HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Herceptin Weight Gain? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50812)

Deb33 07-20-2011 08:34 AM

Herceptin Weight Gain?

Hi everyone,
Has anyone experienced weight gain after they began their Herceptin only protocol? I'm only seeing a few pounds so far but considering I have adopted a vegan diet with few grains and am re-focused on my exercising, it is a little surprising.

snolan 07-20-2011 11:58 AM

Re: Herceptin Weight Gain?

I had a weight drop at the time I started the Tamoxifen but I also stepped up my workouts, switched to cross fit 3x wk and during the summer months I can add an addition bike ride in on Sat. But my Dr did warn me that most people tend to gain some weight. Some may be due to the hormone changes our bodies are going through but for some it may be more psychological and how they are responding to the whole cancer situation. They may be eating more exercising less.

Like you mentioned it may be the change in your diet as your body gets used to it. If you have changed your workout you may be experiencing a change in that as you lose fat and gain muscle the lean muscle weighs more. Something to think about.

Jackie07 07-20-2011 02:33 PM

A lot of people reported Herceptin weight gain in the following discussion at another forum:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/80/topic/729000

Mel3 07-20-2011 07:17 PM

I'm experiencing weight gain also. My diet is good and I've been exercising, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I only have 6 more Herceptin treatments remaining and I hope to drop the weight after that. I had some weight gain during chemo, but it's coming on fast right now. I've also thought it could be related to the vaccine trial I am participating in currently.

Mary Jo 07-20-2011 08:45 PM

I, too, gained while on herceptin. Within 3 months of herceptin being finished, I dropped 10 pounds without changing a thing. :-)

Mary Jo

Yorkiegirl 07-21-2011 08:22 AM

I gained while on herceptin. I gained 20 pounds and it was hard to get off.

bev618 07-21-2011 09:52 AM

I too gained weight and am going to start weight watchers this weekend! Has anybody done this with results? Also stepping up my exercise program after finishing up my chemo treatment! I too have 7 more herceptin treatments!

Bev

suzan w 07-21-2011 02:35 PM

I gained with herceptin...and had a hard time getting it off. Then 2 years later was diagnosed with low thyroid, and take levothyroxin, and the weight came right off. Go figure!!

Deb33 07-21-2011 08:45 PM

Thanks Girls for the feedback - looks like its stretchy pants for me.

Cam 07-24-2011 10:05 AM

Thank God for yoga pants!!! I gained almost 20 pounds during my Taxol/decatron 3 months. Finished Taxol end of March. I am now on a every 3 week Herceptin treatment. I started Jenny Craig, lost about 8 pounds in 4 months, not too encouraging. Started Arimidex and my doctor told me it won't make you gain but will perhaps make it harder to loose. I lost all my enery while on Taxol and am finally feeling a little better, but I have shortness of breath. I try to walk and work with light weights for upper body as much as I can. I have my 6th of 13 Herceptin only treatment on Friday. You girls give me hope that perhaps its the Herceptin also making weight loss a bit harder. Its hard enough going thru this but hair loss and the weight gain too!!!!
Good Luck Everyone

DCIS LB in 2000 had lumpectomy
Stage 1 RB 2010 had double mastectomy
ER PR HER2 positive
Right expander had to be taken out before chemo due to infection. Replaced in June so I'm going for my fills. Not sure when the transfer will occur.

BonnieR 07-24-2011 12:46 PM

Did not notice it so much on Herceptin as NOW on Aromasin. I am told that is a big complaint. I have not been as active recently, either and have been enjoying good food and dessert a little too much. I think I just have felt rebellious and entitled to indulge.
Bev, I used WW in the past with very good results. May be heading there again soon myself!
Keep the faith