
I send you love and prayers...This is such a difficult struggle....stay strong and positive...keep trying....eat asparagus (good for your liver)...ask about Mediforem, a diabetic drug that inhibits growth of liver tumors. What about radio ablation of the liver, where they burn out the tumors.....why did you choose chemoembolization over radio ablation .....I have been pushing for this, but am waiting to see results from perjeta, herceptin and taxol....6 weeks of treatments so far...taxol weekly, perjeta,herceptin every 3 weeks....I too had dcis in 2001, never told HER2poositive and after 5years of tamoxifen was told I was cured.....until 2010....my liver tumors have never gone away since 2011 which is why I want them out......I know how you feel, and you need to stay strong and positive and keep fighting....I am glad you are having the TACE procedure...
Love, Eileen

Catherine 03-08-2013 09:15 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your honest report. This is not the story you wanted to tell or the one we wanted to hear. That being said, it sure sounds like you and your doctor are doing all the right things. I will be praying that the treatment next week works and that you tolerate it without having to cancel your trip to Bali (ha, ha). You are one of the leaders of the band and we are all listening to your beat.

Rock on, Catherine
PS Have you heard of Dr. Burzynski? I just read a review about an indy movie about his theory on cancer and his fight with the FDA. I do not know anything about it. I will put it on a new post.

Bunty 03-08-2013 09:24 PM

Oh Chrisy, you are amazing that even in the midst of this set back you worry about us. I am sending you prayers and hope, and wish that with the TACE your tumours "die an agonal death"!
Marie x