HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A little Change in my info (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36738)

jones7676 11-21-2008 03:59 PM

A little Change in my info

Update:

Went and met with the anesthesiologist and the doc again today and met with the physcian's assistant instead. It is a good thing that I had many questions ready. He told me my doctor would not be doing the surgery if he didn't think it would help me and/or save my life. (not just a make your life a little longer move which was my fear)

Based on the scan picture the tumor "looks" like cancer and not just a scar tissue. He is planning to take it all and not have to leave any, but it is a little more wrinkly from growing larger. As it turns out they will test a sample of tumor and I will only receive the wafer if it is the proper chemical match.

If I can tolerate it , I will be awake through the entire second half of the operation so that he can "test" as he is getting it out and not injure me and that I should be able to handle them putting the cap back on awake. The symptoms might get worse after if I swell a lot so do not be alarmed. And possibly I may need some speech therapy.

He had no problem with me checking into having Gamma Knife, spot radiology etc. done to what remains (if any) or grows back in Chicago at a later time.

I told him how nervous and scared I was and he said I can call any time this week end and "cancel" myself out if I want. I'm afraid to wait too long and make things worse...........tough decisions and input from those of you who understand is welcome!

Barb

Joan M 11-21-2008 04:48 PM

Barb,

My heart goes out to you over this idea of being awake for part of the surgery and the difficulty they seem to be presenting in general.

I've read about this type of surgery before, where the surgeon needs the patient to speak to confirm how close he or she is to the speech area.

How big is the tumor? Is there any chance that it can be zapped instead, as you mentioned? Especially since it's so close to the speech center.

Is there any way that the surgeon's or your oncologist's office can assist you with making an appointment to see the rads onc? They would be able to get you in faster.

Hang in there!

I love you.

Joan

jones7676 11-21-2008 07:47 PM

It is unfortunate - because of the size at treatment they chose to check it after 2 months instead of one when I had it zapped. I cannot remember the exact measurement - nor can I find the notebook sheet it was written on (yes, I've been "rattled" through this whole process) and that is why. I met with the radiation doctor first and while it wasn't greatly over the guidelines, it is....hence what is happening.

Mary Anne in TX 11-22-2008 04:29 AM

Barb, you're a hero girl! So many things happening at once and you staying on course and doing what needs doing! I haven't been through what you're facing and do not know what is best for you, but I know you're terrific and you surely do have my love and support for each and every step along the way! Please keep letting us know what is happening and how you are doing. Best wishes for smooth sailing.....ma

Catherine 11-22-2008 11:04 PM

Barb,

I hope other people are able to comment about your surgery. I know nothing about this type of surgery. I am posting just to let you know that I am part of the support system out here. Thinking good thoughts for you and wisdom for your doctors.

All the very best, we are behind you as you get through this treatment.

Hugs and Love, Catherine

SoCalGal 11-23-2008 09:55 PM

No one can really understand what is required of us to endure and survive. Awake during brain surgery?! Halo's screwed into our heads. Breasts removed. Drains hanging out all over the place. Needle after needle. Drug after drug. Side effects - real or imagined (as Lani said). Real or imagined - they are all very real. Fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of the known. And yet we persevere. We are warrior women. We want to live. And we want a good quality of life. And I think that's what we keep fighting for. That hope. That determination. For life. For our life that we want and deserve.

Stay strong Barb. Keep fighting. If they want to talk during surgery then tell them all about your fight! I know you can do it.
xoxo Flori