HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Cancer News (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   FDA reports possible association between breast implants, ALCL (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48581)

News 01-29-2011 01:54 AM

FDA reports possible association between breast implants, ALCL

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reported on January 26 that "a possible association between saline and silicone gel-filled breast implants and anaplastic large cell lymphoma, a very rare type of cancer. Data reviewed by the FDA suggests that patients with breast implants may have a very small, but significant risk, of ALCL in the scar capsule adjacent to the implant.

More...

Bobbertok2 05-14-2011 01:51 PM

Re: FDA reports possible association between breast implants, ALCL

I have been diagnosed with ALCL, breast implant related.
I am hoping to get input from anyone with the same diagnosis. What type of treatment have you tried? My condition has not spread to any other location in my body, but I am considering my options. My doctors are talking about chemotherapy or radiation. There is so little information available about this condition, we need to share our experiences.
Please reply.
Confused

Jackie07 05-14-2011 05:03 PM

Hi Bob (?)

I don't have the implant, nor experience in ALCL. But I've done some research on the link of breast cancer and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma because my 88-year-old Mother is a 13-year NHL survivor.

There is a cluster called HNPCC - Hereditary Non-polyposis Colon Cancer - which I suspect is the culprit of several cancer incidents in my family. Besides Mother's NHL, 2nd Brother is a 2-year colon cancer survivor, and I am both a 21-year brain tumor survivor and a 8-year (or 4-year, counting from the recurrence time) breast cancer survivor.

Since the number is so small (60, according to the article), I personally think it is possibly more related to genetic predisposition (such as the HNPCC connection) than anything else.

ps. ALCL = anaplastic large cell lymphoma

Unregistered 05-21-2011 07:27 PM

Jackie, you may be right about the genetic link. However, this breast implant related ALCL
Seems to be a different animal. From what I have read so far, it has not spread in any of the reported cases. I am in the position of having to decide whether to have treatment or not. It is a tough call. I certainly do not want to expose myself to any more toxins than absolutely necessary.
Bobbie

Unregistered 07-17-2012 06:32 AM

Hello, I was just diagnosed with Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma associated with breast implants on 7/11/12. I am having surgery to have the implants, and capsules removed on 7/24/12. On the 19th, I have an appointment at the cancer center. I'm not sure what other treatments will be necessary, I guess I will find out Thursday or maybe after my surgery. Please let me know what kind of treatments if any you had. I'm anxious, because I don't know what to expect. Thanks
Angie

Jackie07 07-17-2012 08:25 AM

Hi Angie,

Since the thread is a year old and Bobbie was not registered when she posted that message, I doubt she will be able to see your posting.

Below is a link to the Wikipedia entry of ALCL. You might need to check with some of the major cancer centers to see about getting connected with other patients with the same diagnosis. Sending you good vibes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaplas...-cell_lymphoma

norkdo 07-17-2012 09:11 AM

I wonder if the thirty thousand odd dollars that my plastic surgeon pays per year as insurance against malpractice covers this? I sure as heck will sue mine if I happen to be one of the ladies who gets this. I get reconstruction in about two months.