HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How many of us are taking some kind of medication for depression? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62525)

Dakini52 01-18-2015 07:52 PM

How many of us are taking some kind of medication for depression?

I just thought I would throw this into the mix because I believe it would be interesting to discuss. After I was diagnosed I began to have anxiety attacks and was prescribed a very low dose of Pristiq and the lowest does available of Wellbutrin. I have found that these two help keep me on an even keel and truly make a difference. I'm interested in seeing if others have used antidepressants
and if so, did you find them helpful?

IrvineFriend 01-19-2015 10:19 AM

Re: How many of us are taking some kind of medication for depression?

Yup, my oncologist prescribed because I was already so overloaded with doctor appointments and was working. Now see a psychiatrist who prescribes. I have Xanax on hand for those panic attacks as well. I don't plan to get off anything. I also take B12 and Folic Acid which are known to help with depression and I get out and exercise and try to eat healthy.

Best of luck to you!

Lucy 01-19-2015 01:49 PM

I'm reluctant to take pills unless it is absolutely necessary but a few years ago I had mono and was prescribed Pristiq to help with my energy level. All it did was mask the problem which I believe resulted in a relapse of the mono. This is an entirely different situation though and no one has discussed my taking any antidepressants . . . yet. Back when I had mono, I was also prescribed a drug that gave me B12 and folates (I'm told this drug is used for "depression"). I suspended taking it during chemo and started taking it daily once I got off chemo. A few weeks ago I had some blood work done and my B12 was at 3320 (normal high is ~950). I'm back off it for the time being.

Nurse4u2day 01-19-2015 02:15 PM

Although there where struggles with the cancer diagnoses over all mentally I did very well, but about 5 months ago I started having crippling joint pain . I became so depressed over this that I set up an appt with my primary doctor to get an anti depressant , I was given lexapro 10 mg ... The good news is after months of tolerating this pain it has slowly started to subside and knowing that it was going away I know longer felt the need for the anti depressant and never started it once it was prescribed. I guess just knowing I had it on hand helped and then as the pain gradually got better the depression lifted. In the end I was diagnosed with Arthragilia...Chemo induced...

thinkpositive 01-19-2015 05:45 PM

I don't take anything because I don't feel that I need anything at this point. If things should change I certainly would get help which I'm assuming would include meds. I exercise outdoors most days. I find this very helpful for both my mental and physical health.

europa 01-19-2015 06:26 PM

I was on an anxiety med during treatment and started seeing a therapist two weeks into treatment. I eventually learned some techniques to manage my anxiety and what I called boohoo moments. So I no longer take anything and see my therapist every two weeks. For me, it's i perceive to have a therapist to unload on and to help me manage my emotions.

suzan w 01-19-2015 06:39 PM

I take anti depressants, before my diagnosis...and after!!

Kkmom 01-19-2015 07:42 PM

Debbie,
I take 75 mg of Effexor XR and have been for the past 6 or 7 years. I have no plans to come off it. I have dealt with depression off and on my entire life and for me an anti-depressant is a godsend. When I went through chemo, radiation, losing my hair, - it was hard getting through the day. Taking a small pill for me made it manageable.

KaiM 01-19-2015 09:06 PM

I was having such bad anxiety attacks after diagnosis I would hardly sleep, and then after several rounds of chemo was experiencing intense hot flashes a dozen times a day. My doc put me on Paxil to help with all of this and I have been on it ever since. I think it definitely helps, but it doesn't make any of it go away completely. I still have anxiety and occasional hot flashes, but it is manageable now.

karina14 01-20-2015 12:21 PM

I take Effexor XR (recently upped to 75+37.5 mg) and was on 75 mg for more than one year. Probably the best thing for me that I did not ignore this, to relieve anxiety , which all of us have. One thing I noticed and was very positive after starting Effexor was that I slept better and my night sweating disappeared (I was changing my pyjama 2-3 times a night from sweat). I am still on a very low dose, between 150 -300 mg is a therapeutic dose and I still have a bit to get there. We all want to take less meds, but sometime, some meds will give us a better quality of life and will be better to take them...

lkc Gumby 01-21-2015 09:19 AM

This is an interesting thread. I never had issues before my BC dx. I was pretty much blindsided about the " advanced stage" and then being her2 (which 10 years ago) was not look at terribly favorable. and then of course during chemo I went directly into awful chemo pause. I requested Paxil and it helped me enormously with both anxiety and Hot Falshes. Interesing too, I did some research back then and found that those dx'ed with BC had a high rate of depression and or anxiety. Not sure if that is currently the case. Anyway, fairly recently Paxil was ok'ed by the FDA for the indication of Hot Flashes ( in lower doses). I am still on it and feeling great.

embur102 01-24-2015 12:30 PM

Like suzan w, I have been on anti-depressants before diagnosis, and after. I had a period of time in my life were I was suicidal....I now find it ironic that being diagnosed with a terminal illness has made me want to live. Funny, life is. ;)

caya 01-24-2015 04:46 PM

I had a terrible year in 2006 when I was diagnosed. My DH suffered a brain aneurysm in January 2006 (we were lucky, he had sentinel bleeds for a couple of weeks, and finally he was diagnosed before the "big burst" He had a coiling procedure, recuperated for 6 months before going back to work, and 9 years later, he is basically fine- we were lucky).
We have a shoe importing business, and I had to take over his work - traveling, seeing customers, attending trade shows, and still do my own work. When I look back on it, I don't know how I did it - the stress of doing it all, and worrying about him was beyond the pale.
I was diagnosed in Oct. 2006 - went in for a breast reduction and my plastic surgeon found my tumour - 3 months after a clean mammo and breast u/s. Needless to say, this was devastating for us, and our two girls, who were 16 and 19 at the time. By the time I finished chemo in May 2007, and started Herceptin in June 2007, then Tamoxifen in July 2007, my onc. sent me to a psychiatrist who specialized in BC women. He thought I would benefit from some kind of anti-depressant, so I went on Effexor XR 75 mg. It was a godsend - emotionally I felt better, and the added "side effect" was that it helped with hot flashes.
I stayed on that dosage for about 7 years, and just last year I went down to 37.5 mg. I am planning on weaning off it this spring. I take a B vitamin every day, and get a B12 shot about once every 6 weeks. (B12 deficiency runs in my family).
I could not have made this journey without it.

all the best
caya

rhondalea 01-24-2015 05:19 PM

I've only ever tried two antidepressants, and they didn't work for me.

In 1997, the endo wanted me to take Zoloft (SSRI) until she got my thyroid levels up to normal. It did nothing, so she switched me to Wellbutrin (NDRI). It seemed a bit more useful, but by that time, my TSH was down and my T4 was up, so it's hard to say that Wellbutrin was responsible.

Before that, my gynecologist tried me on Buspar for what he felt was PMS-induced anxiety. Big zilch there, with good reason. Buspar may well treat anxiety, but it does nothing for antithyroid antibodies. My anxiety was, in fact, Hashimoto's flares. The gynecologist knew I was hypothyroid, but at that time, no one had tested for antibodies.

And even before that, a quack give me a prescription for Xanax instead of the referral to a therapist that I'd asked him for. I was stuck in a very bad marriage, and Hashimoto's was raging undiagnosed. I had a paradoxical reaction, and after ten days, I spent a night in the hospital. The quack later diagnosed Hashimoto's as MS. I knew in my gut I didn't have MS, so I fired him.

I just don't do well on drugs that alter brain chemistry, including alcohol. Right now, the Qsymia is killing me. The phentermine component is good because it gets me off my butt and keeps me moving, but topiramate makes me weepy, emotionally reactive and completely wonks my mood.

jaykay 01-24-2015 05:27 PM

I started taking 5mg of Celexa daily when my husband died 8.5 years ago. I went to 5mg every other day for a while (or when I remembered!) and then boom - cancer again. So I still take the 5mg of Celexa daily and Ativan when I need it or have trouble sleeping. The Celexa seems to level me out even though it is such a small dosage.

sassy 01-24-2015 06:53 PM

I have taken low dose antidepressants off and on since 1994 when I have rough patches. First when my mom was dx with Alzheimer's. When my crisis passes, I go back off. So more off than on.

Most recently started taking Zoloft last fall when dealing with my femure fractures was getting super frustrating.

PinkGirl 01-24-2015 11:08 PM

I take celexa and have a stash of Ativan for break through craziness.