HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   anyone else tried milk thistle for the liver? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59140)

debsing 09-28-2013 02:52 PM

anyone else tried milk thistle for the liver?

Oncologist says kadcyla can be hard on the liver, plus I have liver mets and am hoping I can support its functions with milk thistle.. anyone else tried this?

'lizbeth 09-28-2013 03:36 PM

Re: anyone else tried milk thistle for the liver?

I took it for years, but I never had mets.

I just got out of the habit.

I am one of those individuals who does not process pharmaceuticals very well - I feel it was helpful.

Laurel 09-28-2013 06:29 PM

Seems to me StephN used it and did well. Try PMing her. Good luck with your treatment.

debsing 09-29-2013 01:15 AM

What an adorable Kitty! I love black cats!

hilsandglen 09-29-2013 04:22 AM

Hi, I have had a lot of problems ( no mets ) with my liver since I had chemo in 2011. I will give milk thistle a go :)

StephN 09-29-2013 03:15 PM

Hello -
Laurel is on the ball!
Yes, I did take it for a long time.

If memory serves, I did not take it when I was realy tired on one of my chemo rounds. But I did take it for a lot of my treatment time. My med onc felt that it was OK, so I did it with his say so.

Once I was finally off treatment I did take it for a few years. Like 'lizbeth I just began focusing on other things and stopped taking it. Just like to limit the number of supplements I take and felt I needed some others for heart health, etc.

ElaineM 09-29-2013 08:04 PM

I have been taking milk thistle every day since my diagnosis in 1999. I never had a liver met.
Good luck with it.

yanyan 09-29-2013 10:21 PM

I don't take milk thistle but I take reishi mushroom capsules for my liver. In Asia reishi mushroom has been consumed for thousand of years to boost immune system and protect liver. Take it with vitamin c for better absorption.

KsGal 10-02-2013 04:57 PM

I take milk thistle every day. I started out with a liver met a month after diagnosis. The liver met is gone now...but I take the milk thistle because my liver enzymes are elevated, and I am on Tykerb, which is hard on the liver. Right now I have to do a reduced dose of the Tykerb because of my liver enzymes, but the last few rounds of lab work they have slowly been creeping down.