HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I asked. Doctor agreed. Reduced Decadron, Reduced Treatments from 6 to 5, & Brain MRI (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64417)

spiritualabundance 01-18-2016 08:46 AM

I asked. Doctor agreed. Reduced Decadron, Reduced Treatments from 6 to 5, & Brain MRI

It never hurts to ask. I met with the doctor before my 3rd treatment last week. Told him how awful the Decadron affected me. He said we could cut it completely but let's reduce it first. Reduced from 10mg to 4mg. Fantastic! It still worked, helping with nausea and inflammation, but I was able to sleep, rest, breath, function, better than the 1st 2 treatments. Additionally, I casually/jokingly said, "feel free to drop my treatments too if you want", and he said, "we can drop the 6th one". WHAT?! I never expected but I'm beyond thrilled. He also agreed to a brain MRI asap, but on hold awaiting insurance approval. Oh Insurance, don't you know it could actually SAVE you money in the long run! Bunch of numb skulls.

Just wanted to share my good news. God is working His will in all of our lives. He knows our needs, knows our wants. We need to believe, be thankful for all of what God puts in our life even if we don't understand it, and ask for Him to move our mountain and simply ask for what we want. Sometimes it's in His timing and sometimes He simply wants us to rest in His embrace, and sometimes He wants us home, with Him. It's all His will but the end result is always the same at the end of our time, eternal peace, love, comfort, happiness with Him! Praise God!

Believe!

agness 01-18-2016 09:29 AM

Re: I asked. Doctor agreed. Reduced Decadron, Reduced Treatments from 6 to 5, & Brain

That is great. Will you get a planning MRI prior to that 6th dose? I didn't get mine until the day after my 6th dose but there were no cells found then or at my surgery. They weren't sure about two nodes but the one they dissected just had scar tissue formation -- the other one was behind my chest wall and they weren't going to operate on it.

Seriously, I think I was overtreated with neoadjuvant treatment, even as I was undertreated for brain mets.

spiritualabundance 01-18-2016 09:32 AM

Re: I asked. Doctor agreed. Reduced Decadron, Reduced Treatments from 6 to 5, & Brain

Not sure of the plans for a planning MRI. I recently had Pet scans of my abdomen, chest, and pelvis. All were clear. I don't know if they'll repeat those but I can certainly ask my doctor. Thanks for the tip.

suzan w 01-19-2016 03:20 PM

because decadron is a steroid, it is wise to cut back in increments. Glad you can get away from this stuff!!!

jra40 01-20-2016 12:06 PM

Such great news for you - God is good!!!