HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can't Sleep! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49711)

joyce lutz 04-23-2011 08:55 AM

Can't Sleep!

Any suggestions for my daughter to use to help her sleep? She is only getting 3 hrs. a night and it is dragging her down. She has tried Ativan and Ambien and neither of those work any more. She drinks no alcohol or caffeine drinks. Any ideas would be most welcome. She recently had SRS and prior to that a year ago WBR for mets to the brain. My best to you all
Joyce

Mary L 04-23-2011 10:09 AM

Re: Can't Sleep!

Just an idea, I love to drink a cup of chamomile sleepytime tea right before I go to bed. Also a nice hot bath at bedtime helps. Mary L

ElaineM 04-23-2011 10:59 AM

How about hot milk? Sometimes putting in a bit of honey helps.

Jackie07 04-23-2011 12:36 PM

Does she get enough physical activity during the day? Perhaps a leisurely 30-minute walk after supper will help. I have a tumor that is near the Thalamus which is involved with the 'sleep-awake' cycle. My sleep pattern is totally messed up. But I sleep whenever I feel tired (seems like I've been having a 6-hour sleep, 6-hour awake pattern.)

Light affects our sleep cycle as well. Be sure to get her out in the sunlight for a couple of hours during the day and keep the bed room dark at all time.

Debbie L. 04-23-2011 07:36 PM

Joyce, is she taking steroids (decadron) still? They are the worst, for messing up sleep.

I don't know if it works for all sleep issues, but when I'm wakeful, I've had great success with listening to audiobooks. For example, in those wee hours when the brain begins to churn, instead of going with that -- I put in my earbuds and begin to concentrate on whatever story I'm currently listening to -- and next thing I know, I'm waking up. One night, I might just need this crutch once. Or on another night, many times. But even on the occasions when I don't fall right to sleep, I am able to relax and enjoy hearing the stories (as opposed to fretting because I'm not sleeping). It's best if they are reasonably-interesting but relatively "light" stories, because they have to hold my interest (not let my thoughts kick in) until I'm asleep.

I get my audiobooks from "booksfree" (which is a misnomer, they are not free). They send me "rental" books (CDs or MP3s), I download them and transfer them to my iPod, send them back, they send me more. Etc. They are also excellent for long drives. Or even boring housework chores.

There are no side effects (that I know of), but this sleep aid IS somewhat addicting.

Debbie Laxague

pibikay 04-24-2011 03:13 AM

Hema has been prescribed half a tablet of .25 Anxit.
It works

joyce lutz 04-24-2011 07:47 AM

Thank you for all of the ideas I will pass them along to her. I tried looking up "Hema" and did not see anything on it. Can you give more info? thanks! My best to you all
Joyce

trasia 04-24-2011 08:26 AM

hi joyce,
have your daughter tried Melatonin and 5HTP? as well as valerian?
if you have a chiropractor around-- they usually do some adjustments as well to treat insomnia.

Chelee 04-24-2011 03:13 PM

The yr before I was dx with bc I had the worse insomnia possible. I tried Ambien and a few of the benzodiazepines. They help a little...but only 3 or 4 hrs if I was lucky. What finally worked for me was an older drug that's been around. It was Restoril. My primary doctor told me not to take it if I didn't have 8 hrs to sleep. It's one of those drugs that can linger. For me it turned out to be a miracle drug because I finally got some sleep. The drug allowed me to sleep through the night and restored my sanity. I sure hope your daughter finds something that works for her soon.

Chelee

pibikay 04-24-2011 04:49 PM

Hello joyce
Hema is my wifes name

MaryAn 04-24-2011 05:17 PM

I hope your daughter is healing each day. I have to say, I was totally messed up during my THC treatment. What wound me up was the steroids, and the herceptin but I also faced serious depression issues, has she spoken to her doctor about this? We need sleep to heal properly, maybe she can get a sleep aid from her oncologist? my heart and prayers go out to you and her.
mary ann

hutchibk 04-24-2011 11:47 PM

I have had luck with L-Theanine... my naturopath told me to try it. It is an amino acid found in green tea that produces calming effects in the brain by increasing levels of serotonin and dopamine, and blocking the binding of L-glutamic acid to glutamate receptors. It increases alpha-brain waves, electrical brain activity commonly present when you are very relaxed, literally putting you in a better mood, and helping you sleep.
I started w/ 100 mg, which was too strong (I woke up woozy), so I bought a chewable and I break it in half which works well for me, but I am a real lightweight.

Also, I occasionally use Xanax (.25 mg) to fall asleep, but it doesn't keep you asleep. Only works for 4 - 6 hours.

And, I have had great luck with 2 mg Lunesta.

harrie 04-25-2011 12:31 AM

Nothing like a good foot massage to help me sleep.

Trish 04-25-2011 10:07 PM

Debbie I have also been using the talking books technique for nearly 20 years. It obviously hasn't cured the problem but it does make it quite manageable. I was so pleased to hear somebody else uses it-I don't feel so weird! I favour boring books for this purpose and keep interesting ones for reading. I hope your daughter finds some relief soon, Joyce,
Trish