HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   calcium and Vit D supplements (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63805)

Donna H 09-23-2015 09:22 AM

calcium and Vit D supplements

I recently went to an endocrinologist - recommended by my med oncologist to see if there is a reason I have osteoporosis other than early menopause. I am only 51. Menopause happened in my early 40s. He wants me to take calcium and vitamin D supplements, even though my calcium and Vitamin D levels are normal. When I questioned him about that he just sort of looked at me as if to say "Why are you questioning me?" and never did provide an answer. So I thought I'd ask everyone on this site - does it make sense to take the supplements? This is the same doctor that said I had elevated calcium levels in my blood but then changed his mind after he adjusted the numbers for some half explained reason.

Lucy 09-23-2015 11:03 AM

Re: calcium and Vit D supplements

I've been taking vitamin D supplements for about 5-1/2 years now due to low levels. When I went on anastrozole I added calcium to the mix and as far as I know my levels were normal for calcium. I've stopped taking the anastrozole but I still take both the vitamin D (prescription strength) and calcium (that has added vitamin D included). It probably won't hurt you to take the supplements but it also wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. Personally I don't like doctors who have issues with me asking questions - I've been known to fire those "professionals".

Actually the more I think about it the more I think taking the supplements would be a good idea because they kind of work together and are more effective if you take both (at least that's my understanding anyway). You have osteoporosis already so I think you need something. I still would probably get a second opinion to get answers since the one doctor wants you follow orders without question.

Yorkiegirl 09-24-2015 08:25 AM

I take the supplements every day. I also have very severe osteoporosis and have to take medication for that and it is required that supplements be taken. I have had osteoporosis since my treatment 10 yrs ago. I was 49 at the time.

Juls 09-24-2015 10:19 AM

I started taking Vit D3 recently after reading an Oxford journal report on AI's. It suggested Vit D supplement worthwhile when on Femara.
Since then I have read various reports that our Vit D & calcium levels in general not high enough. There is also quite a difference between average and optimum range! So probably a good idea for all of us to take extra.
Just recently in Scotland, Health Board recommending extra!!

PS Lucy - your comment re professionals made me laugh - could do with you at some of the clinics here!!

tricia keegan 09-24-2015 10:53 AM

I was also told to take Vit D and calcium as they benefit each other by taking together. I had Osteopenia five years out taking Arimidex but have been getting a yearly iv of Zometa which has resolved it, just stopped Arimidex last summer after eight years.

Donna H 09-24-2015 01:57 PM

Hi Tricia-
Did you experience any side effects from the Zometa? This doctor wants me to get the Prolia shots but after the past many months of side effects I am not in a hurry to experience any new side effects or take any extra drugs. All I take now is Femara. I dont even take vitamins, except for biotin for nails and hair (which are still a mess, especially my nails.) I get a lot of calcium in my diet and I exercise very frequently. I hate not taking the advice of doctors but I just can't get on board with this.

tricia keegan 09-24-2015 02:43 PM

Hi Donna,

I tried Fosamax pills at first but hated those, I only had flu like symptoms for a day or two the first time I had Zometa but after that nothing really, I have a long trip there so only felt a little tired from that. I also am very active and have been for years and have a lot of calcium in my diet but I think at my age now (middle fifties) it makes sense to do what I can to help prevent Osteoporosis and hope this reassures you. My friend (stage iv) had a hip fracture and I remember how painful and debilitating it was for her so would prefer a few side effects to going through that.:)

P.S I just remembered another friend with Osteoporosis mentioned a drug called Optruma yesterday, I haven't had a chance to look it up yet but just thought I'd mention it.

Juls 09-24-2015 03:17 PM

Donna
Re nails -
I have found condition of nails to be better since taking Vit D3. They seem stronger and don't peel or split as much.
Also if you have (or had) cancer - some nutritionists suggest that Vit D should be in optimum range not just normal. Is this why Endo suggesting this? Think the normal range is about 40 and the optimum is 70-100 ng/ml. Like you I prefer not to take anything but think Vit D might just be worth taking. It's easy to take and no side effects.
One of the Ladies at my clinic refused further zometa but has upped Vit D3 and calcium - says she feels better!

SoCalGal 09-29-2015 09:37 PM

I take Vitamin D3 and D & K. Vitamin K2. Plus a long list more. The D's I take along with calcium. I also take a product called CuraPro which is a whammy dose of curcumin. I see an integrative onc at UCLA who prescribes a long list of vitamins and supplements for me. I hate taking them every day, divided doses, blah-blah and they cost a lot but seem to help in keeping me "healthy" (8+years stage4) I would be more specific on my list and dosing but everyone is different and it's better to be guided by a Dr, if possible...

agness 09-30-2015 12:58 PM

I recently came across an interesting mention of D3 supplementation in relation to parathyroid dysfunction. The patient, someone who suspected parathyroid illness and after finally having surgery to remove the problematic glands found that her uterine fibroids disappeared.

I've got a bucket of medical article links about the parathyroid, which is a calcium regulating group of glands, in relation to mammary gland development, pregnancy, lactation, oncogenesis and mets.

So, this woman suggested that taking more Vit D when your levels are low might not be best -- that low Vit D might be a protective mechanism to lower bone loss and blood calcium levels.

What is more crazy about the parathyroids and its associated hormones is that too much or too little aren't good, that calcium and Vit D levels up or down might be indicative of disease -- but also that some patients that looked like they had normal levels but mets had remission when their parathyroids were removed. So it seems like there it more here than meets the eye.

PS - low magnesium can affect parathyroid functioning too, and also without enough K2 your body won't even know where the calcium is supposed to go. Magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, K2, Vit D3 (plus other trace nutrients) all work in concert towards bone health.

KDR 09-30-2015 01:58 PM

As I understand it from my integrative doctor, cancer patients are better off with much higher numbers on Vitamin D, and there are many Vitamin Ds to look at. I speak of Vitamin D3.

Karen

agness 11-01-2015 07:55 AM

Evidently vitamin D absorption issues may persist and appear to be influenced by having gone through chemo. There are pubmed citations linked, I found more BC links at PubMed as well.

http://m.naturalnews.com/news/037663...eficiency.html

Pamelamary 11-01-2015 11:40 PM

I am happy with Vitamin D, but would prefer to have my calcium naturally, through my diet. Have heard there may be issues with Caltrates, relating to heart function.
Prolia (Denosumab) probably has fewer side effects than Zometa and is easier to administer; with the low dose given as Prolia, you probably don't need to worry too much about the nastier long term problems.
Best wishes.... Pam

Jackie07 05-30-2016 02:35 PM

There is another very long Vitamin D thread http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...vitamin+thread with lots, lots of information. But I saw this one while searching for KDR's old posts.

I was told to take Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement about a month ago when the test showed a 5% decrease in bone density.