HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Side effects-THP (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62242)

embur102 11-29-2014 07:16 AM

Side effects-THP

Hi ladies!

I know there are numerous threads that address my questions but I am just too lazy to look for them right now. I appreciate your patience~

I started a new chemo regimen Monday---Taxotere, Herceptin and Perjeta, to treat liver metastasis. I have also been on heavy steroids for brain mets (16mg/day)for the past two weeks, now weaning down to 12mg, next week 8mg, etc until I see neuro oncologist on Dec 15.

Side effects of chemo hit me hard....fatigue is phenomenal, cough, raw mouth,and skin changes already hitting. I'm chalking it up to the body already being beaten up/broken down from the steroids.

I'm doing all the standard stuff---mouth rinse, lotions, rest, fluids, supplements, movement as tolerated, ....anyone have any more ideas, tips,suggestions?
I find you ladies often have better remedies than the docs, ;)

Thank you thank you thank you.

Love to you all,
xoxoxoxoxox

Carol Ann 11-29-2014 04:36 PM

Re: Side effects-THP

Hi Embur, nothing much to add, sounds like you're doing everything ... except -- have you tried an Epsom Salts bath? Very relaxing plus it adds magnesium to your system, which I really needed as I got very constipated from the steroids and Taxotere. Plus it's supposed to help draw toxins out through your skin. If nothing else, it's so soothing just to lie in the hot tub!

I had godawful indigestion from the Taxotere and ginger ale really helped, plus peppermint candies. I got the stevia ginger ale (no high fructose corn syrup!) at the health food store and also I later found a regular grocery store that carried it.

Hope this helps, please know I am thinking of you and hoping this chemo brings you to NED!

Carol Ann

rhondalea 11-29-2014 04:58 PM

That "magic" pink crap they gave me for my mouth didn't help much--in fact, sometimes after I used it, I felt like my throat was closing up. The studies I read at the time say it's more effective for most patients, but I had a couple of bottles of chlorhexidine left over from dental work, and it did a far better job for me. I also gave up my regular toothpaste and used Biotene instead because it was less irritating.

All the magic formulations are here; maybe one of the is the right one for you:
http://www.drotterholt.com/magicmouthwash.html

Objectively speaking, I'm not sure I had that much going on in my mouth, but it was enough to drive me absolutely bananas.

Pamelamary 11-29-2014 07:04 PM

Hi Embur,
Sounds like you are doing the right things. I found taxotere pretty hard, but it worked well for my liver mets. Watch your eyes (dryness, causing watering) and nails - both permanently damaged for me. Do try to work against the fatigue; but listen to your body and take care of yourself.
Best wishes...... Pam

thinkpositive 11-30-2014 08:11 AM

Embur,

Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. I had really bad mouth sores. My onc nurse suggested that I eat ice chips while getting my chemo infussions. Once I started doing that, I had no more sores.

Good luck to you.

rhondalea 11-30-2014 08:15 AM

Oh, how I wish someone had told me to do that. Mouth sores are just the worst. Great tip.

linzer 11-30-2014 09:49 AM

I also used Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. In addition, I did salt/baking soda rinses many times a day and coconut oil pulls once a day. With the coconut oil, you put a teaspoon or so in your mouth and swish for a while. It's supposed to be 15-20 minutes but I never lasted more than 5 minutes - it's kind of gross but works really well.