HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Stage 3a her-2+ breast cancer is 85 % curable (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46620)

joletta 09-05-2010 06:22 AM

Stage 3a her-2+ breast cancer is 85 % curable

Hi everyone,
I was dx @ age 35 in March 2010 and am very nervous. My doctor continues to reasure me that after bilateral masctomy, chemo, radiation, and herception it decreaseses your reoccurence rate to 15% @stage 3a. I would love to hear from some girls in similiar cases to mine and hear what there doctors have said.

Jackie07 09-05-2010 09:52 AM

Re: Stage 3a her-2+ breast cancer is 85 % curable

Joletta,

If you use the 'Search' button on the top, you can locate past discussions about survival rate.

85 % 5-year survival rate means that five years after diagnosis, 85% of the patients are expected to 'survive' without recurence.

There's a 'long-term' as well as a 'long-time' survivor thread you can locate using the 'search' button. Most of the 'newly diagnosed' are using the same chemo/Herceptin schedule as yours.

Click on the 'hot' link on the home page and you can see the threads in reverse chronological order.

Several members have participated in Clinical Trials and achieved 'NED' status. (No evidence of disease) Check out the 'Newly diagnosed' threads and get inspired.

Love and prayers to you also.

vlcarr 09-05-2010 11:00 AM

Hi Joletta,

My onc told me the chance of recurrence was around 25%. She assured me that after the clinical trial and having herceptin & tykerb that she felt my odds were really good. Considering I started out with an 8cm tumor, the clinical trail was a huge success for me.

I'm learning to be positive and find that time makes it easier. I'm sure you'll hear the same thing from other ladies on the board. After all, none of us are a statistic.

I have confidence you will do well! Keep the faith.

Lien 09-05-2010 01:15 PM

I think that the odds have improved enormously with the new targeted therapies like Herceptin. Your onc is right, your chances of surviving are pretty good. None of us know why or how we survived, so we do what we can, and it seems to work for most of us.

Ofcourse you are scared, and confused right now. It's normal. And it will fade. And if the fear gets to you in the middle of the night, we are here to lend our ears, shoulders and arms to listen, support and hug you.

Love

Jacqueline

sassy 09-05-2010 01:47 PM

Joletta,

I was dx stage IIIa with 5 of 14 pos nodes and am doing well 5 1/2 years later. We are the ones writing the statistics now since this regimen began wide usage 5 years ago. Our odds only keep getting better.

Take deep breaths and don't let worry rob you of today's joy.

My best to you,

chicagoetc 09-05-2010 02:09 PM

Joletta,

If you look, my profile is somewhat similar to yours (re diagnosis and treatment). My oncologist said basically the same thing after surgery...something like the chemo would reduce the chance of recurrence by 50%, radiation 50% and herceptin some additional amount. I may have it wrong here...but I know the combined calculated percentage was 85% or close to it. Though I get confused re whether the doctors are talking about recurrence or metastises or survival. Whatever it is, we're fortunate I think. Especially that we weren't diagnosed before herceptin was standard treatment for earlier stage HER2+ cancers.

Melanie

Ruth 09-05-2010 02:57 PM

Joletta ~
I am so sorry that you are having to go this through however this is a great site for support and help. It seems that my treatment plan was very similar to yours. If I wasn't nursing, I would have had surgery first and then chemo...If you read my signature you can see how long ago this has been. I think you have much hope and I want to give you encouragement.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Sandra in GA 09-05-2010 04:18 PM

Joletta,

As you have learned, this diagnosis is the pits! But, as you can see from the others who have responded, there is a lot of life beyond it.

I have just celebrated my second anniversary of surviving and thriving and am beginning to be able to take a deep breath once in a while. When I had 21 positive of 21 lymph nodes, I knew that statisticially I was not in a real good position. My tumor was 3 cm and I also had a 5 cm DCIS growth. I know I am stage III, but I never asked my onc for the specific stage. Somehow I just didn't want to hear more. I was lucky enough to get into a stage II trial for Herceptin and Tykerb. What he told me was, "We are going for a cure!" That was enough encouragement for me. I have also just completed the Walter Reed vaccine trial. I'm just trying to do everything I can to buy as much insurance possible.

I am sure you are going to do well. I know everyone on this boards wishes this for you.

Lots of hugs,
Sandra

krisvell 09-05-2010 05:15 PM

Joletta,
My stats are similar to yours and I have just past my One year anniversary from Dx. My oncologist said I have a 85% - 90% survival rate without recurrence. The same that you heard. So hang in there and cotinue to be strong. I really think staying positive helps a lot.
Reading all these posts further backs up what our Oncologists are saying. Thank you fellow HER2 members for sharing your success stories.

So you, me and many others have a good chance of staying healthy. I am routing for you.

Kris...

Jean 09-05-2010 06:01 PM

Joletta,
Your photo and children are beautiful.
It is only normal in the early stages to have strong feelings of fear. Please know your onc. gave you good advice. Herceptin has changed the odds for all of us.
Also Remember not everyone will recur - along with the better odds that we now have. Also, new treatments and trials are coming forward each year. Do your part
of getting your rest, eating as best as you can, exercise.
Time is a big helper in relaxing your fears. Soon enough you will be posting to us your 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5th etc. etc.
years out.

Sending you best wishes filled with lots of good energy.
Jean

lexigirl 09-05-2010 07:23 PM

Hi Joletta,

First off, I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with bc. However, herceptin has changed the outlook for us her2+ survivors. I never had a clear answer from my onc re cure rate. However, my rads onc was always so supportive. Even though I was diagnosed stage IIIb, with met to my skin, he said that "we are here to cure you of this cancer". I really appreciated that supportive comment from him more than he could ever know!

Hang in there. I am hopeful that you will tolerate the taxol and herceptin txs well. Let us know how you are doing. This is such a terrific site for support and answers to your questions.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

joletta 09-06-2010 06:23 AM

Thank-You to all whom posted..
This is such an inspirational website. God Bless everyone for your kind thoughts.
Joletta

bejuce 09-06-2010 04:42 PM

Hi Joletta,

Welcome to the club no one wants to join. Now that you're here (and I'm sorry you are), you can be certain you'll get lots of support, advice, and love at this site. It's truly a blessed community.

We're lucky to live in this day and age of many new discoveries for HER-2+ breast cancer. This site - as you may have perceived by now - is the best resource out there. Feel free to come here often with any questions you may have.

Wishing you the best in your treatment,

Marcia