HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Teeth (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63429)

suzan w 07-03-2015 03:59 AM

Teeth

How are everybody's teeth holding out? May seem like a silly question but chemo, arimidex and other factors have done a number on my teeth. In the past ten years they have really deteriorated (yes, I know I am also 10 years older!). Am undergoing total mouth reconstruction now...Crowns for all. My dentist thinks there is probably a correlation with all the cancer treatments. Any thoughts? Oh...and because teeth are not considered medically necessary...not covered by health insurance. Go figure...

tricia keegan 07-03-2015 10:37 AM

Re: Teeth

Suzan I agree and chemo has done a number on my own teeth too, I also notice they're far more sensitive than they were, and don't even get me started on my eye sight! Still, its a small price to pay for NED though:)

PinkGirl 07-03-2015 06:32 PM

Me too. Before I started chemo I went to my dentist for a cleaning and check up. Everything was fine. Had a tooth pulled during chemo and have lost 3 since my treatments ended.

lkc Gumby 07-04-2015 07:28 AM

not silly at all Susan!
My mom had lots of trouble with her teeth, post treatment and I am the same. It's almost like my teeth are not only more porous but also spaces between the teeth are wider now.

Becky 07-04-2015 07:37 AM

Bad, bad, bad. I got a crown, an inlay/onlay And - last May I cracked a tooth below the gum line. I had to get it extracted. Had an implant put in in Decembwr. Had a lump biopsied (was a lipoma) and I FINALLY got my new tooth on the implant last Tuesday. At least I don't look like a hillbilly anymore. After chemo, I needed tons of cavities filled. I think its because the mouth gets so dry .

I work hard at trying to keep my mouth in shape and I am much more diligent at flossing and using Listerine. I am also careful as I don't want to crack another one. Besides all the pain and painful procedures, even with dental benefits an implant is very expensive.

So YES, I have had alot of dental issues too.

SoCalGal 07-04-2015 01:00 PM

Spent thousands on the teeth since 2012. It's been an on-going nightmare but seems to be shhhhhhh quiet right now. Cavities galore, bridges, new crowns, despite being diligent w/oral hygiene and teeth cleaned every 3 mos. This is definite side effect from chronic dry mouth from treatment, dehydration, and yes, when we age gum recession is normal but this amount of loss is extraordinary.

First dentist was alarmist and more scared than me. Fired him. New dentist for past few years is a doll and a "can do" attitude. He just stays steady and keeps fixing things as needed.

StephN 07-04-2015 02:06 PM

Sorry to hear about your teeth Suzan! I have dental ins, which pays for half the cost of a crown, and I am grateful for that!

I would not normally hype a product here, but ---

Biotene - both toothpaste AND mouthwash - for dry mouth. We already had it for hubby and I became a strict user when I started hard chemos in 2000. Since my hubby uses it his tooth loss has completely stopped.

I have had normal issues with ancient fillings cracking needing crowning. I am very careful about not eating really hard crunchy things (like popcorn, corn nuts, etc.) and have never chewed gum.

Getting my 4th crown "seated" on Monday. I already had one when I began treatment and the other two happened probably 7-8 years ago. So, not too bad a record.

However being hormone neg, I did not need ongoing treatment for that, although not sure about harm to teeth and gums from hormone suppressors.

Debbie L. 07-05-2015 09:55 AM

Me too, Suzan. Thanks for asking the question. I've thought to ask it before but have stopped myself, worrying that it's too trivial, in the big picture of breast cancer stuff.

In the past 5 years or so, it seems like every time I go in for a cleaning, the dentist suggests a new crown, due to cracks. My mouth is getting very expensive, even with insurance.

I have not had trouble with cavities, though. I'm guessing (but don't really know) that dry mouth issues = cavities, and something else = cracking?

I've assumed (but again, don't know for sure) that it's chemo aftermath, as I don't think most people have so much trouble at 63. Next week, when I'm scheduled to start yet another crown, I'll ask the dentist (both about dry mouth/cavities, and what could be the cause of cracks). I really hate dental work. I spend the whole time in an internal dialogue -- "okay, deep breath, relax your fingers that are clenched to the armrests". That lasts for about 30 seconds and then I have to do it again. At least my dentist is ultra-gentle, and stops for more novocaine at the slightest wince.

Debbie Laxague

Becky 07-05-2015 12:29 PM

Ask for laughing gas. Seriously, used it during the last 2 procedures and it helps alot.

tricia keegan 07-05-2015 02:09 PM

Me too Debbie, I've had a major phobia since I was a child and add a couple of bad incidents as an adult and now I'm a nervous wreck and only push myself to go when in pain....may try Becky's suggestion.

Yorkiegirl 07-05-2015 04:47 PM

Oh my word don't get me started on teeth. Before Chemo I had a complete check up and all was fine. Ever since and it's now 10 yrs later and I have almost a whole mouth full of crowns. THEN to make matter worse I am starting to get cavities under the crowns which more more work.

I am to the point of asking to have all of my teeth removed and just get dentures. The money I have spent on my teeth is just horrible.

Andrea Barnett Budin 07-06-2015 02:42 PM

Same, same, same.

I LOVE NITROUS. I ask for it to be set a 3 or I'll fly through the ceiling. Sometimes during work I indicate I need it lowered. Find your happy spot. Makes everything wonderful. Beyond relaxing. Eurphoric.

ev 3 mnth hygienist. mouthguard cause i grind. when awake i try not to.

waterpik ev night. sonicare tooth brush and mentadent 2x or more a day. mouthguard ev night!

still issues, just like yall...

Be well!

Love,
A

Mtngrl 07-07-2015 06:00 AM

First a rant about "medically necessary." Seriously? Dental health is directly linked to other diseases and conditions.

On that note, I have a friend with bone mets who started on Zometa, then had to stop because she needs four root canals. She has NO money. Her insurance covers only extraction. She can't get the teeth pulled because of the risk of jaw necrosis. She got paperwork showing that in her case the root canals are medically necessary, but can't find a dentist to do them. She thinks they're freaked out by the risk of jaw necrosis. This has been going on for over 6 months.

As for those of us in less extreme circumstances, I think dry mouth is a factor, but also immune suppression. When I was on chemo I noticed a lot more plaque in my mouth. Plaque = bacteria, which cause decay.

Donna H 07-08-2015 02:58 PM

I hadn't had a cavity in 10+ years but that all changed after chemo. My dentist put the blame squarely on chemo. I have a mouth full of cavities to fix before I start treatment for my newly dx of osteoporosis. I just started seeing an endocrinologist to see if there is any underlying reason for the osteoporosis, other than early menopause. I started taking Femara in January so bone health is yet another new thing to treat/worry about etc. But I am very glad to be NED - that is most important. Everything else is a balancing act.

AlaskaAngel 07-09-2015 05:17 AM

Thanks, Suzan, for asking. Mine are a very spendy mess at 13 years out w/o bc recurrence and with some dental insurance.

My DDS recommended Biotene also, and even though my mouth doesn't feel dry to me, he says it is. (Shoot, why wouldn't my mouth be dry? My hair is dry, my skin is so dry that I have chronic itching and have to use Cetaphil for that, my ears don't produce much earwax....)

In my case, one can't blame any of it on trastuzumab or on using an AI, either. And I was only on tamoxifen for 1 1/2 years. But I did have CAF x 6.

A.A.

jaykay 07-09-2015 02:25 PM

Oh my teeth (and gums)! Not sure I can blame it on chemo, Herceptin or AI's, though.

Full mouth gum surgery in 1989-1990, 4 times a year at the periodontist for teeth cleaning, check ups. 2 implants with bone grafts (one before chemo and one after), another one in waiting. Root canals, crowns, onlays, fillings.

Used Biotene products through chemo - mouthwash, toothpaste, gel and my mouth didn't suffer at all.

I have been using prevident toothpaste (prescription fluoride) for the past 4 months and my hygienist said she could really tell a difference (positive). Something else you may want to mention to the dentist

I guess I'm just happy that most of my teeth are still in my mouth after 25 years. Never really thought about the after effects of chemo and other drugs

Janis

Jean 07-11-2015 06:51 AM

Yes for sure....I have been going to see my dentist every 3 months for a cleaning.

AlaskaAngel 07-11-2015 12:03 PM

P.S. Happy BD Suzan - rock those socks off today!!!

harrie 07-11-2015 03:10 PM

I had no dental problems as a result of my chemo of TCH. There can be other factors that can increase the risk of dental problems such as dry mouth. Dry mouth can possibly be a side effect from certain meds as well as stress. A sig decrease in saliva can put one at risk for dental decay. This can be counted by making changes in your oral hygiene daily routine.
Sometimes people suck on hard candies to help alleviate dry mouth. If done too often, can make one very high risk for decay.
There are products on the market to help prevent decay.
Clenching can also increase risk of causing fractures or putting undue stress on roots of teeth. Clenching is not uncommon with acute stress. The side effects of clenching can also be minimized with awareness, massages, etc.
Biotene is suppose to be designed for dry mouth. I heard of one person that does "oil pulling" which is swishing with coconut oil. If I had dry mouth, I would try that.
Various products to help reduce dental decay: Sensodyne Restore and Repair, Prevident was mentioned earlier and thats good, MI Paste (RX) should help considerably.

StephN 07-11-2015 09:50 PM

Harrie!

Good to hear from you and you ought to know about these things ...

Good tip on the coconut oil - never heard of it before.