HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Caregivers Corner (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Sister of newly diagnosed HER2. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60247)

cjjhero 02-10-2014 10:46 PM

Sister of newly diagnosed HER2.

My sister was newly diagnosed in December with HER2 positive, estrogen & progesterone negative breast cancer. She is still undergoing staging but the initial reports are right breast tumor with one lymph node involvement.

She just had an MRI done today and in 10 days a bone scan and CT scan will be done. She was given a few weeks off to enjoy Christmas. The main oncologist believes that treatment will consist of 6 to 8 rounds of chemotherapy and a lumpectomy.

The breast surgeon's nurse is thinking that this is a stage 2 cancer. We won't know conclusively the stage until all the testing is done.

My sister is adamant that she wants a double mastectomy because she doesn't want the risk of recurrence. Her main oncologist and breast surgeon oncologist want her to have a lumpectomy only with the lymph node(s) removed also.

The doctors want to start with the chemo first to shrink the tumor, then perform the breast surgery without radiation.

We lost our mother to complications from cervical cancer 25 years this month. My mother's cancer was almost in remission when she developed renal failure. The radiation they used back then basically fried her kidneys. Chemotherapy wasn't given as an option for her. I'm not sure if chemo was used very much at that time. It wasn't cancer that killed her it was the treatments that were meant to save her life.

My sister is mentally handicapped and has been doing pretty well despite the diagnosis. I believe that this has hit me more emotionally than either her or my other sister.

This is sad because there is no cancer history except for my mother in our family's history. My mother's cancer was believed to have started from HPV.

The stress of helping my sister to her doctor appointments and with weekly errands is causing stress with my own family. I am married to a wonderful understanding man. However, since my sisters don't have a car I am there only source for transportation. Other friends and family live back home in PA. We currently live near Cleveland OH.
I'm trying to maintain a home and help out but there might be a time when I can't.

What advise can anyone give to a caregiver of an HER2 patient? I have been down this road before and am hoping for a much brighter outcome.

Thanks so much for any advise.

Becky 02-11-2014 06:07 AM

Re: Sister of newly diagnosed HER2.

You are a wonderful and caring sister. However, please reach out for help. The American Cancer Society can provide help in the form of volunteers who can take your sister to some of her treatment appointments. You should go to the appointments where decisions are made since a patient usually needs a second set of ears and your sister certainly does if she is mentally handicapped. Of course the first chemo session you will go but at some point, the drug Herceptin will continue to be given for a year and those as well as chemo treatments (after the first one) could be done by a volunteer. Perhaps her cancer center also has a service similar to that of the American Cancer Society. Also reach out to your close friends. If any of them could pitch in a time or two or a good neighbor of yours or your family. Even if you could get half of these things taken care of that would be less of a burden for you.

And we are here for you to ask questions and vent. Don't be shy.

IrvineFriend 02-11-2014 06:05 PM

I second what Becky said. I was not driving when I was diagnosed and the number of appointments was staggering. I used American Cancer Society for rides. Even if a volunteer isn't available, they will pay the cab driver with a voucher for a certain number of rides. I got to know a volunteer who sent me emails of encouragement throughout my treatment. There is help out there.

IrvineFriend 02-11-2014 06:07 PM

I don't know how to do links, but in the search window, cut and paste this search and you will get a long list of resources to cancer patients started by Paula O.

Fun Free Opportunities/resources for Breast Cancer patients

Jackie07 02-14-2014 07:37 AM

Here's one of the threads by Paula:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...resource+Paula

【Click on 'Search', then type in 'Paula and resource' and choose 'Show Threads',then click on 'GO'】