HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Legs are Healing (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59297)

sassy 10-14-2013 10:51 PM

Legs are Healing

Sometimes being "special", or should I say "rare" is just a pain in the.......legs.

One of the "rare" side effects of long term use of bisphosphonates is the development of stress fractures in the upper femurs.

I'm just one of the rare birds! My stress fractures were diagnosed earlier this summer. Happy to report that my latest x-rays show signs of healing!!! I think my orthopedist was really surprised. He looked at the x-rays and exclaimed "Look! Your body is cooperating! I sure am glad we didn't put rods in your legs--but it sure was tempting!" He's glad??? Made me a little happy too.

So i'm allowed to walk once again. I still have to be careful. But walking is good and I'm planning on complete healing.

So my word of caution--please be aware of this possible side effect, especially if you continue with bisphosphonates longer than five years.

Pamelamary 10-14-2013 11:08 PM

Re: Legs are Healing

Thanks Sassy, specially since many of us will be on them for a long time. (We hope?!!?) Glad to hear your legs are healing, and that you are walking again.
Best wishes..... Pam

NEDenise 10-15-2013 06:12 AM

Yay! YOU!!
Needed some good news today!
Thanks Rhonda... and prayers on top of prayers for continued healing!
You go girl!
Denise

Jackie07 10-15-2013 07:01 AM

Wonderful! Very happy for you. Pray for continued healing.

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-15-2013 08:27 AM

You're talking to your body, and it is responding!! So proud of you, Sassy. And happy too.

Please define biphosphonates. If I google, I lose my connection to this site and...

Love you,
Andi

MaineRottweilers 10-15-2013 01:41 PM

Hooray for being able to walk again! Great news.

waterdreamer 10-15-2013 03:25 PM

What wonderful news, you must be feeding your body well, for it to be so co-operative. SO happy for you.

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-15-2013 03:37 PM

Keep feeding your body Assumptions of WELLNESS!

See it. FEEL how the realization of your vision will be. Experience it. Live it.

Make your Expectation and Intention clear.

That's what I think.

Good job, Sassy!

Laurel 10-15-2013 06:13 PM

Rhonda,

I have my reservations regarding the employment of bisphosphonates to strengthen bones because while they do increase bone density modestly, it is only the outer most region of the bone while the interior remains quite weak. The rate of fractures for those on bisphosphonates such as Boniva, Fosamax, etc, is the same as for those who do not take them, no appreciable difference. I know they can reduce the incidence of bone mets in BC patients by nearly 30%, but even that seems to be in doubt now.

Not sure they are worth the many side effects.

Anywho, so glad you are up and about (however gingerly) again. You have been on my mind quite a bit lately, so I am especially glad to see your post!

StephN 10-15-2013 07:25 PM

Wonderful news that the fractures are healing without such drastic intervention.

Ok - chin up, tummy in and step forward - carefully ...

'lizbeth 10-16-2013 09:29 AM

Goodness Sassy, you mean you haven't been able to walk?
I had no idea how serious the side effects could be.

Happy to hear that you are healing and gaining your independence back. Pretty soon you will be back to your original Sassy self!

sassy 10-16-2013 04:57 PM

I've been able to walk on a very limited basis.no more than 25 yards at a time, not on any uneven surface---etc. The fear was I would further injure or simply break my legs. Orthopedist said I was actually lucky that I realized something was going on--most people don't realize it until they actually break a leg--and that would mean rods! So now I've been turned loose to walk and not just be a total slug! Lost a lot of muscle tone. Still just have to be very careful of any impact.

I understand your comments Laurel. The strengthening only occurs on the outside. In my case the culprit was Zometa, given to both reduce the incidence of bone mets and to build bone density. For me, I did have an increase in bone density after starting Zometa, and there is no way to know what the effect on reduction of bone mets may be. Ortho said my BMD looks good overall and this specific fracture occurs with long term use.

Had I known more, I would probably still have used the Zometa---but would have stopped at 5 years---rather than continuing for another year and a half. There is no appreciable benefit on density after 5 years.

Because of all this--I'm off an AI now also. Onc thinks maybe a break will be a good thing. We will revisit going back on Arimidex at some point.

So for the first time in 8 1/2 years I'm off all cancer meds. Feels pretty good, but a little scary. I firmly believe that continuing an AI for 10 years or maybe even more will prove to be the best course for BC patients who like me are triple positive.

Live and Learn----which is exactly what we are all trying to do. So I hope that my misfortune with my legs will be info others can benefit from.

Thanks for all your well wishes!

Laurel 10-16-2013 06:13 PM

Hey Rhonda, please report back in a few weeks and then months and let us know how you feel off of the AIs. I am in my 5th year of ant-ihormonals, but using Tamoxifen due to the tendon swelling secondary to the Femara. I really have no side effects from the Tamoxifen, but do worry about the uterine ca. and liver damage that it can cause. I often wonder what it might be like to be off of the anti-hormonal drugs.

Paty 10-17-2013 10:52 PM

My dear friend Rhonda, I hope complete healing comes to you soon, in the meantime I send you hugs, and more hugs. Take care.

caya 10-18-2013 11:40 AM

Thanks for sharing your good news Rhonda! I hope you continue to heal and get stronger.

all the best
caya

KsGal 10-18-2013 01:59 PM

My gosh, I wasn't aware of this side effect. I'm so glad that you are healing, and I will send lots of prayers that it just continues to get better and better, and fast! This is definitely good news, thank you for sharing it!

karen z 10-18-2013 07:47 PM

Rhonda,
Everything is sounding good. Remember to start slowly and slowly build up. You do not want any more damage right now. Take care. So glad you are feeling better.
Love,
K

alicem 10-18-2013 09:59 PM

Hi Rhonda,

I'm so grateful that no rods were needed and that your bones are on the mend. I completely understand about loss of muscle tone. This happened to me after my car accident last year when I broke the lower tip of my tibia. I was off my foot for only about 6 weeks and I couldn't believe how much muscle I lost - along with any stamina.

Take good care of yourself, nice and easy, and your body will definitely reward you. Miss you my friend!

~Love, Alice