HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Heavy head? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58632)

bejuce 07-21-2013 03:28 PM

Heavy head?

Hi Her-2ers,

I've feeling a little heavy headed for the past couple of weeks and was wondering if this is a symptom or sign of something I should check. I don't have a headache or feel dizzy, just a sense that my head is a little heavy. Sounds strange, but I figured I should ask the group.

Some background: I've had to work very hard the past couple of weeks due to a stolen laptop and lack of a recent back-up. I was going to bed after 1am and waking up at 6-7. Could this be from lack of sleep? Am I just imagining things?

What is the stats on likelihood of brain mets for stage 3? I'll be 5 years out from diagnosis Feb '14.

Thanks!!!

'lizbeth 07-21-2013 03:56 PM

Re: Heavy head?

It could be stress and fatigue. I also envision you head down working over a computer for long hours without enough time for the muscles that attach to your occipital ridge to recover. If you lean the head forward of its axis you are putting great strain on your neck muscles.

Take more breaks and imagine you have a skyhook at the top of your head pulling it up into alignment. Find some gentle stretches.

Also sink your fingers firmly into the scalp and move them in circles to release tension in the muscles of the scalp. Scratching feels great too.

Try to get more rest, and put a call into your doctor for an assessment.

Sorry about your laptop. I hate to do backups myself.

karen z 07-21-2013 11:11 PM

I am guessing it may be a combo of stress and fatigue but, whenever you have symptoms for awhile, it is best to check out with your doctor. You will feel better if you do.

Jackie07 07-22-2013 04:30 AM

It is stress and fatigue unless your heaviness switches sides when you tilt your head - then it might be the cerebral-spinal fluid being squeezed into different places inside the ventricle.

I had the 'heavy head' most of my formative years because of 'hydrocephalus' ('water in the head') due to the huge tumor inside of the right lateral ventricle.
While sitting in the classroom, I would often experiment holding my head with one hand/arm on the desk. Once it got too heavy, I'd switch to the other side.

Be sure to let your doctor know about the situation.

europa 07-22-2013 06:14 AM

Sounds like fatigue. I get the same feeling when I'm exhausted mentally...couple that with humidity and a change in air pressure...forget it, I'm useless.

Like anything though, if it persists for more than two weeks, I would let your doc know.

Hopeful 07-22-2013 06:45 AM

Do you have any kind of sinus condition, or allergies? It is not unusual for me to have the symptoms come on so subtly, that I am yawning and almost falling asleep at work (the "heavy head") when I realize I have congestion, and take an antihistamine.

Hopeful

valleygirl 07-22-2013 07:50 AM

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's a very odd feeling. Made an appointment tomorrow with my doctor and hoping for a MRI. I had one about 8 months ago, but really think I need another. Been feeling this way about 3 weeks, it comes and goes. I've just finished Herceptin

SoCalGal 07-22-2013 11:17 PM

I'm sure that any brain mets are not heavy enough to weigh your head down - the skull and brain are heavier than any met would be :-)

More common symptoms of brain mets are headaches, or blurry vision, or slurred speech, or dizziness, or bumping into walls when you walk, or falling, etc.

bejuce 07-23-2013 10:14 AM

Lol, I like that description - no brain met heavier than the head. Thank you all for chiming in. I seem to have found the culprit for my head heaviness. I'm definitely coming down with something, as I feel very tired and just want to sleep. I seem to be catching a major cold. My co-worker that sits in the cube behind me was dealing with it last week and my body may have been trying to fight it off. God, when will I stop thinking that every little thing is a sign of mets???