HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Plexus Slim? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60423)

DragonMom 03-02-2014 08:45 PM

Plexus Slim?

Has anyone tried it or using it to help keep your weight under control while on AIs can just food and exercise is not working for me. I think I need a booster

Jackie07 03-04-2014 04:33 PM

Re: Plexus Slim?

Hi,

Haven't been able to find any non-commercial review of the product Plexus Slim.

Haven't thought about my steady weight gain has anything to do with the medicine I've been taking. Used to be underweight all the time because of the life-long brain tumor. So I welcome a healthier look. But seems I remember at the end of the chemo a lot of patients gained weight due to the steroids ... might also look into the chemopause/menopausal issues.

Found an abstract of the 'position paper' of the 'AND':

Nutr Diet. 2013 Feb;113(2):307-17. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2012.12.013.
Position of the academy of nutrition and dietetics: total diet approach to healthy eating.
Freeland-Graves JH1, Nitzke S; Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Author information

Abstract

It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that the total diet or overall pattern of food eaten is the most important focus of healthy eating. All foods can fit within this pattern if consumed in moderation with appropriate portion size and combined with physical activity. The Academy strives to communicate healthy eating messages that emphasize a balance of food and beverages within energy needs, rather than any one food or meal.

Public policies and dietary patterns that support the total diet approach include the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Diet, MyPlate, Let's Move, Nutrition Facts labels, Healthy People 2020, and the Dietary Reference Intakes. In contrast to the total diet approach, classification of specific foods as good or bad is overly simplistic and can foster unhealthy eating behaviors.

Alternative approaches are necessary in some situations. Eating practices are dynamic and influenced by many factors, including taste and food preferences, weight concerns, physiology, time and convenience, environment, abundance of foods, economics, media/marketing, perceived product safety, culture, and attitudes/beliefs.

To increase the effectiveness of nutrition education in promoting sensible food choices, skilled food and nutrition practitioners utilize appropriate behavioral theory and evidence-based strategies. Focusing on variety, moderation, and proportionality in the context of a healthy lifestyle, rather than targeting specific nutrients or foods, can help reduce consumer confusion and prevent unnecessary reliance on supplements. Proactive, empowering, and practical messages that emphasize the total diet approach promote positive lifestyle changes.

TanyaRD 03-12-2014 05:58 AM

Re: Plexus Slim?

Weight control on AIs can be difficult. Plexis Slim contains Garcinia Cambogia which may promote weight loss but may also damage the liver. Does the cancer center have a dietitian you can meet with to review your individual needs?