HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My sister had Bilateral/Gemzar kicks my butt (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50923)

Sheila 07-30-2011 07:01 AM

My sister had Bilateral/Gemzar kicks my butt

Quick update...my sister had bilateral mastectomy 1 week ago. Lucky she opted for this, as they found a IDC on the other side that did not show on the mammo, the breast MRI, or the ultrasound. They also found a second IDC on the left affected side, where the papillary BC was found. They did bilateral sentinal nodes and all nodes taken 7 & 5 were negative....she will find out her course of treatment when she meets with the onc. on the 10th....she is Triple Neg. by IHC and Fish. She spent a few days with me after her surgery, which took 6 hours on the table as she had tissue expanders placed. She also required 2 units of blood. She came home with 4 JP drains, hoping to get 3 out when she sees the Plastic Surgeon Monday.

As for me, the Gemzar is not only doing a number on my nodes, but also on my other blood cells...I was unable to get my 3rd treatment this week as my white blood cells, my hemoglobin, my neutrophils, my platelets etc were all too low.....1st time ever on everything but the whites! If not improved, I will be getting a transfusion to boost my hemoglobin....so I am in a holding pattern, hoping my CBC shows a miraculous recovery. I am very happy that the nodes are shrinking after just 2 treatments....I also got the Decadron discontinued, and am working on getting the Zofran IV stopped if possible....

hutchibk 07-30-2011 07:34 AM

Re: My sister had Bilateral/Gemzar kicks my butt

Wow. That is a power-packed update my friend. Blessings to you and your sis. Tell that Gemzar (if indeed that is her real name) that if she doesn't stop harassing you so much (other than the good work she does on the misbehaving nodes) that I will come up there and kick her butt...

Pam P 07-30-2011 07:54 AM

Sheila - Thanks for the update on your sister. And on you - wondering how you're doing with the chemo switch. Gemzar was hard on my platelets I recall. I wasn't on it too long. Glad to know it seems to be working well for you by the assessment of your nodes. Good healing to your sis and to you. Pam

ElaineM 07-30-2011 10:37 AM

All the best to you and your sister. I hope she heals well and I hope the Gemzar kills the remaining cancer in your body. Eat healthy food to get those blood counts up, so you can keep on track with your treatments and avoid a transfusion. Take good care of yourselves.

StephN 07-30-2011 11:05 AM

I guess your sis made the right decision. Cancer popping out all over her breasts ...

And I just know you will bounce back with some good nutrition, maybe some iron supplement or shot?

One of my sisters had a scare this week. Large lump suddenly appeared, but the ultrasound says it is a fluid-filled cyst. She will also have MRI's for both breast soon. So, I know how the pit of your stomach gets into the act on such news!

I know you were a comfort to your sister in her pre- and post-surgery.

snolan 07-30-2011 11:36 AM

Glad to hear your sis is doing well. I had a similar experience went in for bilat mast with a dx of DCIS only, found the HER 2 after. Hard to take the news twice that you have cancer. Wishing you and your sister good luck.

tricia keegan 07-30-2011 11:42 AM

Glad your sis made a wise choice Sheila and hope she can get rid of those drains soon, thinking of you too and sending good wishes:)

ammebarb 07-31-2011 07:10 AM

Good morning, Sheila. I've been thinking of you and your sis and hoping you'd post to give an update. I'm glad your sis's surgery is over and that she made a good decision about it. Hope her healing is good and she soon has a treatment plan.....

Hoping your blood cells bounce back, so you can continue on a therapy that seems to be doing it's job on the nodes. I imagine a blood transfusion would allow you to feel better. Sure hope so!

Barb A.

Lori R 07-31-2011 08:14 AM

Sheila,
Thank you for keeping us posted on the recent events with your sister and your treatment. I am sure your knowledge and experience contributed to your sister's very wise decision. Isn't it wonderful to be able to support your sister during this challenging time? Rejoice in life's little pleasures....helping others.

So glad to hear the Gemzar is knocking out those nodes. While maybe a little unnerving, is it possible to take enough Gemzar to beat them back and then take time off for your body to rest and then do another round of Gemzar?

So glad to hear the Gemzar is working for you. Take care warrior woman!!

Becky 07-31-2011 08:32 AM

Dear Sheila

I am keeping your sister and you in my prayers. I wish the Gemzar wasn't also kicking your counts down but perhaps some blood boosting shots might help for the whites and the reds.

I am always thinking about you dear friend.

mmoons 07-31-2011 08:59 AM

Sheila-

Thank you for the update on your sis and yourself. You are ALWAYS in my thoughts and prayers.

You are such a loving, giving, caring person to all of us. I hope you feel the love coming back your way.

Stay strong, sweet friend.

Maureen

sassy 07-31-2011 11:07 AM

Sheila,

Glad your sister was led to the right decision!

Hope things "look up" and you can continue the Gemzar busting those nodes.

Emelie B 07-31-2011 11:22 AM

Oh my, what an update. So glad yoursister has the same courage and smarts that you possess. I hope all goes well with her recovery and she continues to get her strength back, and her treatments are easy on her.
Wow, Gemzar is the drug for you! So sorry it is also so very hard on your counts. Maybe like Lori said, you can get things in good shape and take a much deserved break.
You are always in my thoughts and prayers and I want to thank you for all your kindness and positive thoughts you send our way.
Be kind to yourself, be good to yourself and please keep us posted on your continued progress.
Emelie

michka 08-01-2011 10:52 PM

Sheila, I hope your sister is recovering well. She really was smart and courageous. As her sister is!
I hope you will find the right way to balance Gemzar and see those stubborn nodes disappear. Hugs. Michka

Jackie07 08-02-2011 01:16 AM

Sheila,

Thanks for the update. We'll continue to pray for both of you.

caya 08-02-2011 01:43 PM

Hi Sheila,

You and your sister are both such courageous warrior women. I hope those pesky nodes melt PRONTO!!

all the best
caya

Laurel 08-02-2011 05:33 PM

Hey there, Kiddo, so glad you touched base with us. I was really wondering how things were going for you since the end of your Haleven run. Sounds like that Gemzar #%$& is wicked! Of course I'd best not speak too terribly about it since it is kicking those nodes back down to size! Really hope this gives you a long run and some time on the NED sideline. Wishing the same for our gal, Pam, too.

Your sister made the wise decision in light of what the path report showed. I am guessing since she is triple neg she will have to face chemo?

Keeping you in my prayers! You know I love ya.

Mary Jo 08-02-2011 06:41 PM

Hi Sheila...Just checking in and wondering how your sister is doing and how you are doing. Praying all is well for you both.

Love and hugs....

Mary Jo

Trish 08-03-2011 12:48 AM

Glad our sister is doing well and your nodes aren't. May your blood cells regroup speedily so you can have more of the node busting Gemzar.
Trish

Kavy 08-06-2011 03:14 AM

Hi, Sheila,
I'm glad to hear that your sister made the right choice about the double mastectomy, and that Gemzar is working for you, great news.
I had Gemzar for 9 months, and sometimes I had to skip treatment because my counts were low, but I never needed a transfusion, and I hope you won't need it either.
Just want to let you know that after some months on Gemzar, I had swelling on my legs and feet and I had to take lasix. It is common with Gemzar.
I hope and pray that Gemzar will be your magic drug, and that your sister will heal fast.
Hugs,
KarlaV.