HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Falling (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30393)

Vanessa 10-05-2007 07:03 PM

Falling

I have fallen recently on 3 different occasions. One happened this morning when I had my granddaughter in my arms. I was able to protect her from the fall, thank goodness. When I went to chemo, I decided it was time to fess up and I told my nurse, who in turn called the doctor. They asked a few questions and decided that it could be the high dose of abraxane causing dehydration, so they cancelled my chemo and herceptin and instead gave me IV fluids. The doctor also ordered a stat brain MRI just to be cautious. That was an all day ordeal. Anyway, I should find out by Monday the results. I am planning to still walk the Susan G. Komen 5K tomorrow morning. I am feeling a little bit better since I got the fluids, so I am feeling positive, but I still need your prayers that the MRI will be negative. Anyone else have any problems with falling down while doing chemo?

Mary Jo 10-05-2007 07:43 PM

Vanessa, my prayers are with you that all will be fine with your MRI results.

I walked the 5K at the Susan G. Komen walk a couple weeks ago in Milwaukee and had a ball. Hope you have fun too.

Hugs and Peace,

Mary Jo

Erin 10-05-2007 07:49 PM

Vanessa,

Are you getting dizzy, or are you feeling physically weak and falling because of that? I am curious to hear what you find out.

While I have not actually fallen down, I have had a number of episodes of where I seem to become stupendously uncoordinated for a few seconds and almost go down. It is as if I have forgotten how to walk - I will stumble or veer into a wall. No dizziness, no weakness, no other symptoms. It began about 1/2 way through chemo and still happens a couple of time a week.

Hope your CT goes well. Let us know what you find out.

caya 10-05-2007 08:05 PM

Vanessa -

Hoping that your MRI shows NOTHING, NADA - When I was on chemo I was very weak at times and although I did not fall, I had to sometimes sit down or lie down if I was standing.
Please keep us posted.

all the best
caya

Becky 10-05-2007 08:13 PM

Dear Vanessa

Abraxane and Taxol are the exact same drug active but they are emulsified into solution different ways. I had Taxol and if you remember, I am a runner who could not run for over 2 years because of Taxol. I could walk but did not have the balance for proper foot placement until March of this year (and my last Taxol was 1/31/05!!!).

Anyway, it could well be the Abraxane. Drink up and rest. Its hard to have to concentrate on movement. I remember being in a meeting at work where I couldn't even get up from a chair. It really freaked my colleagues out big time. These drugs are not child's play and sometimes, it really hits us when we experience all the side effects that we didn't even pay attention to when we signed on the dotted line okaying them to give those drugs to us.

Rest up and have a great time tomorrow.

RhondaH 10-06-2007 01:08 AM

Vanessa...

Prayers are on the way. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

dhealey 10-06-2007 02:23 AM

Vanessa, Hope your MRI results are good. I am presently on herceptin only and do occassionaly have some dizziness and feel unbalanced at times. I haven't mentioned this to the onc yet as I was trying to decide if it was coming from my sinus. Anyway sounds like you have a good onc who is being cautious. A good thing. Best of luck

Sheila 10-06-2007 05:01 AM

Vanessa
Hoping the MRI is just fine and it was just the Abraxane or dehydration...I haven't fallen but have had a few dizzy spells while on the Taxol....just a passing thing, but whoa does the room spin!
Thanks for walking in the 5K.....you walk for many of us past and present!

tousled1 10-06-2007 08:33 AM

Vanessa,

I'll be praying that the MRI shows nothing. I know that since I'm on Taxol weekly my legs feel very weak and sometimes just feel like they will give out. I haen't fallen at all though. I attribute my problem to the neuropathy caused by the Taxol.

Jean 10-06-2007 08:53 AM

Vanessa,
During hemo I had a few times where I would feel dizzy and my balance
was out of sink.

Glad you and your Granddaughter did not get hurt. Sending you
all good energy for great result with the MRI. Enjoy your walk
and Kudo's to you for particapting.

Hugs,
jean

Catherine 10-06-2007 09:01 AM

Vanessa,
I agree rest and add the fluids. Will be praying for a "clean" MRI. Glad you fessed up. You are a strong woman, but these drugs are maybe stronger than we are. Do what you need to do to stay safe, we don't want you to mess up that pretty face with a head plant.

Thinking of you, hugs, Catherine

PinkGirl 10-06-2007 12:08 PM

Falls

Hi Vanessa
I fell three times during my chemo and herceptin treatments. The first two happened the same way - I had "squatted" down to pick something up off the floor, and I just rolled over and landed on my side on the floor. The third
time was a "trip". I just didn't get my foot up high enough on the steps and I wiped out - did a good job - split lip, 2 black eyes, and a broken nose. I didn't mention this to my docs. I thought it was from the fatigue, the stress, and the poisons being shot into my veins. I did mention the last one because my face was re-arranged and it was hard to hide. I think there could be a number of reasons for your falling. Good luck with your scans, and hopefully you are just clumsy:)

Peggy 10-06-2007 01:15 PM

Me too!

Vanessa,

I have also fallen a bit. Had two fractures in fact. I simply could not right myself if I got the least bit off balance. Also, I tripped a lot. Anyway, I had the brain MRI and everything was fine. My body just had a hard time with the chemo. I have continued to be dizzy and fall some, so I had another MRI. Everything is still fine. Hopefully, it will be the same for you. I have changed some of my behaviors...I hold on to things more and walk a bit more carefully.

Peggy

PinkGirl 10-06-2007 01:28 PM

being careful

Peggy made some good points about having to be more careful now. I hang onto railings and am very careful on stairs. I sometimes misjudge where I am and walk into walls or edges of doors. I also make sure I am always in "good" shoes because my feet are a mess (hurt all the time). I am extra careful getting into the shower. Since Taxol, my legs and feet haven't been up to par.

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-06-2007 06:08 PM

Watch Your Step

The dizziness and weak legs/feet that misstep and fumble have occurred to me and still do, though way less. I am extra careful, holding on to things, studying steps and inclines, stepping into and out of shower. I have witnessed first hand the effects of dehydration on a dear friend, who had to stop chemo and had a stroke, and from my husband who stopped eating and drinking when in such dire Shingles pain. I had begged both to DRINK. And I am begging you Vanessa, and all those on this board, to please drink 8-10 glasses of bottled water a day, every day. Like it's a prescription for wellness! It's your responsibility! I count the # of glasses I down throughout the day. 11 gulps = 1 glass. STICK WITH THE PROGRAM! PLEASE...

Good luck on the walk, though I wish you wouldn't because of how *dehydrating* it can be on your body. You therefore have to drink even MORE. I know this is a tough task, but it is essential! And nibbles ev 3 hrs keep you fueled and the fire within stoked! You must take this seriously! A broken anything is not a thing any of us needs at this point in time. Sent with pure unconditional genuine love...
Andi

Vanessa 10-06-2007 08:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, concern and prayers. I will let everyone know as soon as I get the results of the MRI. I did do 1/2 of the walk today, as I was quite tired, but I felt okay to attempt it, because my doctor and both of the nurses from her office were there. I drank plenty of water and actually I am feeling quite a bit better today after getting IV fluids. I was concerned about taking a break from chemo and herceptin yesterday, but the nurse assured me a one week break would not hurt, since I am getting a strong dose of Abraxane. I got to walk down the survivor's path and my daughter's cried. I thought about how strong we all are for enduring this disease and the treatments that are so hard. All of you are in my prayers every night as we valiently fight this disease. Thanks again for all of your support!!!!! Oh yea, I can't remember if I mentioned (can't remember much of anything) that my grandchildren were wearing onesies that said "I wear pink for my grandma." They were really cute. I ordered them from Cafe Press.

Mary Jo 10-07-2007 04:40 AM

I'm glad you were able to participate Vanessa. The love that is present at the Susan G. Komen race is really awesome, isn't it? The survivor's parade is quite emotional also, I thought, but it felt awesome to walk in it, right?

The pink onesies brought tears to my eyes. Awwwwww, that is soooooooooooo adorable and awesome and I'm so thankful you are here to enjoy your precious grandchildren.

Glad you are feeling better Vanessa. God be with you tomorrow as you have your MRI. All will be well.http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mary Jo

PinkGirl 10-07-2007 06:19 AM

onesies?

What are onesies?

Vanessa 10-07-2007 10:32 AM

Thank you for your support Mary Jo. I actually had my MRI on Friday, but should find out the results tomorrow. The onesies did look very cute.

Vanessa 10-07-2007 10:34 AM

Pink Girl,

Onesies are the little one piece outfits that button at the bottom and babies wear when they are little.