HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Karen has moved on (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64266)

Andrea Barnett Budin 12-13-2015 09:03 AM

Karen has moved on

It is with deep sadness and a great sense of loss that I must tell you that Karen (KDR) has died. She went last night. On 12/12. Fighting till the end. I cannot imagine this world without my dear friend, but we must all move on, as she has said to me.

Her thirst for expanding her knowledge, investigating all leads, constantly contacting dozens of experts across the country, reading and edifying herself, chasing down and picking the brains of those who know was her tireless task for years.

All while she spent tireless, quality time with her young daughter, making memories, encouraging her to explore and hone her singing abilities, will remain with her darling Yasmin. When Karen would share with me and quote her words, at times regarding Karen's situation and need to constantly rethink and make decisions and alter her course (when it treatments were failing) were so incredibly insightful for such a young Soul, I was often left stunned by her remarkable grasp of matters at such an early age.

I know Karen's story is not over. That she continues on, with her Spirit and lessons learned, experiences ever informing her, as she goes on to evolve and become the best of who she is and was meant to be.

I adore her, admire her, am forever impacted by our relationship which I treasure. She encouraged and inspired many on this board, always out of love, always with passionate skills of advocacy from her heart. We will meet again. Yet, I miss her already.

I am grateful for having her in my life. She will forever remain with me.

With love,
Andi

caya 12-13-2015 11:11 AM

Re: Karen has moved on

So sorry to hear of Karen's passing. She was such an inspiration to us here on the board, and of course to her loving family.
Truly a warrior woman.

all the best
caya

forher 12-13-2015 12:23 PM

Thank you for the update although I hate reading the words. Such a loss. Heartfelt condolences to Karen's family.

jaykay 12-13-2015 12:42 PM

So sorry to hear this news. Nothing more to say...
Janis

MaineRottweilers 12-13-2015 01:33 PM

Terrible, terrible news. I felt so sure she would rebound. I am saddened by her loss and I grieve for the pain and emptiness he family and close friends must surely feel. I know she will leave behind a very empty spot on these boards, she always had something to offer.

Rest in peace, Karen. You were, strong, brave and most of all, you were loved.

europa 12-13-2015 01:46 PM

I am so sad. I cannot even put into words how devastatingly sad Karen's passing is. She was such an intregral part of my journey and I owe her so much. RIP dear Karen.

StephN 12-13-2015 02:22 PM

Brave Andi to come here with this news of Karen's passing (moving on). Our KDR had more fight in her than just about anyone I ever knew. She was so smart, and methodical in her quest for new and hopefully more successful treatments. When she announced NED a while back, I jumped for joy, praying that she could maintain that status so she could put her energy into raising her daughter for many years to come.

Karen gave us all so much. From her shocking/harrowing story of escaping the World Trade Center attacks, to her loving posts here. I know you will RIP knowing you gave your survival the best shot possible.

donocco 12-13-2015 03:08 PM

Andrea

Im very sorry for your loss. I sometimes post as a pharmacist but mostly I read the posts. After a while you recognize the people. I didnt know her personally but Karen was knowledgeable and always there to support others. She did this for years. Sorry for the loss

Paul

DianaMK 12-13-2015 03:22 PM

So sad. Karen was an inspiration. Gone too soon.

Dakini52 12-13-2015 06:42 PM

I feel so sad. I always enjoyed reading her posts and feeling her spirit as she fought her battle. She will be missed by many.

carlatte7 12-13-2015 08:17 PM

I'm so very sorry to hear this. Nothing else to say. Prayers going up for her family and those who knew her well.

annettchen 12-13-2015 10:21 PM

This is too sad. RIP Karen. I feel so bad for her family and friends. It is painful.

Annette

Pamelamary 12-13-2015 10:35 PM

Very sad news - Karen has been an inspiration on this site since I first joined. So many of the dearest women have died since; it is sometimes difficult to check in, but the value of such support, knowledge and understanding remains paramount.
Condolences to you, Andi, and all Karen's family and friends..... Pam

agness 12-13-2015 11:41 PM

What a huge loss. I'm very sorry Andrea.

Here is a link to her recent posts/comments and you can see that she was all heart and love

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...archid=1921134

michka 12-14-2015 03:58 AM

Karen went through the 9/11 tragedy, she went through multiple chemos, she pulled through a disastrous operation and she never complained. Always fighting, always searching, always sharing her knowledge to help others. She loved her daughter and family. I am devastated. She would not like my tears but I can't help it. Even these last weeks she told me not to worry. My thoughts go to her daughter and husband. I will keep her in my heart forever.

jra40 12-14-2015 06:21 AM

The sorrow is too great, Karen was such a big part of this board and our lives. She was one of the first to reach out to me when I joined. She will be forever missed and never forgotten.

Carol Ann 12-14-2015 09:16 AM

I have been dreading this news. Karen was an Old Soul who did everything she could to learn, to stay positive, and to fight this disease with everything she could. And she was always here for everyone on this forum.

There are no words. We must never forget.

I will honor her to continue to advocate for research over pink awareness. She never stopped believing that there is a cure and it will be found.

So many tears. That a woman should survive the Twin Tower collapse and then die of this wretched disease.

Carol Ann

waterdreamer 12-14-2015 02:15 PM

Karen, my friend, I miss you. It is so hard to believe that your fight is over. I thought we would be in this for a long time together. We will find a cure and we will change the prognosis of this horrible disease. Rest in peace. With love Fern

Lucy 12-14-2015 07:13 PM

It saddens me to learn of this. I didn't know Karen on a personal level but her unending optimism and support of others on this board is undeniable. She will be missed.

Catherine 12-15-2015 08:30 AM

So sad to learn that Karen has moved on. She fought so hard and she was such a support to all of our community. It just does just not seem fair. I wish to send love and support to her family.
Hugs, Catherine

tricia keegan 12-15-2015 09:18 AM

So very sad to read this, we'll miss you Karen. xx

Lien 12-15-2015 03:10 PM

Thank you for letting us know. It's hard to grasp that she's gone. She was so very much alive. Hugs to all who loved her, laughed with her, felt her warmth, enjoyed her intelligence and shared a part of her life with her. She will be missed.

Love

Jacqueline

lkc Gumby 12-15-2015 05:59 PM

Thanks for letting us know Andi. I am saddened to hear this. I admired Karen greatly. This is the second loss of a dear cyber sister in only a few days... So sorry for the loved ones left behind

Emy 12-15-2015 08:16 PM

Miss Karen so much..she fought so hard..
Eileen

Laurel 12-16-2015 04:37 PM

Oh my goodness! I have not checked in for a week or so and have just read this sad, sad news! Karen was such a valiant warrior battling her foe with courage, aplomb, humor and grace. I admired her greatly. I will miss her wise posts. The world was a better place with Karen in it.

Coux92 12-17-2015 12:45 PM

I have not visited in a while....Thought of Karen today and logged on and see this. She inspired me with her strength and knowledge. I'm so sad.

suzan w 12-17-2015 04:54 PM

So sad to hear this. Karen overcame so many obstacles...this just isn't fair.

Aussie Girl 12-18-2015 03:47 AM

Karen was amazing. She was a real fighter and encouraged us to be fighters too.
Rest in Peace, KDR.

Diane

IrvineFriend 12-18-2015 11:02 PM

Karen was a real fighter, but also was there for others who were fighting. This is such a loss and I'm saddened for all of us and her friends/ family.
-Julie

janieR 12-19-2015 02:06 PM

I am so devestated to hear this. Obviously never met Karen as I live in England but she inspired me so much through this site. As others have said, it is not fair. Rest in peace Karen and am thinking of your family at this very sad time

Mtngrl 12-19-2015 07:03 PM

Andi, thank you for letting us know. I am sorrowful and downhearted at this news.

Yorkiegirl 12-19-2015 07:48 PM

Oh no, so very sad to read about Karen's passing.

jacqueline1102 12-20-2015 04:22 PM

Thank you, Andi, for letting us know. I am so very sad. She just seemed to make the world better. No words really.

Jackie

phil 12-30-2015 06:42 PM

Karen and I connected here soon after I joined . She thought like we did, fought like we did. She had a good but too brief run with t dm-1 right after Lorraine got it . Her triple pos. cancer blunted t dm-1's effect , but she was super - tough . Nothing stopped her . She went on to chase down treatments but most importantly , Live Life for extra years with her daughter , husband and family throughout. A Strong Believer , I know she is in Heaven - no more Pain. Our hearts are heavy tonight.

Lisalou 01-04-2016 08:17 AM

Very saddened by this news and keeping her family in my thoughts. Something about the "I dream of Jeanie" avatar that grabbed me right away when I joined. Fought until the end, hopefully at peace now

norkdo 05-28-2016 04:15 PM

KDR passed on? It doesn't seem possible. She was very important to this site for me. I'm so sorry.

Jackie07 05-30-2016 11:47 AM

The List showed '0' entries, but her postings/threads are still searchable. Below is a 'Thank you' thread she'd posted about a year ago:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63051

We sure miss her...

Andrea Barnett Budin 05-30-2016 12:49 PM

I think of her every day. It was 12/12 that she passed.

I prayed so hard. As did many.

Karen was doing great but had active cancer. She declined a stronger chemo (that would cause her to lose her hair, which was her pride and joy). She would tell me, I know it's vain, but I just can't.

She went into the immunotherapy trial in Pennsylvania among the first to do with active cancer. Her body was overwhelmed with the chemo she was on and the tumor burden and the immunotherapy. Her lungs filled w fluid. It was difficult to breathe. A woman who for 5 yrs just kept on going like the energizer bunny was on oxygen, eventually had to have drains put in. Was taking morphine. Napping. Her contact w me became 1 sentence missives. On so many pain meds, her personality changed. She had more drains put in as she couldn't get enough air.

She did it her way. We each have to make those potentially shattering decisions for ourselves. It's a very personal thing. No one wanted to live more than she. For her young dghtr. To live!

Karen's passing was and is among the great losses in my life. I love her so. Still. And forever...

v-ness 06-07-2016 11:38 AM

this news is a punch in the stomach. i actually returned here today to ask her advice about something because last summer we had PM'd each other after my boyfriend was diagnosed stage 4. she was so kind and wise and caring and generous with her knowledge. i couldn't believe all that she'd been through and i am so sorry that she is gone. she went on her own terms, i guess, which is not surprising. i am so sorry, andi, that you lost a dear friend. i felt like she was my only friend here. tears for karen. - valerie

Andrea Barnett Budin 06-07-2016 12:12 PM

You're very thoughtful, Valerie. Karen has spoken of you to me. Her loss to us all is great and I will never ever forget her.

She was in her 6th yr of fighting and it was hard. I know everyone here understands what hard is. There is just nothing like it. All these yrs after being on chemo, I still suffer from of the nasty side effects and vividly recall in amazement how I got through it.

We do what we must. I saw it as a process. I would struggle through it somehow, sometimes literally one hour at a time, then I got back to one day at a time. I saw myself far, far into the future.

I imagined myself at my 1 yr old granddaughter's Bat Mitzvah (which occurs at age 13). I would be there! I vowed it and envisioned it in detail. I was standing at a round table surrounded by family and friends. I looked radiant. Aglow. Music was playing and we were all clapping, waiting for the Bat Mitzvah girl to come on to the dance floor. Make her entrance. I felt such love and pride and joy!

Well, I lived to see that day!! I lived my dream. Now I have new dreams. That granddaughter is now finishing her 1st yr in college. She is 19.

I was 50 at orig dx. I am now 71.

I wish success to all my Sisters.

Valerie, I am here for you! Absolutely. Any time. My email is within my info. Please feel free to email me any time. We can chat.

Put HER2 SISTER in the subject line so I will not delete the email. I will respond. It is my honor to help in any way I can.

That goes for anyone on this board. I am here for you. I want to be. It brings me a sense of worth, using all the knowledge I've accrued through this thing called cancer.

Put my name in the search and see my articles through the yrs. I bet some will be helpful, inspirational, maybe even interesting.

I do send love to you all. You are always in my thoughts. In past yrs, when Joe was our webmaster, there were times the site would go down. As a regular, one who checked in at least once a day, every day, I would be aghast. I had no access to my support group !!!!!!!!!!

Then finally, the site would get back on line and so many others were out there, hanging on, waiting just like me.

We're here to support one another. I most definitely am! Any time!

XOXOXO, Andi