HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Exercise (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63505)

Colleen 07-21-2015 09:41 AM

Exercise

As a stage IV BC patient, er-, pr-, HER2+; I find exercise to be the best way for me to take out my frustrations of being a cancer patient for the rest of my life! I swim, do yoga, run, and cycle as my main distractions. My goal this year was to cycle to my chemo appointments, 12 miles each way, just did my first one and will continue from now on. It makes the dreaded drive an exercise adventure and lowers my blood pressure. I also enjoy paddle boarding, skiing, hiking, camping, and anything that takes me away from cancer emotionally, physically, and psychologically. Anyone else out there who uses physical activity to help their cancer woes?

thinkpositive 07-21-2015 09:54 AM

Re: Exercise

Colleen,

Yep, exercise definitely does the trick for me. I enjoy many of the activities that you do. My goal is to get at least two hours of exercise a day. I also find that just being out in my garden and enjoying the sunshine is also very calming for me. It just makes me very happy.

I love that your are biking to treatment. You are awesome! Stay strong.

Take care,
Brenda

IrvineFriend 07-22-2015 10:44 PM

Yep, exercise is a big one. I could never do that extensive of a program as I work 60-70+ hours/ week, but if it wasn't for work, I would be playing more. I know it helped my outcome. I was SO sick during chemo but put my running shoes on and even if I couldn't go more than 5-minutes, I stayed focused on it and the habit.

The problem was that after all my surgeries, chemo, radiation, construction, I felt obligated to return the favor by my job and work, work, work.

I live in a nice area and still am upset that centers and hospitals don't accept that breast cancer patients can still be in their prime, both socially and economically. Prostate cancer patients had support groups at 7 PM but breast cancer was 10 AM. I was in my 40's and moving up in my career.

We're still in the 1900's.

Pamelamary 07-23-2015 12:59 AM

Well done, Colleen! I too try to keep fit, despite the stage IV diagnosis. Doubt that I am in your league though! Depending on your treatment and available support, you might think of getting a lift home from chemo? Keep it up!
Best wishes..... Pam

Colleen 07-23-2015 06:35 AM

@irvine friend I live in Dana Point! Ther is a support group at the breast center in Laguna Hills the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month, I believe they start at 6:30 or 7:00. Or we can start our own support group with walks to the beach etc.

WayTooYoung 08-20-2015 03:02 PM

Hi ladies,

I am naturally very active and currently take boxing and muay tai classes. The excercise drills can be intensive, so I am wondering if the intesity of the excercise can be harmful. I have been hearing people say the adrenaline or cortisol stress levels may increase which can fuel cancer...is this true?

Colleen 08-20-2015 04:36 PM

@WayTooYoung after doing some research I could not find any valid studies link ing excercise with an increased risk for cancer or recurrence. Most of the articles, books, and studies indicate excercise is a healthy endeavor for cancer patients. If you are in doubt I would ask your oncologist. You have been through a challenging battle so far. Stay strong! I am currently receiving infusions every three weeks of herceptin and perjeta, it is working well for me and is a relatively "easy" regimen (I don't feel lousy). I hope theory find a regimen that gives you the same results; NED.

hopingmind 08-25-2016 09:15 PM

I remember a friend ( with breast cancer) who's into yoga. I think a certain cancer team is urging patients to be as physically active as long as they only engage in moderate exercises.