HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My Friend Meredith (Today Show Video Clip) (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47859)

KDR 12-07-2010 12:24 PM

My Friend Meredith (Today Show Video Clip)

Please take a moment to see my friend Meredith who appeared on the Today Show last month for Breast Cancer Awareness to talk about hair loss and chemo among other things we sisters (and brothers) endure. She is in the battle of her life, and in a brand new trial at U of Penn. She has significant mets.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...75699#39775699

Mary L 12-07-2010 01:21 PM

Re: My Friend Meredith (Today Show Video Clip)

She is awesome!!!!!! Mary L

Chelee 12-07-2010 02:08 PM

The link does not work for me? I even tried it on my husband computer and had the same problem? Is there another way I might be able to access this video clip of your friend? Thanks.

Chelee

Chelee 12-07-2010 02:34 PM

I finally got the video to work. She did a great job! What trial at the U of Penn is she enrolled in? Thanks for sharing this with us.

Chelee

KDR 12-07-2010 03:39 PM

She is not HER2 positive. I'm not sure of the trial, it is brand new and only 20 people have been accepted. She will update her Caring Bridge page (Meredith Israel) shortly.

Chelee 12-08-2010 03:37 AM

KDR,
I just found Meredith's page. It looks like she is on a "new" parp trial. It sounds like they have had good results with this trial already..that's very encouraging. I see she only has to go to U of Penn every 28 days...and she can get her labs at Sloan. So she is in good hands as I'm sure you know. :) I will be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers that this trial will blow her cancers cells into smithereens. Sending positive energy her way!

Chelee

KDR 12-08-2010 06:54 AM

Yes, you are correct. She is feeling a bit sick at the start. But as she said, this new trial is working wonders for breast cancer, although ovarian cancer has been dropped from it.

Soccermom 12-14-2010 01:38 PM

Hopefully, PARPs will pan out to being the "Herceptin" for triple negative BC...fingers crossed for Meredith!

Marcia

imdavidson 12-14-2010 07:05 PM

KDR, I just watched the video and was very moved by it. My best wishes to Meredith. I think she may be on the PARP trial for women who carry the BRCA 1 or 2 gene mutation. Do you know if she's a carrier?

tfabre 12-14-2010 08:53 PM

She is beautiful, and awesome! Thanks for sharing the link!!!!!! Please keep us posted on her progress.

Toni

KDR 12-17-2010 05:40 PM

Idelle, you are correct. She is BRAC 2. She is not triple negative. I will ask her if she is a carrier. I forgot. So far, though, so good. I'll pass on your good wishes.

rinaina 12-23-2010 10:24 PM

I could relate to Meredith's experience. I too chose to take whatever control I could and had my hair shaved as soon as I started to lose it because I couldn't stand waking up in the morning and watch my hair fall out and pile up in the bathroom sink. My daughter, (who insisted she be there with me for support), and my closest friend were there with me as well as my wig providers and we all had a glass of red wine first. The amazing thing is, I was stronger then I thought I would be watching the hair slowly being cut and shaved. We did it in stages so that I could see the many options I would have when my hair would grow back. Almost 5 years out now and NED.