HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Finished - Now What? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58841)

starwishn2 08-15-2013 10:54 PM

Finished - Now What?

I had my last Herceptin treatment today! I've had a lot of mixed emotions floating around in my head. I am happy to finally be here - it's been a tough year. But now what? I feel at a loss - isn't that weird? This past year I have focused so much on cancer and chemo, side effects and doctor's visits that it feels a little out of sync now not to plan for much. I do have an appointment in 3 weeks with my doctor. Is that the norm? I'm not explaining myself very well. Has anyone else felt this way (a little vulnerable) when their treatment ended??

snolan 08-16-2013 07:26 AM

Re: Finished - Now What?

I felt the same way. You get use to all the appointments and attention, I was angry at first at how invassive this whole proceedure was to my life, then you get used to it, then its over. I didn't know what to do with all my extra time that was focused on appointments. I felt scared not to have that umbrella of doctors looking over me. It all settles in after a while and your somewhat normal life comes back. Staying busy with your work, hobbies etc. helps fill that void. Congrats on making it through.
Suzanne

JillaryJill 08-16-2013 08:55 AM

Congrats on getting through a year of hell ( I am not fond of the term journey, I consider it hell on earth, a journey to me is traveling to Europe or some great place!)
I had that exact same emotion. I felt protected while being treated...and then I felt "cut loose" The only advice I can give you is as time passes it gets easier and your busy life takes over again. A breast cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment is all consuming...and as time marches on I think about breast cancer less and less.

Becky 08-16-2013 12:18 PM

This is normal. I felt this way too and it was worse as Herceptin wasn't available to me and then it was. So about 6 weeks after radiation (and 8 rounds of chemo), I went back and got my year+ of Herceptin so I felt I lived there for 2 whole years and then - every 3 months. It is a vulnerable feeling but completely normal in the process. It will greatly improve with time - promise!

tricia keegan 08-16-2013 02:58 PM

Huge congrats and yes, its very normal to have these feelings at this time and I did too, its like once the physical treatments were finished my body then allowed my emotions to come to the surface so I then had to try to deal with them and find a way forward post cancer.

I think more studies are being done now on offering people emotional help through this as well as treating the body which I think is badly needed. It does get easier the longer out you are and you will gain confidence but its tough in the early days and looking back I think chemo was the easy part!

'lizbeth 08-16-2013 04:21 PM

I was in full Herceptin withdrawal mode . . . and was happy to qualify for a vaccine trial.

Receiving the trastuzumab infusions sure makes us Her2 3+s feel protected.

1rarebird 08-17-2013 05:25 PM

Star--Even this old geezer had the same lost feelings as you are experiencing after completing the year of combat with the cancer that invaded the body and took over life in such a dramatic way. It was no way to start enjoying retirement in my case. Anyway, I found that keeping abreast (no pun intended) with all the latest Her2 research under way and discussed so well by this support group helped me feel less lost and vulnerable. I now have been able to assemble plans for the future should the cancer come back. I hope you will continue to find solace here and that you never have to put into action further treatments as bad as what you've just completed. Whatever happens, I believe you will find whatever you need here at Her2Support. Best of luck to you--bird

Jackie07 08-17-2013 07:11 PM

Congratulations!

carlatte7 08-18-2013 05:45 AM

Congratulations!! Muddle through...it's what we do! I had my last herceptin in april, and dont work summers, so could focus on our garden, flower beds, etc. it becomes hard to see past the moment. Bless you as you continue on your healthy journey.

linn65 08-22-2013 07:56 AM

YAY, we are both done with HERCEPTIN!! I had mine 8/20, and I am thrilled its over!! My forearms have the usual rash, my hands are tingly/burning/feeling like an arthritis attack. BUT once it is out of my system to feel healthy again I just want to sit and cry about that!

I have my reconstruction surgery next week, August 28th, and I am not the least bit worried about the pain of surgery because I am done with treatment.

I never appreciated my health before and this year AS BEEN HELL ON EARTH! Now, I mean today, I am planning a trip with my sister and niece to Chicago to see a play, ride a Segway and walk Navy Pier!!! I cried it seem daily the first quarter, then maybe weekly and if I did really good bi-weekly. Now, I want to cry because I am DONE, and I can plan and do something fun!!

I don't want to live in fear, and I have twinges of it, but I cannot control my future. I am ready to live again and do things on the spur of the moment without this garbage....I know the stuff that saves lives (but I still don't like how it makes me feel).

Anyway, you and me Starwishin we made it!!!

NEDenise 08-22-2013 03:42 PM

Congratulations!

Coux92 08-23-2013 08:13 AM

Im not even near finished, but I can imagine that there would be an adjustment period as this disease/ treatment sure can be all encompassing! Try to enjoy your new found free time! Be well :-)