HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Xeloda and Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63197)

Saygoon 05-21-2015 03:40 PM

Xeloda and Tykerb

Would like for anyone who has experience to chime in and give me your opinion on these two drugs. My Onc wants to start me on them next week and value everyone's opinion.

Becky 05-21-2015 03:45 PM

Re: Xeloda and Tykerb

No drug advice but both are small molecles and can penetrate the blood/brain barrier and the cns in general. This might help you out.

Saygoon 05-21-2015 03:57 PM

Side effects? I guess that should have been my original question. Man I am sooo goofy lately. LOL!!

forher 05-22-2015 10:08 AM

My onc said that there were side effects with Tykerb, such as hand and foot syndrome. I may need to take this drug if things progress, but I have opted to hold off on it for now. Perhaps you can take some proactive measures to take care of cracked skin before it starts. I hear it can be bothersome. I don't know anything about the combo of Tykerb and xeloda.

Becky 05-22-2015 12:54 PM

Its the Xeloda that gives the hand/foot skin issues. Tykerb can cause a flushing or rash on the face. Primarily the cheeks and fore head. That can improve over time. Tykerb can also cause some diarehea issues.

Mtngrl 05-23-2015 08:43 AM

Both Tykerb and Xeloda can cause diarrhea. When I was on Tykerb the diarrhea diminished over time. Now that I'm on Xeloda I'm slowly figuring out how to manage it. I take one Imodium tablet at bedtime the days I'm taking Xeloda. Then if and/or when I have diarrhea (or I feel it coming on, with abdominal pain and rumbling) I take one Imodium. For me, one is usually enough. Imodium acts pretty fast.

I would say to stay on top of the diarrhea, and make sure you stay well hydrated. I also sometimes feel a little dizzy or nauseated after my morning dose of Xeloda. I take Compazine for that, and it takes care of it.

My hair was thinning quite a bit when I first started on Xeloda. It's not obvious to anyone but me, and the rate of loss has diminished.

They are both pretty "good chemo" drugs, both because the side effects are relatively mild and because they are in pill form. I sometimes forget to take it--especially the evening dose. I carry a little pill box around with me all the time with Imodium in it in case I need it. I've started putting three Xeloda tablets in it too, in case I'm out to dinner and belatedly remember I need to take my pills.

I haven't had the "hand and foot" syndrome that Xeloda can cause. There is a prescription lotion or cream that you can get for that.

I hope this information is helpful to you. I also hope the drugs will be helpful.

forher 05-26-2015 11:22 PM

Oops. Sorry for the mix up. Thanks for the correction, Becky. How are you, Saygoon?

GJeanette 05-28-2015 06:16 PM

I am on Tykerb/Xeloda. Xeloda for 14 days off for 7. Tykerb for 21 days off 7. Mtngrl I'm currently on my week off of Xeloda and the bloating cramping and Diarreha is worse this week. I take Tykerb of a morning. Do you know if it would help with gas and bloating if I take it at night when I go to bed? I was thinking about next cycle trying that. What has been your experience? Thanks

Mtngrl 05-28-2015 06:39 PM

Jeanette--

Yes, I took Tykerb at night. Then if there was going to be bloating, cramping & diarrhea it would happen in the morning while I was still near my own bathroom.

I don't wait to actually have a loose stool to take Imodium. When I notice that things are getting turbulent in my guts, I pop a pill. Often (though not always) that will head it off before it starts.

Ceesun 05-29-2015 08:27 AM

I was on both together with good results for @ 18 months. The hand-foot splitting of skin is caused by the two in combo. You can get an antibiotic to protect botttom of your feet. Needed immodium more for the tykerb, but after taking it...my bathroom needs were under control. Ha! Best to you, Cathy