HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tykerb: Time of day (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45621)

Rich66 06-14-2010 12:06 AM

Tykerb: Time of day

Morning seems easier regarding inherent fasting. But are there reasons to take at other times.
Any thoughts on timing of Tykerb/Femara?

Nancy L 06-14-2010 12:50 PM

Re: Tykerb: Time of day

Rich,

I take mine just before going to sleep. That way I can deal with the diarrhea side effect first thing in the morning before I am out and about. I have been doing this now for 15 months. But I am taking 750mg. This doesn't mean that I haven't had periods of time when the side effects of Tykerb have been with me all day. I carry a bottle of Lomotil in my purse and that takes care of it most of the time.

Good luck to your mom---hope it works well for her.

Pam P 06-14-2010 04:42 PM

I always take it the first thing right away in the morning. That works well for me with no ill effects.

Sandra in GA 06-14-2010 04:51 PM

I seemed to do better taking it first thing in the AM before breakfast. If I waited until an hour after breakfast, I had more gastric activity. These were the two choices I was given by the doctors down at Mayo.

vlcarr 06-14-2010 07:48 PM

During the clinical trial they advised me to take it in the AM. Not sure why but I took mine at 9:00 am each day. I very rarely had the diarrhea but I think that was luck on my part!

Kavy 06-14-2010 11:48 PM

I took Tykerb first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and waited one hour before having breakfast. It worked well for me.
KarlaV.

my2boys 06-22-2010 01:13 PM

I just started taking Tykerb on Saturday and I take it in the evenings about 1 hour after dinner.

I seem to be waking up each morning to diarrhea for about an hour or so. The first night was the worst.

Rich66 06-28-2010 12:12 AM

Thanks folks.
Went with morning...over a week in and zero side effects so far (insert web symbol for crossed fingers). Labs to be taken tomorrow.

hutchibk 06-28-2010 12:08 PM

Being that I am not much of a morning person... and I tend to be hungry right when I wake up, waiting an hour to eat was an issue for me. At night, I pretty much don't eat within about 3-4 hours of going to sleep... so I take it at bedtime and have no probs whatsoever.

After 3 years on Tykerb (1/2 of that w/Xeloda, 1/2 w/Herceptin), I now suffer absolutely NO probs w/diarrhea as a medication side effect. My guts have taught me what they are willing to tolerate and my lectures about CLEAN clean clean eating are the order of the day! I can't eat ANYTHING remotely junky or fried (except about 5 french fries) or I do have problems. But cleaner and more simple, low gluten/simple carb, low sugars, no high fructose corn syrup, no trans fats, no boxed foods, lots of organics (dairy, meats and produce), tons of raw/cooked/juiced fruits and veggies, no drive-thru fast food...

I can have the occasional fun meal, but I also go for it knowing I could have a small consequence.

my2boys 06-29-2010 08:09 AM

My body seems to be adjusting to the Tykerb. It took about a week, although everything is much better now. Still taking it at night before bedtime.

DeenaH 01-16-2011 12:18 PM

I am starting Tykerb tonight. I plan to try it at night before bed first and see how that goes. I am also hungry first thing when I wake up, so nighttime is better for me. If I have any problems, I will switch to mornings before breakfast.

I do have a question though. For those of you who take it at night, can you get that hour or so of problems out of the way earlier if you get up earlier? Or does it hit a certain number of hours after you take the drug? I am not sure what triggers it. If it's just your body waking up and getting upright, I think that will work ok for me. I have to get kids up and out for school in the morning, so I'll need to set my alarm to get up earlier each morning. Hmmm...now that I think about it, maybe that won't work as well! I guess I'll have to figure it out as I go along.

pibikay 01-17-2011 04:54 AM

Hema's Onc has prescribed Tykerb to be taken twice daily after food

hezzy 01-25-2011 01:20 PM

I take it about seven o'clock before bed. Im taking diphen/atrop to control the diaria. The first five min. that I'm awake I take a diphen/atrop than the first five min. after taking Tykerb I take another. I have complete balance without freq.bathroom breaks.