HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bone Mets (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59889)

Saygoon 12-27-2013 08:02 PM

Bone Mets

When I was diagnosed in March of 2012 I showed 5 lesions on my spine. Right now everything is stable but....(here's the but) I still have a lot of pain and stiffness. I'm on Herceptin, Zometa and a hormone blocker. So is it the "spots" or the meds? Anyone have any suggestions, advice, words or wisdom for bone mets?
Also, I am having a bone scan and MRI Monday and hopefully it will come back with good news. Im praying for remission in my future

dearjilly 12-28-2013 09:01 AM

Re: Bone Mets

Hi Paula
I have no advice, just wanted to send some love and strength!

sassy 12-28-2013 09:54 AM

Hey Paula,

The stiffness could very well be a side effect of the AI, and possibly the Zometa also. You can do a search on the site for "AI side effects" or "joint stiffness" and probably find several thread that discuss this.

I was on one of the three AI's for a total of 8 years and experienced significant joint stiffness on each.

Hoping you get only good news next week!

tricia keegan 12-28-2013 06:39 PM

Paula I have the very same stiffness and joint pain and can tell you its from the Arimidex I've been taking for seven years now, hate it but better than a recurrance of course and wanted to wish you well for your scan! My Onc suggested Glucosamine/Chondroitin daily which does help a little but you need to be taking it about six weeks to notice a difference.

Coux92 12-28-2013 07:18 PM

Praying for a great outcome to Monday's scan Paula

Laurel 12-28-2013 09:39 PM

Hi Paula,

I am with Rhonda (Sassy) and Tricia on the stiffness and pain very likely being caused by your A.I. Good luck with your scan & MRI. Hoping for improvement!

I see you are from Hot Springs, SD. I have a very good friend living there. Know any Silversons or Pattersons from Hot Springs?

Laurel

Saygoon 12-29-2013 04:12 PM

Thanks for all the positive replies - needed a little boost today!
Laurel - the big city of Hot Springs only has 2500 people so more than likely I know your friend or we have met at one time or another. If not me everyone in town knows my husband since he is the pizza delivery guy LOL!!! Big Larry

Laurel 12-31-2013 08:10 AM

Paula,

Guess what? My friend is Suzanne Silverson and she says she knows you! Are you hearing a refrain of "It's a Small World After All"?

My husband wants to go to the hallowed ground of Lambeau Field in Green Bay to see a Packers game next season. I told him it must be EARLY in the season since I do not wish to freeze on the famous "frozen tundra" of Green Bay! The schedule comes out in April (or did he say May?) so we will know then when we will be heading West. The plan is to head out to Hot Springs to visit Suzanne after the game, so I just guess we will have to order some pizza! I'd love to meet up with when we are out there. I will keep you posted!

L.

suzan w 12-31-2013 10:04 AM

I love the small world story! I, too had terrible joint pain and stiffness while on arimidex. Still have a "frozen" thumb as a result...years later. Best of luck with your scan.

Adriana Mangus 12-31-2013 11:44 AM

Hi Paula,

Is it possible Zometa is causing the pain?. At the beginning of my treatment with Zometa I, too, developed a lot of pain all over my body, after 3-4 treatments the pain has gone away completely. Hope this helps.

Adriana

Saygoon 12-31-2013 08:05 PM

Ok lets try this again - first post didn't go thru. Scans show I am still stable!!! Yea I will take stable!
Its nice to know all of you are out there and understand scanxiety.
As far as the stiffness/aches they reduced my Zometa and it helped some. So AI wins the popular vote.
Laurel - WOW! would love to meet you in person. Anyone on this site that will be visiting the beautiful Black Hills let me know. Suzanne is great we met her several years ago - keep me posted

Mtngrl 01-12-2014 10:45 PM

Stable is good.

I actually like stable better than NED now. NED can be an unstable perch. I figure if my cancer stays the way it is, I can manage that. Not too bad.

I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Saygoon 01-14-2014 09:37 PM

Never thought about it that way - stable in some ways is better than NED. I think the Oncs keep a closer eye on stable so constantly being monitored can work to my advantage! Thanks Mtngrl for the insight.

KristinSchwick 01-20-2014 01:49 PM

I know I'm echoing all the previous posts but I wanted to be part of the fun. I have about a dozen bone mets and have been on a bunch of AIs and found they caused way more total body stiffness than any bone met I've met. In my experience bone mets cause very specific pain to the touch, it does hurt to move and doesn't get better with exercise. Stiffness caused by treatment causes waxing and waning pain, that can't be localized or hurts when you touch it. It gets better with exercise and local heat (hot pack). Bone met pain and AI pain are totally different beasts, each horrible in their own way.

Saygoon 01-20-2014 11:03 PM

Thanks Kristin - what you said makes a lot of sense. I do have both types of pain you described but now I have a baseline of which may be which!! Would love to hear from more ladies with bone mets - I need the info and the encouragement!