HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Path report results (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35100)

rebecca0623 08-12-2008 07:41 AM

Path report results

After my quadrantectomy on 7.30.08 just got path results. All 3 nodes taken are clear but there is lymphatic/vascular invasion and we are doing the BRCA testing. I wil lhavd chemo and radiation but it is a good day for me!!! Thanks for all the support! Off to find a wig...

Joan M 08-12-2008 12:30 PM

Rebecca, Glad to hear that your nodes are clear. That's a start in the right direction. Best, Joan

Brenda_D 08-12-2008 01:21 PM

I'm glad to hear you had good news.

If I may ask, how do they know there's lymphatic/vascular invasion?

rebecca0623 08-12-2008 01:32 PM

Good question. I had a "how to read your path report" booklet from the American Cancer Society and they sent me to a class prior to surgery. One of the items you are told to look for in path report was "lymphatic/vascular invasion" in tumor. This is not the same as lymph node involvment but it is another marker of an aggressive tumor. I found mine clearly spelled out on path report and surgeon told me as well.

Lien 08-12-2008 01:56 PM

My onc explained to me at the time, that they check the excised lymphatic and blood vessels for stray cancer cells. If none are present, the cells are still contained within the tumor. If some are present, but none are in the lymph nodes, they haven't gone very far, and you got the tumor out just in time. It does mean that this type of cancer is able to spread, so it's probably a good idea to have chemo and rads. That way, any remaining stray cells can be eradicated.

Lien

Brenda_D 08-12-2008 03:51 PM

I pulled out my path report and it doesn't mention anything about lymphatic/vascular invasion.
The only way I knew I had a positive inner mammary node, was from the Pet/ct scan, and they showed it to me on both the Pet and the CT.
I was just curious since you had negative axillary nodes too.
Like I said, congrats on that. Every little bit of good news helps.

CoachPlayWin 08-13-2008 03:44 AM

I, too, had lymphovascular invasion with no nodal involvement. There isn't a lot of attention paid to this, but I worry about the implications. Does this often lead to metastasis? They always seem to zero in on the lymph nodes as the avenue.

Lien 08-13-2008 04:45 AM

I think the nodes are more important for deciding about therapy. The vascular invasion just tells them that the cancer was ready to start spreading. But as there was nothing in the lymph nodes, it probably hasn't spread yet through the lymphatic system.

These days, most surgeons do a sentinel node biopsy. Before the surgery, a marker is injected into the tumor, to see where the lymphatic fluid goes. During surgery the first node (or nodes) where the marker showed up are removed and sent to pathology. That way the surgeon knows which lymph nodes could be affected. They don't need to remove all nodes, and if lymphatic fluids go to other nodes besides those in your armpit, they are more easily detected. I think this procedure has a 95% success rate, meaning that it finds 95% of all affected nodes.

Hope this helps.

Lien

KathyH 08-13-2008 04:57 AM

thoughts and prayers

Hi Friend,
I'm glad your nodes were clear. We don't live that far from each other. I just talked to someone here in my city who is newly diagnosed as of yesterday. I'm sad that so many are affected by this disease but am so grateful that such strides have been made in curing this disease. Take care.
Blessings, Kathy H

mts 08-13-2008 06:22 AM

Cancer cells are big and can hardly fit through the tiny vascular structures... Picture a cherry trying to get through a straw...
BUT- since cancer is so unpredictable, the chemo and rads are necessary to catch the strays.

Maria