HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hutchi, you in politics now!? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44020)

Soccermom 03-02-2010 09:53 PM

Hutchi, you in politics now!?

I just received this update from the NYTimes....

"Hutchison Concedes Texas G.O.P. Primary for Governor to Perry
"

Is it true Brenda?

WOW...(just thought we could use a smile!)

hutchibk 03-02-2010 10:52 PM

Re: Hutchi, you in politics now!?

hahaha. She's K.B. Hutchison and I am B.K. Hutchison, pretty weird. She married into the name, I was born with it. I am all for her concession, she was in over her head...

Soccermom 03-03-2010 09:51 PM

Just wanted to see you laugh,sistah! I know 0 about Texas politicos~ (or any others for that matter)
M.

Jean 03-04-2010 09:29 AM

I think you would be perfect for Governor of New York!
They need you Hutchie.....

hugs,
jean

hutchibk 03-04-2010 11:55 AM

I would rather have breast cancer than be a politician...

WolverineFan 03-04-2010 12:23 PM

Brenda...great to hear from you, and to both of you...thanks for the laugh!

Jackie07 03-04-2010 01:11 PM

Brenda's statement is very true to most Texans.

When I first started working in the local public library in 1987 - just 2 1/2 years after I had arrived in this country - I was reminded by a long-time library user/volunteer that in Texas we do not tell others our political preference. "You can get into a big fight if you talk to the wrong person about whom you are going to vote for," he had warned me.

I later learned from my Father-in-law how stubborn/unreasonable/passionate Texans can be. Father-in-law is a well-educated (master's degree), well-experienced (retired high school principal) native Texan. But he identifies with his rural upbringing and is content with his small-town life style. He dislikes anyone who's acting like a 'big shot'.

His other daughter-in-law, in my view a very normal American/Texan whose habit/demeanor is that of the average American (Capitalist, materialist, yet at the same time a devoted church goer,) - had fallen from favor not too long after she had married my In-law's older son almost 30 years ago. The fact that she has raised two good daughters who have married hard-working men and brought up good great-grant children does not change Father-in-law's view on her.

The rural area used to be Lyndon Johnson's Democratic strong hold. Bill Clinton's scandal repelled everyone and when Bush was running for the presidency, everyone got excited because he's running on the 'God and Country' theme.

I have always been very opinionated on everything because my Mother used to be a city commissioner in Taiwan. But I've learned to keep 'quiet' whenever I'm accompanying my Father-in-law. He's 87 right now. Even when we went to the doctor's office last week, he wanted to assert his independence and did not want anyone to be with him when he saw the doctor (who's also our family doctor.) He would tell us later the conversation he had with the physician...

Bill 03-04-2010 02:26 PM

I just want to let everybody know that I'm sitting on my hands, but it's really, really hard right now.....(I can hear y'all, "Bill, you just hush up")

chrisy 03-04-2010 02:52 PM

Good job, Bill. I'm proud of ya.

I'm pretty conflicted by this thread. I mean, I'd rather Brenda not have breast cancer (of any of us for that matter).

On the other hand, if she was a politician, I'd sure vote for her even if it meant moving to Tejas. Although we could use her even more in California.

On the other hand, since she'd rather have bc than be a politician, even if she won on a write in campaign, she probably would refuse to serve, then the government would get nothing done.

On the other hand (is that 3 or 4 now???) maybe that might be a good thing.

On the other hand, I probably should take my cue from Bill and hush up so I don't get in trouble from Joe for discussing politics on the forum.

On the other hand, since I'm discussing the pros and cons of non-politicians not running for any office, maybe I'm ok.

Is it time to vote yet?

hutchibk 03-04-2010 05:02 PM

OK, upon rethinking it on the other hand, and realizing that I also have 6 hands like Chrisy, I would rather not have breast cancer at all. That said, I still wouldn't want to be a politician, even if I do have a good political name. But if I were, you better believe you would hear from me, on a regular basis. Except when I am hanging incognito at the lodge at the Winter Olympics drinking hot toddies wearing my red, white and blue wig.

WolverineFan 03-04-2010 07:33 PM

Too funny, and Brenda....I actually DO have a red, white and blue wig! My kids love it (but since my hair is finally growing back, I'm not wearing it)...but I would be drinking some Captain's and diet!!

Karen Wheel 03-05-2010 06:12 AM

I missed the back story on how you got to hang out in the lodge at the Olympics? I did laugh at a few of the other posts when people were talking about seeing you there.

:-) I was orginally from the NW - so spent many a weekends partying and skiing in Blackcomb and Whistler --- I had one great experience when my best friend and I took the afternoon off from skiing and checked into the Spa at Chateau Whistler --- and then after a great massage - we started drinking "Pops" Champagne ... think our bar bill ended up being 200 --- each! UGH! Sad but true -- as they came in the cutist tiny blue bottles - and each one was 20 Canadian --- ugh! How many did we drink - and how much food did we order? :-) Too many. But we had a great time ---

Toasting you if you are still there!
Karen
PS - if I lived in the US I would vote for you! hee hee!

hutchibk 03-05-2010 11:19 AM

Here you go Karen... the back story: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43816

Laurel 03-05-2010 06:51 PM

Knew that was you in the hottub, Hutch!

VirginiaGirl 03-06-2010 06:53 AM

"I would rather have breast cancer than be a politician..."

LOL! I think I agree with you!

hutchibk 03-06-2010 09:13 AM

It doesn't melt away your soul like "politician cancer" does... just sayin'.

Karen Wheel 03-13-2010 04:54 PM

Thank you for the back story - but I saw this thread - and sorry - it might be the chemo - or maybe it was the amount of Italian red wine I drank with the great dinner I had with friends tonight in Italy - but I'm still lost ---- hummmmm..... I'm not an airhead - so I must be able to blame this on --- CHEMO! :-) Thank you - I am thinking you really were working on the great looks of the men and women of the Olympics - to escape from helmet head!????

Thank you for indulging me! :-)

hutchibk 03-13-2010 10:00 PM

No prob Karen. I was a little 'silent'/out of pocket from the Her2 boards for several weeks and the very hilarious folks here started 'imagining and creating' what I was up to during that time... The Olympics story became the predominant storyline...(Actually, I had been out of the country on a trip before Christmas, then gone at Christmas, then in Miami for 3 weeks doing my annual work at the Superbowl... and then had houseguests for a couple of weeks).

Hope that helps.

StephN 03-13-2010 10:14 PM

OK, Brenda - we will let you off this time ...

Just so you weren't holding out on us! And maybe planning a campaign or something ... or resting up after that exhausting 2 weeks at Whistler/Vancouver and in between.

I can still hear those Canuks partying it up clear this side over the border. Now they have the Parolympics that started today. Party on, people.

Jean 03-14-2010 07:57 AM

Hee Hee - Brenda has fooled all of you...she has been
in a secret investigation committee on NY Gov. Paterson.

I get this from a strong source....she was seen leaving the capital building in Albany....of course she will deny this.

jean