HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Return visits with oncologist (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64668)

Colleen 03-13-2016 12:41 PM

Return visits with oncologist

My oncologist recently changed her return visit policy from doing an exam with her on your infusion day to infusion day one week and return visit the previous week. As the office staff sent me the schedule for the next few months I noticed two return visits on non-infusion days exactly a week prior to my infusion. The explanation is that the office is too busy to effectively manage the patient load to do both on the same day. I am in this office 18 times per year, add diagnostic tests, and other dr. appointments an average year involves 30 medical appointments, and that's a good year as a stage IV BC patient. This new policy would add a minimum of 6 more appointments per year and put me in her office basically every two weeks on average! When I am in the infusion area at best there are 3 patients sometimes only two! What is the policy at your oncologist's office? I am very frustrated by this as I try hard to NOT live the life of a metastatic cancer patient. Every visit to her office puts my blood pressure at "stroke" level, but every other dr. appointment I am normal.

waterdreamer 03-13-2016 10:20 PM

Re: Return visits with oncologist

Where are you located? I try to keep my doctors visits to a minimum. SO unless I am having issues or on a new treatment that needs to be monitored, I am happy seeing them every 3 months. But that is me. I also have no qualms about switching oncologists, if I feel they are no longer suited to me, or that their philosophies are in my best interests. I am the patient, I need to be a part of the team, and I put myself first.

Colleen 03-14-2016 05:01 AM

@waterdreamer I am located in Dana point, ca or south Orange County. I do think it's time to look at different oncologists. Between the new scheduling policies and feeling like my best interest is not top priority it may be time to move on. I have met with one other oncologist and I feel this vibe of discord between him my oncologist, like it would he took one of her queen in a chess game; not a good vibe, so next!?!

DianaMK 03-14-2016 11:28 AM

That's crazy! Every 3 months the first 2 years and then every 6 months.

jaykay 03-14-2016 11:50 AM

Colleen,

Are you still receiving treatment? It wasn't clear since you mentioned infusion, etc. If you are there for infusions, then I don't see why you need to come back the next week for a follow up. They should be able to do both at the time time.

Diane is correct - after treatment, every 3 months for 2 years then every 6 months. I am gradually working my way up to 6 months since I've had breast cancer twice. It's my preference, not the doc's.

Best
Janis

Colleen 03-14-2016 12:04 PM

@jaykay I am still in treatment. Stage IV you never not in treatment, this is for eternity from what I have been told so ya 18 visits per year is more than enough for me.

tricia keegan 03-14-2016 01:29 PM

Colleen I don't think it's unreasonable of you to expect to see your Onc and have the infusion the same day and think I'd take this up with her and explain why this regime doesn't suit you, maybe they'll make an exception in your case.

Colleen 03-14-2016 01:43 PM

Tricia I have taken it up with her and basically what I got was, "we will do our best to schedule both on the same day, but if others in the infusion area realize we are doing this for you they will expect the same." I just dont get how the schedule could be so difficult. I told her I was happy for her that her practice is growing but sad for the cancer patients that they have to live the "cancer patient" hell. So, currently I have my next two return visits scheduled on infusion days. We will see what the future holds. I also told her any return visits scheduled on a non-infusion day will be canceled by me, just not buying into this.

tricia keegan 03-18-2016 09:04 AM

I'd have done the same Colleen and it's unreasonable of her to expect her patients to fall in with her regime and in your case I hope she makes an exception or otherwise I think I'd be looking for a new Onc.