HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mom fell and now in rehab (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48310)

StephN 01-05-2011 02:10 PM

Mom fell and now in rehab

Dear Friends -
I have not been able to spend very much time here lately, since my mother fell and broke her femur next to the hip.

She seems to be over the hump of getting through surgery, stabilized and moved to a skilled nursing facility in her town across the state.

Mom lives alone now, and has been doing fine till she stumbled on a piece of cardboard in her garage. Many precautions have been taken for her safety, but it just takes one dumb thing out of place to cause an accident.

Anyway, I think it is OK for me to breathe again! Fortunately I have a brother and some nephews in her town who buttoned up the house and visit her.

Other than that, things are fairly quiet since getting home from the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, which I will post on soon.

Best to everyone for a year of healing and living large.

tricia keegan 01-05-2011 02:23 PM

Re: Mom fell and now in rehab

Hi Steph,

I'm so sorry to hear of your Moms fall and wish her a very speedy recovery! x

Sandra in GA 01-05-2011 02:34 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your mother's accident. Those things happen in a blink of the eye. I am looking forward to the info you gathered at the convention. Thank you so much in advance.
Sandra

Joanna J 01-05-2011 02:46 PM

StephN,So sorry to hear about your mother,UGHH & to think a piece of cardboard? Isn't it true?we never know what the next thing in life will be,I hope that your mother heals nicely,and that the both of you, have a wonderful & Healthy Year,Joanna

Julie2 01-05-2011 02:51 PM

Steph,

Sorry to hear about your mom's fall. I wish her a very speedy recovery.

-Julie

Paty 01-05-2011 04:37 PM

Steph, my firend, I am so sorry to know that you have been through so much during the holidays. I hope your mom gets well soon and I will be praying, I am happy that she has that facility where she can go and that will also give you confidence to know that she will be doing ok. I will pray for you both. Sending you hugs and best wishes for your mom's prompt recovery.

Paty

Mary L 01-05-2011 05:01 PM

Steph, so sorry to hear about your Mom. I will be praying for her and sending best wishes. Mary L

KDR 01-05-2011 06:19 PM

Steph,
Healing thoughts to you both and Happy New Year!
Karen

ElaineM 01-05-2011 09:10 PM

I am sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she heals well and will be back in her own home soon.

chrisy 01-05-2011 09:33 PM

Steph, you sure are one strong lady to be carrying SO much for so many people. Hugs to you, my friend and I echo back to you your wishes for a year of healing and "living large". And taking time to breathe.

Take care
Chris

Catherine 01-05-2011 10:01 PM

Hi Steph,

Very sorry to hear about your mom's fall. Thinking of you and thinking of her. Aging can sure be difficult. I am sure your mother is grateful that you and your family can help her during this tough time. Let's all breath together and hope for a better tomorrow. Take time for yourself if you can.

Hugs,

StephN 01-05-2011 10:39 PM

Thanks girls! I'm feeling the "love."

Mom has to be off her feet for 3 months while that multiple break heals. That is if all is going as it should - keeping in mind she is 85 now.

They do have her up a lot and in a wheel chair. She puts weight on the unbroken side, and uses her arms.

Mom refers to the physical therapists as the "physical torturists." At least she has her sense of humor!

michka 01-06-2011 12:03 AM

Dear Steph, I am sorry to hear about your Mom. My mother is almost the same age and lives alone. I am always afraid she may trip and fall. I hope your Mom will recover well. Hugs. Michka

Jackie07 01-06-2011 03:29 AM

Steph,

With good physical therapy, your Mom should recover well.

My Father-in-law has had two hip replacement surgeries the past 3 years and just cracked a hair line on his tailbone from a fall last month. He's recovered and been driving by himself for a week now. He's 87 and still drinks coffee twice a day (which makes his bone more 'brittle'.)

Make sure she uses the prescribed 'aide' such as a walker or a cane when she's off the wheelchair so there won't be too much pressure on her hips.

Be careful when taking her pain medicine. She needs to drink a lot of water/juice as those pills often cause constipation when taken by the elderly.

Trish 01-06-2011 04:17 AM

I do hope your Mom's recovery goes smoothly and her sense of humour survives the "physical torture".
Trish

Sheila 01-06-2011 07:13 AM

Steph, Keeping your Mom in my thoughts and prayers that she will return home fully recovered and healthy...it must be har being so far away...glad you have other family close to her!

ammebarb 01-06-2011 08:09 AM

Stephanie, so sorry to hear of your mom's fall. Hoping that she is healing well and is soon able to become mobile again. Also wishing you peace of mind about her care and good hope for her recovery.

Barb A.

Jean 01-06-2011 11:40 PM

Hi Steph,
Glad that your Mother is healing !!
Frightful time for you and the family.
Sending healing wishes your way for your Mom.

Kind Regards,
Jean

Pam P 01-07-2011 04:32 AM

Steph - I hope your mom's recovery goes well and she'll continue to gain strength and healing. Having just gone through a similar surgery to stabilize my femur I can relate to what she's feeling. In rehab we referred to PT as pain and torture - same concept as your mom. Actually I thought the pt I got really has helped me get back on my feet faster. Of course your mom's multiple fracture is much worse than what I had and will require much more healing time. I'm glad she's in a good place for that and that you have siblings near by who can see her regularly. I'm sure you wish you lived closer. Pam

krisvell 01-07-2011 04:57 AM

Steph;
Sending good wishes that your mom heals and can return to her home real soon. I hope 2011 brings you and your family a happy, healthy New Year.
Kris...