HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How many of you worked in professions where you were exposed to radiation I wonder (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57105)

Lani 01-21-2013 03:08 AM

How many of you worked in professions where you were exposed to radiation I wonder

The following article got me thinking. Any xray technicians or dental technicians among you?

ALso whereas the article cites possible use of the targets to radiosensitize tumors, perhaps treating her2+ dcis and/or idc with radiation therapy might be problematic, including to other locations in the same and the other breast. It will not be until studies of radiation therapy results are subdivided by breast cancer subtype, that any problems IF THEY EXIST will be discovered.

Oncogene. 2013 Jan 14. doi: 10.1038/onc.2012.629. [Epub ahead of print]
ErbB2, FoxM1 and 14-3-3ζ prime breast cancer cells for invasion in response to ionizing radiation.
Kambach DM, Sodi VL, Lelkes PI, Azizkhan-Clifford J, Reginato MJ.
Source
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
Abstract
ErbB2 is frequently highly expressed in premalignant breast cancers, including ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS); however, little is known about the signals or pathways it contributes to progression into the invasive/malignant state. Radiotherapy is often used to treat early premalignant lesions regardless of ErbB2 status. Here, we show that clinically relevant doses of ionizing radiation (IR)-induce cellular invasion of ErbB2-expressing breast cancer cells, as well as MCF10A cells overexpressing ErbB2. ErbB2-negative breast cancer cells, such as MCF7 and T47D, do not invade following treatment with IR nor do MCF10A cells overexpressing epidermal growth factor receptor. ErbB2 becomes phosphorylated at tyrosine 877 in a dose- and time- dependent manner following exposure to X-rays, and activates downstream signaling cascades including PI3K/Akt. Inhibition of these pathways, as well as inhibition of reactive oxygen species (ROS) with antioxidants, prevents IR-induced invasion. Activation of ErbB2-dependent signaling results in upregulation of the forkhead family transcription factor, FoxM1, and its transcriptional targets, including matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP2). Inhibition of FoxM1 by RNA interference prevented induction of invasion by IR, and overexpression of FoxM1 in MCF10A cells was sufficient to promote IR-induced invasion. Moreover, we found that 14-3-3ζ is also upregulated by IR in cancer cells in a ROS-dependent manner, is required for IR-induced invasion in ErbB2-positive breast cancer cells and together with FoxM1 is sufficient for invasion in ErbB2-negative breast cancer cells. Thus, our data show that IR-mediated activation of ErbB2 and induction of 14-3-3ζ collaborate to regulate FoxM1 and promote invasion of breast cancer cells and furthermore, may serve as therapeutic targets to enhance radiosensitivity of breast cancers.Oncogene advance online publication, 14 January 2013; doi:10.1038/onc.2012.629.
PMID: 23318431 [PubMed -]

chrislmelb 01-21-2013 07:45 AM

Re: How many of you worked in professions where you were exposed to radiation I wonde

Hi Lani, i was a dental assitant for 12 years and my boss used to xray so much. We were behind a metal wall but i did wonder. A dental technician shouldn't be affeted by radiation unless they do something i can't think of.
I am hopeless at reading those articles. In plain English(!!!!), can you tell me what it says please?
thanks
Christine

Lani 01-21-2013 10:50 AM

Re: How many of you worked in professions where you were exposed to radiation I wonde

It says radiation in doses like those used in the field of medicine can cause noninvasive DCIS to turn into invasive IDC in an experimental model (this has not been shown in in intact humans yet)

Emy 01-21-2013 07:36 PM

Worked as nuclear medicine tech for 7 years
Eileen

Jen 01-21-2013 07:45 PM

Sheila (my Mom) was a "nuclear nurse" that worked in Nuclear power plants.

evergreen 01-21-2013 09:01 PM

I was a teacher.

StephN 01-21-2013 10:31 PM

I grew up "downwind" of the Hanford nuclear reservation in eastern Washington State. They had radiation "leaks" during my childhood that have been confirmed in later years. We ate food from the local farms and mom and neighbors grew foods and had fruit trees that we traded items from. I swam in the Columbia River.

P.S. I used to edit books and we used rubber cement to cut and paste all day long. I am sure there was something toxic about that glue.

cienna 01-22-2013 04:14 AM

My mum is an X-Ray tech for over 20 years. She retired when she was diagnosed but still does locums now and again.

Ora 01-23-2013 10:15 PM

I was a health physics tech, then rad manager for 25 years at rad decommissioning sites.

carlatte7 01-24-2013 03:34 PM

RN in a hospital...

KDR 01-24-2013 05:20 PM

In front of computer screen since 1980. Worry about my daughter and the effect of today's constant gadgets kids use.

Karen

Ceesun 01-28-2013 09:28 PM

I was a teacher...but had radiation treatment to the thymus gland(enlarged) as an infant..one treatment..was the standard of care then. As a young adult was diagnosed with a slow growing thyroid cancer and @ 25 years later breast cancer...in my case, it was the radiation.

Deb33 01-28-2013 09:33 PM

Flight Attendant for 17 years - late 70's - early 90's. One of us tried to wear a device that measured radiation during a flight and were immediately disciplined. Who knows what we carried in baggage claim?

1rarebird 01-30-2013 03:55 PM

I worked 30 years in industrial and environmental settings where exposure to higher than natural background radiation was always a potential. However, I suspect the chemical carcinogens I was more frequently exposed to over those years may have more to do with my breast cancer than the radiation exposure. It is ironic to me that after my diagnosis some of the treatments I received included both radiation and possibly carcinogenic compounds that affect normal cellular growth. But sometimes I suppose you have to fight fire with fire.---bird

Debra 02-12-2013 09:58 PM

I have worked as an x-ray technologist since 1990. I was diagnosed in 2005 but have been teaching in the field since 2000 so not "in" exposure areas as much from 2000-2005. I often wondered about my bc and the exposure I received. I did a lot of fluoroscopy (upper GI's etc) so was often in the room with patient during exposure; wearing a lead apron but back then, those aprons were not checked as often. I also have a son that had testicular cancer diagnosed at the age of 1; (20 yrs ago). Did a lot of fluoroscopy the weeks prior to finding out I was pregnant. Again, wore all the protective apparal but still wonder. It is a very safe profession if we use good "radiation hygiene" and have good protective apparal. Now days, I doubt if the occupational exposure would be a contributing factor for those of us following the proper protocol; but some of us old-timers....makes us wonder!