HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Irene From Tampa (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43221)

IRENE FROM TAMPA 01-06-2010 02:34 PM

Irene From Tampa

Friends -
It's taken me a bit, but I wanted to let you know that Irene is not doing well. Perhaps some of you are already aware of her circumstance (I'm unsure when she posted last) but multiple mets and her resulting physical decline caused her to be admitted to the hospital.

These are very difficult times - as many of you are (unfortunately) far too aware of.

As I've been with Irene for over 20 years and I'm well aware of this forum. Its been a source of information, courage, strength, inspiration and yes, sadness.

It was for the latter point that I hesitated to make this post. You endure far too much uncertainty, challenge and grief for me to compile it. Life shouldnt be this trying.

With semi-specific mention of her circumstance (as I know the details will be understood within this forum) an October PET indicated she had multiple liver tumors. A brain MRI was also done which indicated brain mets for the first time in this 15year war. Cyberknife was ruled out and WBR was put off in favor of chemo. Just before Christmas week, a followup brain MRI indicated progression and mandated she undergo WBR as soon as possible - which was put off until after the holiday.

She took a downturn the day after Christmas - two days before WBR was to begin.

I've started a journal for her on Caring Bridge and I'll read any comments to Irene off there.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/irenefernandez

Please be well and accept my heartfelt - heartfelt - thanks for all you've done for Irene over the years. The care & support she's received here in no small measure has allowed her to get this far.

I have to run.

Love to all - John

Chelee 01-06-2010 03:40 PM

Re: Irene From Tampa

John, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about Irene. She's been such a long time Her2 sister we have all loved and cared about. She had PM'd me quite a while back and was thinking of going out to see Dr. Slamon. I knew she had alot going on but she has always been such a true inspriation and warrior here. I was hoping as always she would find that magic combo and whatever it took to beat back her mets. She was always a fighter and always came up swinging. She is such an amazing lady and I feel so blessed to know her. However I am truly saddened by this news. It just breaks my heart.

I just went to her carepage and when I read her words that she wasn't giving up...that sounds like our Irene.) It brought tears to my eyes, & coming from her does not surprise me. I pray her trt brings her the miracles she SO deserves. We will all be pulling for her to get well.

Please let Irene know how much she is missed & loved by all here. She has been so blessed to have such a wonderful husband and daughers by her side through all this. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Bless you both.

Chelee

Bill 01-06-2010 03:52 PM

John, you and Irene have our prayers. You guys hang in there.

WomanofSteel 01-06-2010 04:06 PM

John, sorry to hear about Irene. Tell her to stay strong and we are praying for her.

BonnieR 01-06-2010 05:06 PM

John, I know what a blessing you have been to Irene. Sending love and prayers. Keep the faith.

chrisy 01-06-2010 06:34 PM

John, thank you for sharing. I agree life shouldn't be so trying...yet we are family here through it all.

Much love and prayers to you and Irene.

Chris

tricia keegan 01-06-2010 06:43 PM

John I'm so sorry to hear this news and will keep both of you in my prayers and thoughts.

Lori R 01-07-2010 06:16 AM

John,
Thank you for having the courage to come to the site and let us know of Irene's poor condition.

Irene has been an inspiration and I pray that she receives the strength to continue the fight.

Please let Irene know that we are praying for her and miss her posts on the board.

Love...Lori

Yorkiegirl 01-07-2010 06:28 AM

John prayers going out for Irene and you as will.

RhondaH 01-07-2010 06:39 AM

John,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Irene.

schoolteacher 01-07-2010 06:47 AM

John,

Thanks for letting us know how Irene is doing. I had been wondering what was going on.

All of you will be in my prayers.

Amelia

MJo 01-07-2010 09:31 AM

THank you John for posting. Not knowing is worse than knowing, IMHO. I'm praying for Irene and hoping she can pull through this. SHe's done it before!

IRENE FROM TAMPA 01-07-2010 04:38 PM

Friends -
Heartfelt thanks for your thoughts & comments - expressed both here at the Caring Bridge website.
I added the below journal entry today - together with more select photos of Irene, myself and our entire group. There's no denying the severe challenges Irene's facing now and that lay ahead. As we've all found throughout the years, a sprinkling of denial can go a long way when consequences are dire and normalcy is sought. Unfortunately, denial isn't the strongest of warriors - as many of you already know.

You live by the heart. The heart defines you.
Be it brave, cold, courageous, fearful.....
Your intellect sculpts & shapes your hearts desires.

Together they make you whole.

When reality serves to break your heart.
When your heart's desires may no longer be attainable.
Hopefully, hopefully, your intellect can find you.
Hopefully, it pulls you from that darkness & gives solace.

To be honest, I'm not sure.

John

Another day...more treatment and more hope for good things.

Although lethargic the majority of the time, Irene did receive both radiation and physical therapy treatments. Only time, treatment, prayer and/or positive thinking will tell if she'll overcome these considerable obstacles. She's most certainly trying.

Visitors are welcome although her energy level is very low, she cant engage in extended conversation and you may find her condition disconcerting/upsetting. She hears and understands everything though - holding out her strongest commentary for when declaring to the room that I talk too much!

As is her way, this never fails to bring cheer to everyone, but unfortunately causes me to talk more. I never did listen...you can ask her yourself, I'm sure she'll agree.

Positive results cant be measured in daily increments.
Small miracles dont happen everyday and sometimes they're difficult to discern - so I may not post daily - but your Guestbook comments are both emotional and inspirational to all. Thanks.

I've updated the photo area with more pictures of Irene in far better times.

Be well - John

Midwest Alice 01-07-2010 04:54 PM

Dear John and Irene I am praying for you. Sending hugs, Alice

Sheila 01-07-2010 07:31 PM

John
Please repeat Irene's quote to her everyday!!!

I want to be an outrageous old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to get sharp edged and earth colored, till I fade away from pure joy. It is her mantra, her spirit.

Please give her a hug and tell her she is in my prayers each day.

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/ima...er_offline.gif http://her2support.org/vbulletin/ima...ons/report.gif "I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/ima...er_offline.gif http://her2support.org/vbulletin/ima...ons/report.gif

Patb 01-07-2010 07:39 PM

My prayers are coming daily to Irene and thanks so
much for keeping us posted. We care and it hurts to
hear such things but we must know to send our prayers
and let our sister know how we feel. My thoughts headed north from Naples FL.
patb

lexigirl 01-07-2010 09:57 PM

Thoughts and prayers are going out to Irene right now. I hope she can feel them coming her way.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

michka 01-08-2010 12:35 AM

John, I am so sad to read that Irene is not doing well. I send you strength and hope. Michka

SoCalGal 01-08-2010 01:04 AM

John,
Thanks for your heartfelt words. Sending prayers to Irene, she's one tough warrior who gives so much to others.
Flori

Ruth 01-08-2010 08:16 AM

John:
Thank you so much for letting us know about Irene. She is much loved here and we will all be praying for her, you and her family. She is a lovely person and we cherished the time she spent with us sharing her life.
With tears & sadness ~ Ruth