HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Subcutaneous herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59724)

Ellie F 12-11-2013 06:07 AM

Subcutaneous herceptin

Hi everyone
My onc centre has started using sub cutaneous herceptin recently. Anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks
Ellie

vicky6 07-02-2014 11:26 AM

Re: Subcutaneous herceptin

Hi Ellie

You will probably know what it's like by now but just in case anyone else is interested I thought my experience might help with your question. They have started sub cut Herceptin injections into the thigh this year, in the UK. I have had 7 by drip and 5 by sub cut, so far. It takes 5mins to inject and stings, it leaves a puffy area and a rash but the rash is not sore or itchy so not a problem, it fades over 10 days. Not everyone has these symptoms, some do not have the sting or the rash. Having had both ways I much prefer the sub cut as it's over with quickly and you are no longer tied to the drip. At the moment we still have to stay in the clinic for observation for two hours, but the aim is for this eventually to be done at your local doctors clinic or self administered at home.

Regards Vicky

Rolepaul 07-02-2014 12:35 PM

I thought England said no Herceptin reimbursement for public insurance.

vicky6 07-02-2014 01:15 PM

Yes Herceptin is free on the NHS (national health service) now. I started the treatment in October 2013.

Vicky

Nurse4u2day 07-02-2014 02:05 PM

I have never heard of the Subq injection of herceptin. I had my first herceptin alone drip last week. Although I personally would not do it simply because I'm afraid of needles ( I have a port) what an exciting advancement this is for so many. The financial burden alone of taking time off work to do the drips, the car drives etc. I love it.

Tamara

redwhiteblue 07-04-2014 03:03 AM

I have had 7 sub.cut..After 3 Years being on the drip (bone mets) I could not be happier: If I am lucky and it is not to busy I`m in and out the hospital in 20 minutes (including bisphosphonat-injection. First two injections it looked a bit like an enormous moskito bite, but that went down quickly. Now there is nothing, nurses say it is because they are experienced now (I was their first patient) Needle is very thin, compared with the sharp pain I experienced when they put the port-needle in this is heaven. Hospital was first very reluctant (staff has to be trained, they need a seperate room because the other patients could see your thigh(!!!) Now they are promoting it , it turnes out that the cancelation rate has gone down, people like me (self-employed) donĀ“t have to waste
time and money just staring at a drip. This sessions were a constant reminder that I am a cancerpatient (most of the time I forget it). and seeing patients who were obviously not doing very well especially the very young ones really depressed me.O, by the way:SE:I used to be very tired with flue like symtoms after the drip, that is gone as well.
Next stop: I want to inject myself and then I will be FREE (more or less).
Hendrina
(living in the Netherlands, beeing treated in Germany, we live on the border