HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   chemo port (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63069)

leldredge1 04-27-2015 06:15 PM

chemo port

I will be receiving my last herceptin infusion in a couple of weeks. I would really like to have my chemo port removed ASAP. When I told another nurse I work with that I'm planning to have it removed he advised me to keep it in for awhile. I know that I could have a recurrence of cancer but is that a good reason to keep the port?

Lisalou 04-27-2015 07:12 PM

Re: chemo port

I was offered to have the port taken out on the same day as the last infusion, which is this week-Yeah! it can easily be put back in IF that ties would come

jaykay 04-28-2015 05:30 AM

I had mine removed about 1 month after my last Herceptin. Saw no reason to keep it. The funny thing is that it failed on my last Herceptin and I had to get infused via my arm.

Janis

snolan 04-28-2015 07:18 AM

I had mine removed a few weeks after my last infusion. I had a friend that kept hers in for 6 months after her first PET scan check up. She just wanted to make sure all was good.

europa 04-28-2015 08:28 AM

i'm the weirdo that refused to let them take it out. I have had mine for 2 years and a half years after my last infusion. But I have a good reason. I am on two trials that demand a lot of research blood. Sometimes I go in and they take 12-15 tubes of blood. That ain't happening through my arm. So, when I'm done, which I believe is in 2 years, I will be deported. :)

bonnie 04-28-2015 08:51 AM

I had the same experience. The nurse practitioner was shocked when I wanted to take my port out as soon as possible and wanted me to leave it longer just in case. Thankfully my doctor agreed I didn't need it any longer and it was removed a week after treatment. It's been over 10 years now and I have been thankful I had that reminder out, although I do have a scar and that's reminder enough.

Carol Ann 04-28-2015 04:29 PM

I had mine removed as soon as I could, I had to wait an extra couple of weeks because I came down with shingles. So much more comfortable, although it didn't bother me too much at all when it was in.

Carol Ann

leldredge1 04-28-2015 07:06 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice I'm going to have it removed. :)

Kkmom 04-28-2015 07:53 PM

Laurie,
Yeah for you - finishing up herceptin and getting your port out. I got my port out about a month after I finished my last herceptin. For some reason, getting that port out made me feel like I was really NED. Pam

Donna H 04-30-2015 09:34 AM

My last Herceptin is May 11th. I plan to ask about getting the port removed as soon as I can. It was helpful to read about those who have had their port removed soon after finishing treatment. The port is great at saving veins but it is creepy looking. It can't be deported soon enough!

bonnie 04-30-2015 09:57 AM

I didn't have any problems with my port and if I ever needed one again, I'd have one put in. It made treatment easier. However, like I said earlier, when I didn't need it any longer, I wanted it removed as soon as possible.

Lnmum 04-30-2015 05:03 PM

My last herceptin was 3/12. Port out 3/23. It felt like a sweet victory. I can always get anew one, if I need it.

IrvineFriend 05-05-2015 11:11 PM

Too busy and lazy to have it removed. Doesn't hurt anything. When I catch a breath, I'll have it removed. I just turned 50 and now I have all kinds of other things to do like a uterine biopsy and colonoscopy. Work full time so it's the last of my worries.

Donna H 05-14-2015 09:57 AM

My last Herceptin was Monday. I called the surgeon to schedule port removal as soon as I got home from the oncologist office. I took the first appointment he had!